Good afternoon all
I am after some advice
, as I know there is a huge wealth of knowledge on this site, and it could potentially save me a lot of time, hassle and money
I am currently delivering on a good friends Grand Soleil 45 currently in A Courna, Spain
, and the boat
is making it’s way over to Grenada
We have a ICOM
M802 and AT140 fitted and then connected through to the insulated backstay, and a KISS grounding wire system.
When crossing Biscay over the last few days I have managed to receive weather
fax to a good standard, however the unit does not appear to be transmitting at all.
I have had a good read of quite a few of the previous blog posts and tried to follow the diagnostic that have been suggested to others as much as possible, I shall try and list what I have tried and if you have any more suggestions I would be really grateful.
I feel the next step may be to take it out and get a ICOM
dealer to have a look at it, but I hope it’s a simple fix.
- Voltage at the transceiver and at the ATU on the control cable is 13.4V.
- Using a clamp on amp meter on the input when the unit is on it draws around 2.4 amps. When the PTT button is pushed in low, med
or high mode on FKS mode this goes up to only 5.8 Amps.
- When the PTT button is pushed there is 1 click on the main unit and the ATU.
- Upon pushing the PTT button on the screen
“TX” comes on, no bars appear at all.
- Upon pressing “Tune”, “TX” briefly flashes and then “THRU” is displayed.
- I have checked the Coxial cable between the main unit and the ATU, both core
show around 3-4 Ohms. High resistance when cross connected at one end.
- Connection from output of tuner to backstay is still ok.
- I do not know the last time a good voice transmission
was made (or if one ever has been made on this yacht) I know that really doesn’t help!
If there are any other checks I should do before I look at trying to find someone in Spain
to have a look and no doubt fork out a load of money
hunting a read herring, any advice
would be really appreciated.
The ultimate goal is to get the Pactor
IIe working to RX GRIB for Atlantic crossing
in Jan, but just some Voice TX for now would be good!
S/Y Magic Dragon