Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 12:47   #61

Re: Icom Radios - deterioration of microphone cable

Update from February 2013. ICOM replaced our cord 3 seasons ago no fuss, no hassle, no charge no questions asked. See attached photo. White cord leading to yellowing mike head. Yes they had a quality issue, admitted to it and provided a solution. If you have a problem with yours, take the time to let them make right. How often does this happen? Again thanks to this forum for letting others know about it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442087196199.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	108913  
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:31   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

alibi,
It's Saturday evening, so I cannot call 'em now, but the Icom website still shows "Icom Service Center - Florida" in Tallahassee....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
I contacted Williams Communications last week (via email) and they (the president ) said they don't service ICOM stuff! I have now emailed ICOM AMERICA direct and will post a followup.
Here's the info directly from the Icom site:
Quote:
Icom Service Center - Florida
5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Phone: (800) 649-5783
Fax: (850) 575-0346

Icom America, Inc.
Service Department
12421 Willows Road NE
Kirkland, WA 98034
Phone: (800) 306-1380
So, if you find this info to be out-of-date, please let us all know...

Thanks!

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:05   #63

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

Yes John- Thanks for the response. I called them and got instructions from the tech (Jason I believe). I sent my mic to him and got it back in about 1 week! No charge, no hassle!
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 12:55   #64

Hi,

I also have the problem with the ICOM M602 microphone cable. I called ICOM technical support/service center and while they acknowledged the defect, I was told they no longer offer free replacement; they no longer make the M602 or its microphone (M136). I asked if I could buy a replacement part and was told they no longer have parts for this radio.

I was told their free replacement policy for out of warranty products was good while supplies lasted. They are out of parts.

I'm SOL. ICOM agreed.

I was a big fan of ICOM. ICOM has lost a customer!
Golden Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 09:56   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rod View Post
Hi,

I also have the problem with the ICOM M602 microphone cable. I called ICOM technical support/service center and while they acknowledged the defect, I was told they no longer offer free replacement; they no longer make the M602 or its microphone (M136). I asked if I could buy a replacement part and was told they no longer have parts for this radio.

I was told their free replacement policy for out of warranty products was good while supplies lasted. They are out of parts.

I'm SOL. ICOM agreed.

I was a big fan of ICOM. ICOM has lost a customer!
While I understand the frustration, you have to realize that the M602 was being sold in 2002, 17 years ago now, and since then Icom has updated that version to the M603, M604, and now the M605.. Do you really expect any manufacturer to guarantee spare parts for a device for that long? It would be different if they still made that model of course, but it's long since discontinued and to produce just one microphone right now would likely cost them thousands of dollars in tooling costs if not more.

The fact that they were willing to replace the parts for free while supplies lasted was already above and beyond what most manufacturers would provide.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:26   #66
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

They were not willing to replace the cords on mine for free. I had to pay around $120 in shipping which I refused. They were only helping those with direct access to USPS.

Then the cables on the two remote mikes went. Same story, end of Icom for me.

I recommend Standard Horizon.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:28   #67
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They were not willing to replace the cords on mine for free. I had to pay around $120 in shipping which I refused. They were only helping those with direct access to USPS.

Then the cables on the two remote mikes went. Same story, end of Icom for me.

I recommend Standard Horizon.
Meanwhile I just had to send a relatively new Standard Horizon radio in to them for repair because it literally doesn't work the way it's supposed to, from new. Nobody is perfect.
Old 29-03-2019, 14:28   #68

Hi,

When I buy from a company that emphases quality, I expect their product to out last their warranty and the company to stand behind their product. ICOM is not Harbor Freight!

I am not surprised ICOM doesn't stock old parts and it was nice to hear ICOM acknowledge the problem and offered free replacement while supplies lasted.

What surprises me is that ICOM doesn't have a long-term solution for a known defective product, especially a popular selling product. I expected ICOM to provide a work around. Technical Support was no help, no suggestions, nothing. Technical support could have said this is the type of wire and connectors you will need to replace/replace the cable. They didn't.

