Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:11   #1

Boat: sv ZILVER-Kalik 44
Icom M710 Pactor IIUSB: cable configuration

Last spring I bought a Pactor IIUSB(with an upgrade III). I have a USA ICOM M710RT radio and want to connect the remote control cable between my modem and radio, but I can't find the pin configuration. I already know that it is a v24 (rs232, D9) connector for the radio. The only thing I could find on the internet (on American sites) are all complete cables, but I'm now in France (gulf of Biscay) on our boat. Please can somebody help me out with the schedule for the connectors, so I can put it together myself. Maybe somebody knows how to do it??
Thanks for responding.
Paul Willems

Specs www: (Icom M700/M710 PTC Remote Control Cable remote control an Icom M700/M710 transceiver from PTC-IIusb/pro modem.SCS 13-pin DIN to DB9-M (Some partnumber 8086))
Paul Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Cant help you with the configuration, but do recall reading somewhere that the USB plug in does suffer from noise, whereas the pcmcia version is much quieter.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09   #3

Boat: Catalina C-42
From the Airmail Help File - PTCIIpro to Icom M710/700:

This page covers connecting the SCS PTC-IIpro to an Icom M710 (or M700pro) marine transceiver. The audio connections are the same as the PTC-II/IIe, the radio-control connection is specific to the IIpro.
Audio connections:
PTC-IIpro Audio Icom M710 ACC(1)
(8-pin SCS DIN) (8-pin Icom DIN)
---------------- -----------------
(Tx audio) Pin 1----(vio)-----Pin 4 (Mod)
(Rx audio) Pin 4----(grn)-----Pin 5 (AF out)
(PTT) Pin 3----(yel)-----Pin 3 (PTT in)
(Gnd) Pin 2----(wht)-----Pin 2 (ground)
(+12V) Pin 5----(blu)-----Pin 7 (12V out- see note)
Shell---(shield)---Shell
Notes:
1. The colors shown above are for the pigtail cable supplied with the PTC-IIpro. Check the colors with an ohmmeter, errors are possible.
2. The German-style DIN connector has a different physical pin geometry, and is not interchaneable with the US-style DIN connector used by Icom. Label the cable ends to avoid any confusion over which end goes where.
3. The PTC-IIpro has provision for an alternate 12V input on its HF audio connector. This provides a convenient way to connect power to the modem, but if the cable is particularly long then this could be a source of RF interference. Consider a separate power connection for long cables.
Remote Control
Remote frequency-control is optional, but highly recommended when a PTC-IIpro modem is used with an Icom M710/M700pro transceiver. There are two options for connecting remote control to the radio, the recommended connection is to use the M710's 9-pin "Remote" connector (supported from Airmail ver 3.0.857 onwards). As an alternative, the 1/8" mini-phone "Clone" jack can be used, see "option 2" below.
PTC-IIpro "Control" ICOM 710 "Remote"
(13-pin DIN) (DB-9P 9-pin male)
----------- --------------
Pin 3 (yellow) -------- NMI+ 5
Pin 8 (red) ----------- NMO+ 7
Pin 13 (orange) ---+--- NMI- 6 (see note)
+--- GND 9
Shell ----(shield)----- Shell
Note: Add a jumper between pin 6 and 9 on the 9-pin connector, so that the (orange) ground wire connects to both pins. Also make sure that unused wires are carefully insulated, short-circuits can damage the radio or modem.
Radio Settings:
In order to use the NMEA interface, it must first be selected using the front-panel "Set Mode" functions (turn power on while holding down the "Func" and "1" buttons-- or "Ent" and "1" for the 700 pro). Select the "REMT-IF" (remote interface) setting and change it "d-Sub" (or "RS-232" on some models). Also check that the "REMT-ID" setting matches Airmail's "AIcom Addr" setting).
AirMail Options Settings:
Modem (TNC) connection:
Modem type: PTC-IIpro
Comm port: COM1 or as appropriate
Baud rate: 38400 or 57600
Show link messages: no check
Ignore CTS: no check
Audio Tones:
Center Frequency: 1500
Check "USB"
Check "Marine (FSK dial=center)"
Amplitudes: as appropriate, start with 130/170
Radio connection:
Check "Direct using PTC-II control port"
RS-232: Checked (this is important!)
Radio type: "Icom-M710" (select appropriate model)
Baud: 4800
Icom Addr (hex): 01 for M710, 02 for M700pro, or 03 for M710RT (must match radio's REMT-ID setting)
Dial offset: 00
Note: Entering the radio modes with the "Modes" button is no longer required.
AirMail Help ©1997-2006 Jim Corenman
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Cant help you with the configuration, but do recall reading somewhere that the USB plug in does suffer from noise, whereas the pcmcia version is much quieter.
Maybe, but I have some friends who's modem worked perfectly. I hope that will be the same for me! Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01   #5

