Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 08:58   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Icom M802 Ssb tx problem?

You are very welcome!

And, I too have my fingers crossed.

Do keep us posted.

Fair winds....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 09:21   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You should also fit an analog amp meter (0-50 amps) in the DC wiring while you are waiting, and/or pick up an HF SWR meter (used on Ebay) to go in the coax between the transmitter and tuner.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 19:09   #18

Don,
You make good suggestions here....although an analog amp meter just for the radio might be overkill (as I've had excellent results using clamp-on amp meters, from Klein, Fluke, as well as cheap "harbor freight"/made-in-China clamp on DC amp meters)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You should also fit an analog amp meter (0-50 amps) in the DC wiring while you are waiting, and/or pick up an HF SWR meter (used on Ebay) to go in the coax between the transmitter and tuner.
But, having an independent way of measuring your output power (and VSWR) is great....and keeping in-line permanently is good...
(and having some way of measuring current draw is also important for setting PACTOR drive levels as well as troubleshooting radio / transmit issues)

Fair winds

John
Old 23-10-2018, 20:55   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

John,
since I have had digital multimeters go bananas when I am transmitting, I am leery of trusting clamp on ammeters for measuring transmitter power, especially on boats which do not have great ground systems. However, I have successfully used both analog panel ammeters and SWR power meters for diagnosing transmitter antenna issues and setting pactor modulation levels.

Don KK6DQ
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:28   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Just, heard back from Icom!

The external power plug was faulty causing voltage problem , all connections inide were checked and ok....AND.......

The voice compression was turned OFF!

So John was correct.

They have bench tested it and all is good, unfortunately I will have to wait until mid november to test it out, but by then I will have new high voltage lead, power leads and new control cable, so fingers crossed!

Once again, thank you to all who gave me tips and help, reallly helped.

Will report back mid november with the good; (i hope),news.[emoji3]

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:54   #21

Charlie,
Congrats on the successful news!!

And, you're very welcome!

Perhaps we can work out an on-air sked when your radio is back on-board and working well??

fair winds to you!!

John

~~~~~~~~~~~

And, Don, I do agree that digital meters are suspect in high RF environs, and as such I also prefer analog meters....
Although, I have had good success with clamp-on digital DC amp meters from Klein, Fluke, and a cheap one I bought at Harbor Freight Tools...
Btw, my fluke is at home on shore....my Klein corroded over the past few years and is "flakey", so is now somewhere in the garage...my cheap one, is surprisingly still working perfectly and compares accurately to my fluke, and is my electrical parts bag on-board as we speak...(you just never know what's gonna surprise you....guess that's why they're called surprises, huh?)

Also, my SALT Systems TM-500 battery system monitor (which uses 4 hall-effect current sensors on four different DC power systems, "battery", "solar", "alternator", and "charger"/"towed-water-gen") has occasionally showed a weird number on its digital display while I was transmitting on some specific freq....but always returned to accurate reading / display once I stopped transmitting, and this never effected the over all readings / count / etc...and since it only happened once-in-a-while, I assumed it was RF being picked up by some of the sensor wires being a resonant length?? But, since it never bothered me, I never looked into it...and it hasn't occurred in a long while...

Fair winds...

John
Old 29-10-2018, 14:38   #22

Boat: Moody 49

John,

Just love the videos, so grateful for you time and expertise. Followed the thread as I am struggling with Voice comms!

Just to be sure my ICOM 802 came in 2017, I have had voice comms, also Weather and stuff via the Practor 4.

BUT

How do I check the Voice Compressor is on?

Mark
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:48   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Old thread, but as OP i wanted to update... still no luck with transmissions.

I got a electrician to do a check on SWR at the tuner and it is around 1.2 or 1.3 he commented that there was almost no reflection, and the signal was very strong and steady, one of the best he had seen.

On full power I am outputting between 120 and 140 watts.

Tuner works properly.

Clear whistle brings 19A of current draw.

Voltage does not drop below 11.5v on tranmission from 12.7volt starting point.

All connectors cleaned and checked for bent pins.

Yet, no one can make out my voice , chris parker says strong signal but nothing recognisable as a human voice. Local boats here a click and nothing else.

Mic swapped and works fine.

Compression mod done.

Soooooo.... it has to be a faulty unit I reckon, getting a bit fed up with it now, but will return to icom AGAIN to see if they can figure out.

RX fine, TX strong but nothing recognisable as a human voice and pactor modem will not connect to shore stations, i presume due to not transmitting properly.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, ssb