Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 21:11   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Icom M92D DSC Handheld

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That is what a personal AIS-SART is for.

Mark
I realize that, but DSC VHF radio is better in several respects, in my opinion. First of all, DSC messages are more robust and more likely to get through than AIS messages, and to go further. Second, a DSC distress message sets off a piercing alarm on all vessels which receive it. Third, a DSC VHF radio provides two-way communication. Lastly, a DSC VHF radio fulfills other purposes, like ordinary short-range comms.

Therefore, I would much rather have a compact DSC VHF radio on my person, than an AIS-SART, if someone would produce such a thing.

I do have a PLB in my life jacket, but that won't help much for an immediate MOB recovery since the signal is not received on board. Also, I only have one of them.

I also have a 121.5mhz MOB beacon -- two transmitters, and one directional locator. The transmitters go around your neck and go off automatically if they hit water. I bought them from a person back from a multi-year cruise; they are somewhat dated and probably need battery replacements. I have not yet put them into service. They must have cost a fortune -- I reckon thousands -- when they were new.

Better than any of this would be a simple, $200, very compact DSC VHF radio, in my opinion.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 16:20   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Defender is selling the HX851 for $212.79 plus shipping. Until Dec. 31 there is a $30 rebate from SH. So now this radio is less than $200 including shipping. Maybe Santa will get me one...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I realize that, but DSC VHF radio is better in several respects, in my opinion. First of all, DSC messages are more robust and more likely to get through than AIS messages, and to go further.
How do you figure that? DSC is on marine VHF channel 70. AIS is on marine channels 87B and 88B. Same sorts of data streams from the same radios in the same locations. How can DSC be more robust than AIS?

Quote:
Second, a DSC distress message sets off a piercing alarm on all vessels which receive it.
True.

Quote:
Third, a DSC VHF radio provides two-way communication.
True.

Quote:
Lastly, a DSC VHF radio fulfills other purposes, like ordinary short-range comms.
True.

On the other hand AIS/PLB-SART radios go off when they hit the water.

I don't think there is a clear winner, and there is certainly a limit to how much 'stuff' we can strap on while on watch. Choices.

Don't fall off the boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 14:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

How do you figure that? DSC is on marine VHF channel 70. AIS is on marine channels 87B and 88B. Same sorts of data streams from the same radios in the same locations. How can DSC be more robust than AIS?
There are many more DSC receivers than AIS at this time. DSC MOB alert continues automatically until someone answers the call. Power output on DSC can be higher than AIS B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Don't fall off the boat.
+100%
Old 01-12-2013, 17:05   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I presume anyone who purchases an AIS-SART already has an AIS receiver on board. That's the whole point of having a personal recovery system on a boat, after all.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 17:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
FWIW 121.5 is no longer monitored, yes of course it can be DF'd if someone knows to look.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 09:31   #22

Boat: PT-11

An update on the HX851: Beware, after a year's use, the battery now lasts less than 3 hours on standby. It won't get through an entire watch. So if, like me, you planned to use it as a device to be worn on night watches so a MOB can relay his coordinates back to the boat, the short battery life will leave you with a nagging worry. Apparently realizing they had a problem, SH now puts a longer-lived battery in the radio, but won't provide it to buyers of the weaker battery. They offered for me to ship mine back at my expense so they could "test" it, but doing that while on the go in Central America would be far too costly and troublesome. So if you planned to use it this way, be sure to get the better battery. For me, I will use my ICOM M92D, which lasts much longer, or a less bulky, non-GPS handheld and hope the MOB can see the boat's lights.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 16:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
An update on the HX851: Beware, after a year's use, the battery now lasts less than 3 hours on standby. (...) Apparently realizing they had a problem, SH now puts a longer-lived battery in the radio, but won't provide it to buyers of the weaker battery. (...) So if you planned to use it this way, be sure to get the better battery.
Thanks for the info SVNeko. How to tell which battery is which? I just bought the HX851 and would be great to figure out which I have...
galacticair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 17:19   #24

They have different product numbers. Not sure what they are but a little googling will get you there.
Old 14-12-2013, 18:00   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If someone finds out will they post the answer?
Old 15-12-2013, 01:02   #26

The standard battery that comes with HX851 is FNB-121LI. It is a 1380mAH 7.4V LI battery. I don't know if that is different than the early HX851 units they shipped.

Defender sells this pack for $34 plus ground shipping. Ground only because it is LI. Defender also sells the alkaline tray FBA-38 for $20 plus shipping.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:29   #27

FNB V99LI is the old one.
Old 15-12-2013, 09:27   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So assuming I go internet shopping, how will I know it I'm getting the old or the new battery?
Old 15-12-2013, 11:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So assuming I go internet shopping, how will I know it I'm getting the old or the new battery?
Just received new HX851 from Defender and it came with the 1380mAh battery. Charged it yesterday until full (about 4 hours). Has been running in scan mode with intermittent reception of weather forecasts for 12 hours. No indication of battery low level yet.

I suspect unless you are shopping on used sites or grey market you will get the latest battery.
Old 15-12-2013, 17:25   #30

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That is interesting battery data. We have had our HX851 for two years and the battery hasn't lost any capacity as far as I can tell. We don't use it as a main radio or keep it on standby for long periods - it gets used every few days for a hour or so. I think it has only been on the charger 3-4 times total over the past 2 years and it has never shown the low battery icon. However, we are not using it like you do.

Hopefully ours doesn't follow yours into early battery death.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, icom