Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Icom MXA 5000 AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK after reading the MXA 5000 manual I see that 4 was wrong, the correct answer is 3. The radio receive goes via the splitter but the radio transmit bypasses the splitter via relay contacts. However if the AIS receiver is turned off, the splitter is removed from the circuit so if you really need to, you can turn off the AIS and "recover" the 3.5 dB loss back into your radio receiver.

So as others have stated, one could expect a small loss in Tx power due to the connectors, relay contacts etc but it should be typically only 1 dB.

One could argue as that the AIS receiver also goes via the internal splitter, then answer 1 is also correct but as the AIS is designed to always have the splitter in its circuit, IMO it becomes meaningless to suggest that this AIS receiver is so affected.
Bingo!

The answer to my query. Thank you very much, and one might well wonder why I didn't think of downloading the manual! I'm pretty good about reading the manual when I get a bit of kit, but it somehow never occurs to me before hand.

I'll try to remember next time!

And thanks to all who replied.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-10-2011, 14:06   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
....... and one might well wonder why I didn't think of downloading the manual! I'm pretty good about reading the manual when I get a bit of kit, but it somehow never occurs to me before hand.
Don't feel too bad.
I don't know what the situation is like outside Australia (and I am too lazy to find out) but one can't download a service manual from Icom Australia without a dealer password. Anyone can download an installation manual but that doesn't answer your question.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 22:14   #18

I am considering getting the MXA 5000, but would like to know if it is compatable with the Garmin 440s chartplotter's "sentence format". That garmin is 0183 but is it fully compatible/will it work when I hook the - &+ wires up? My vhf is new (standard horizon 1600, so I have little doubt that the ICOM will work with that -though the same questio applies about compatibility between the old garmin and the vhf.
alligatordoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, icom