I have several other ICOM radios which will probably face the same fate.
Golden Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 20:06   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rod View Post
Hi,

When I buy from a company that emphases quality, I expect their product to out last their warranty and the company to stand behind their product. ICOM is not Harbor Freight!

I am not surprised ICOM doesn't stock old parts and it was nice to hear ICOM acknowledge the problem and offered free replacement while supplies lasted.

What surprises me is that ICOM doesn't have a long-term solution for a known defective product, especially a popular selling product. I expected ICOM to provide a work around. Technical Support was no help, no suggestions, nothing. Technical support could have said this is the type of wire and connectors you will need to replace/replace the cable. They didn't.

I have several other ICOM radios which will probably face the same fate.
I wonder if anyone has tried using the HM135 (M802) Microphone with the M602. I don't know if the pinout is the same but the M802 mic is still available. Just a thought if anyone has a way to test one.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:21   #70

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The black Icom M602 microphone cable jacket disintegrated on mine. It was in the cockpit, exposed to the elements.

The white Command Mic cable remains perfect. It is in the salon, protected from the elements.

The mic cable was swapped by me w/ a replacement part purchased from the manufacturer. It is NO problem to perform the swap, unscrew, disassemble, then reassemble.

The M602 VHF radio is excellent and gets my high recommendation, even after this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
alibi,
It's Saturday evening, so I cannot call 'em now, but the Icom website still shows "Icom Service Center - Florida" in Tallahassee.... Here's the info directly from the Icom site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
I contacted Williams Communications last week (via email) and they (the president ) said they don't service ICOM stuff! I have now emailed ICOM AMERICA direct and will post a followup.

So, if you find this info to be out-of-date, please let us all know...
Quote:
Icom Service Center - Florida
5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Phone: (800) 649-5783
Fax: (850) 575-0346

Icom America, Inc.
Service Department
12421 Willows Road NE
Kirkland, WA 98034
Phone: (800) 306-1380
Thanks!

John
That listed Tallahassee, FL location no longer services marine radios.

My HM-127W has been located in my salon since installation.

The exterior jacket recently started disintegrating.

The icom Service Department was contacted at (800) 306-1380.

They instructed me to ship this for their No Charge Cord Replacement to:
Icom Service
12421 Willows Road NE
Kirkland, WA 98034

They instructed me to include my return address, E-Mail address and phone number. I also should list that I seek the No Charge Cord Replacement.

This is excellent support for a 14 year old product!

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:00   #71

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

My HM-127W was shipped to the icom Service Department.

It took under two weeks from shipment to returned, repaired unit back in-hand.

They performed a free one-time courtesy no charge repair, swapping the cord, from one w/ a crumbled exterior jacket, to one w/ a beautiful glossy jacket.

The service paperwork returned w/ the unit shows that ~$140 service was performed at no charge.

This is EXCELLENT customer support for an unexpected problem caused by a defective component!
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 15:31   #72

Boat: Swan CC 55

Great advise, they told me to ship it and they will replace
swanhaerlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 13:13   #73

Anyone know where I can find the 8pin end for a HM-136B mic? This plugs into an Icom M602

Thank you,
Pete
Old 09-09-2022, 09:44   #74

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

An update: admittedly my radio is 12 years old, but is seldom used. However, my microphone has the same problem cord deterioration as ICOM802 radios back in 2013.

As then, the HM-135 cord issue continues to reflect negatively given the underlying problem was poor manufacturing (in China?). No replacements are available anywhere. No interest in out-or-warranty repair except at the standard $100 per hour plus parts and shipping.

If anyone has a 'fix', it would be much appreciated. Currently, I am searching for alternative parts (cable and connector, and re-soldering in the microphone
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 18:18   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by capbuckandpippy View Post
Hi all
We are encountering the same problems with our fist mike cable. It is a Simrad RD68. What you describe is exactly what is happening to the coiled cable sheathing... started crumbling off in pieces when the radio was less than four years old. We will contact the manufacturer and see how we get on.
My Simrad RD68 mike has the crumbling cord syndrome as well, and it’s only at the end of its second year.
It still works, so I have encased it in a long plastic bag with rubber bands at the ends, and handle it very carefully for the time being.
Must have been sourced from the same place as the Icom!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom