Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 18:16   #1

Boat: Bristol 40, HopeFloats
Icom M802

I am trying to install an Icom M802 using a AT130. 1: Are these compatible? The tuner starts to tune Then THRU is displayed on the screen. The Icom tech support said ditch the 130 and install a AT-140 then talk to us. The 130 is listed as and accessory. If I key the mic.and whistle no RF is generated. I don't have a dummy load or power meter. I was hoping for plug and play. I have These items coming Monday. Just asking should I (to save time) go ahead and order a At-140? I did check all connection and the local installer came out and quickly checked my work and said it's all connect as the manual says. Any ideas what I can to until Monday?
Old 21-11-2012, 18:39   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick
Re: Icom M802

I would get the 140. I know it says it will work - prolly not. Just my 2 cents.
Old 21-11-2012, 19:13   #3
Eternal Member

The Icom AT-130 is compatible with the M-802. However, you need to determine if the AT130 you have is working correctly. A power/swr meter would certainly be helpful in doing the testing.

Meanwhile, check and re-check all connections from the radio to the tuner and from the tuner to the antenna and RF ground system. Be especially careful in examining the Molex connector for the control wire between the radio and the tuner, particularly at the tuner end. This is a common source of trouble. The pins are flimsy and sometimes don't make good contact.

Also, the control wire connectors are NOT waterproof, and surface corrosion often creates problems.

BTW, the 802 itself is not even splashproof, much less waterproof. But, hey, what can you expect from a $2,000 radio, anyway?

The "Tune" LCD should blink while the AT130 is seeking a match, and will go solid "Tune" when it's finished tuning. However, you don't know how good a match has been found, if any, unless you either have an external power/SWR meter or you get an approximate indication from the SWR/power out indicators on the control head.

One advantage of the AT-140 tuner is that it will show "THRU" when a good match has not been found and the tuner is essentially passing RF directly to the antenna. However, with an external cross-needle SWR meter (like the Daiwa CN-101L...my favorite for boats), you get a good visual indication of transmitter performance and of antenna tuner and antenna system performance.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:44   #4

Thanks for your replies. I did order AT-140 tuner it will be here Monday(?). I also checked all the connection, ohmed out the cables, and the PL-259 connectors, made and remade the GTO-15 connect @ the tuner. When I tune the tuner chatters the tune light on the radio display blinks then the radio display lights up to THRU I am still working with the AT-130 which is not supposed to use the thru light or maybe with the 130 the thru light lit does not mean anything, anyway looking at the led's @ the tuner the led that should be lit when tuned is not lit. I did not take apart the long wire connection I watch the guy put it on wire to stay with small hose clamp and tape it tight. I'm also a new Ham KJ4RTF. This my first radio and first time I ever turned one on(never made an HF contact).
To add on what would be a good net to tune in on to check if the reciever is working ok? I did tune into Herb and heard him very clear but he has a really high power outfit. I could hear some of the replys. Right now I'm in Deltaville, Va. (velcoville) and was hearing some replies if they were much further then 100 mile sse of Morehead city (which some people call Beauford) I could not hear them but for garbled and noise. I then tuned to 7.268 LSB and heard some guys from west va talking about ham stuff that was very clear. Any ideas on maybe a ham net frequency I can tune up and listen and have a hope of hearing traffic? Thanks again for your help maybe some day we will talk on the HF? PeaceOut
Old 23-11-2012, 10:03   #5

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
You probably have this covered, but make sure AT-130 is selected in the M802 setup menu.

My boat came with an AT-140 that the PO had installed a year before to replace an AT-130. The tuner did not work until the m802 setup menu entry was changed from AT-130 to AT-140. Dont ask me how much time I wasted troubleshooting before I figured that one out!
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:46   #6

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
As for a QSO, I would be happy to try. I get to the East coast well daytime on 20m, and at night on 40m as long as the local plasma tvs aren't crapping up the band to much.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 11:21   #7
Eternal Member

Yes, SoonerSailor is correct: you need to select the proper tuner in the Setup menu on the M802. See page 49 in the 802 manual.

Icom spends 39 pages in the Instruction Manual talking about DSC operation -- which very few people use -- and doesn't get to the important stuff until the end of the (almost otherwise unreadable) manual.

Congratulations on being a new ham!

Now, go out and spend another $99 and get yourself a Daiwa CN-101L power/swr meter. It will pay for itself a hundred times over, both with this installation and all others you may have as a ham.

With this device, you won't have to ask yourself whether or not the tuner is actually tuning. You'll know for sure.

Good luck and hope to hear you on the bands.

By the way, the nets to listen to every day are:

7268 LSB - the Waterway Net from 0745 tp 0830 EST daily

8152 USB - the Cruizheimers Net from 0830 to about 0900 EST daily

14300 USB - the Intercontinental Net, followed by the Maritime Mobile Service Net at 1100 EST....almost all day

Listen also for the USCG offshore and high seas forecasts:
USCG HF Voice

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 12:48   #8

Thanks again! I do have the 130 selected at first we did not but I found it in the manual and change to it. I think it's still selected. Happy holidays 73
Old 24-11-2012, 13:51   #9

The M802 will work fine with either the at-130 or at-140. Either of them will cause the radio to display THRU if tune is unsuccessful regardless of the tuner setting in the radio. That only serves one function. With the at-140 you can put the tuner into the THRU mode via a key sequence on the 802 remote head. You can't do that with the at-130. Changing the tuner in setup to at-130 just makes it beep at you if you try the key sequence to put the tuner in bypass (THRU).

If you hear the relays chattering and the TUNE icon is flashing, then the tuner is receiving adequate RF power (10 watts in tune mode). These tuners will typically tune regardless of any antenna/ground system problems. In most cases, it's either a faulty RF connector installation (PL-259) or a hardware fault in the tuner. Hope you not using the Shakespeare CenterPin RF connectors.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 14:01   #10

I suspected that was true but was not sure. Thanks.
Old 25-11-2012, 13:40   #11

My friend came over today with dummy load and meter. The radio transmitted full power. yea! Then,we verifed the wiring it all still checks out. The installer did use shakespeare connectors but they all worked well into the dummy load. I don't know whats wrong with them but if it's not needed right now, well that will be put off till later. Seems the tuner is not working. ThankYou all 73
Old 26-11-2012, 05:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
The installer did use shakespeare connectors but they all worked well into the dummy load. I don't know whats wrong with them
If your talking the "easy to install" CenterPin type, failure of the cable shield connection via the 6 contact fingers. Iv'e seen it over and over and over....and Iv'e seen Icom tuners fail to tune for this very reason.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom