Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 11:23   #1

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
ICOM VHF repair (cheap)

I bought an ICOM M422 new from Defender about 5 years ago. It started acting strangely a few months ago in that it would receive transmissions for a few seconds to a minute after turning it on and then it would not receive unless the squelch was nearly turned off. I was able to confirm the the radio was transmitting loud and clear. My dilemma was to fix a 5 year old radio that already had a RAM mic mounted in the cockpit or buy new. I called the main US ICOM facility in Washington and they said to send it in. To check the radio would cost $42 and they would tell me what the repair would cost beyond that plus return shipping. On their website I found another regional ICOM repair facility much closer. After speaking with one of their technicians, he told me that ICOM had a bad batch of filters and he was pretty confident that was the problem. Here is the kicker, he told me ICOM would cover it free of charge even though the radio was out of warranty!!!!! I mailed the radio to them and just got it back today, in less than a week, which is a miracle in itself here in the Islands...
Total cost was about $15 for shipping to them. They covered the return shipping.

One could look at this many ways. Why did ICOM's main location wish to charge me a minimum of $42 plus return shipping when a regional repair place didn't?:hothead If ICOM knew they had bad parts in an important safety device, why didn't they contact registered owners?:hothead You could also say that fixing a 5 year old radio (two years out of warranty) for free is very good customer service.

Bottom line, I'm happy to have my radio back and working for such a small investment. If you have an ICOM that is having similar problems, it might be worth a few calls and some postage.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 12:46   #2

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Re: ICOM VHF repair (cheap)

Which ICOM regional repair facility? I have a 2 y/o 422 w/same problems, bit the bullet and bought their newer version 424/197 but will like to have a back up radio. Thanks
Old 28-09-2012, 14:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by velero View Post
Which ICOM regional repair facility? I have a 2 y/o 422 w/same problems, bit the bullet and bought their newer version 424/197 but will like to have a back up radio. Thanks
Don't know who the other fellow used I,have had good service thru the Tallahassea?Fl Icom srevice center.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:53   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by velero View Post
PM sent.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, icom, vhf