PTCIIpro to Icom M710/700 cable configuration

Thank you very much Rodney for your information. I'm sure it will be of a lot of help to me.
I already have the audio cable configuration However I still need the control cable PTC-IIpro "Control" ICOM 710 "Remote" . Do I interpretate you information well by assuming that I have to weld the cable to the plug as following
+--- GND 9

Wha tis better, do I use the REMOTE SOCKET or CLONE JACK,because the are both V24?

I also have a question about the cable lenght: the cable length I use is 1 meter. Do I need a seperate power switch? (I don't think so, but you put some doubt in my mind).

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
From the Airmail Help File - PTCIIpro to Icom M710/700:
This page covers connecting the SCS PTC-IIpro to an Icom M710 (or M700pro) marine transceiver. The audio connections are the same as the PTC-II/IIe, the radio-control connection is specific to the IIpro.
Audio connections:
PTC-IIpro Audio Icom M710 ACC(1)
(8-pin SCS DIN) (8-pin Icom DIN)
---------------- -----------------
(Tx audio) Pin 1----(vio)-----Pin 4 (Mod)
(Rx audio) Pin 4----(grn)-----Pin 5 (AF out)
(PTT) Pin 3----(yel)-----Pin 3 (PTT in)
(Gnd) Pin 2----(wht)-----Pin 2 (ground)
(+12V) Pin 5----(blu)-----Pin 7 (12V out- see note)
Shell---(shield)---Shell
Notes:
1. The colors shown above are for the pigtail cable supplied with the PTC-IIpro. Check the colors with an ohmmeter, errors are possible.
2. The German-style DIN connector has a different physical pin geometry, and is not interchaneable with the US-style DIN connector used by Icom. Label the cable ends to avoid any confusion over which end goes where.
3. The PTC-IIpro has provision for an alternate 12V input on its HF audio connector. This provides a convenient way to connect power to the modem, but if the cable is particularly long then this could be a source of RF interference. Consider a separate power connection for long cables.
Remote Control
Remote frequency-control is optional, but highly recommended when a PTC-IIpro modem is used with an Icom M710/M700pro transceiver. There are two options for connecting remote control to the radio, the recommended connection is to use the M710's 9-pin "Remote" connector (supported from Airmail ver 3.0.857 onwards). As an alternative, the 1/8" mini-phone "Clone" jack can be used, see "option 2" below.
PTC-IIpro "Control" ICOM 710 "Remote"
+--- GND 9
Note: Add a jumper between pin 6 and 9 on the 9-pin connector, so that the (orange) ground wire connects to both pins. Also make sure that unused wires are carefully insulated, short-circuits can damage the radio or modem.
Radio Settings:
In order to use the NMEA interface, it must first be selected using the front-panel "Set Mode" functions (turn power on while holding down the "Func" and "1" buttons-- or "Ent" and "1" for the 700 pro). Select the "REMT-IF" (remote interface) setting and change it "d-Sub" (or "RS-232" on some models). Also check that the "REMT-ID" setting matches Airmail's "AIcom Addr" setting).
AirMail Options Settings:
Modem (TNC) connection:
Modem type: PTC-IIpro
Comm port: COM1 or as appropriate
Baud rate: 38400 or 57600
Show link messages: no check
Ignore CTS: no check
Audio Tones:
Center Frequency: 1500
Check "USB"
Check "Marine (FSK dial=center)"
Amplitudes: as appropriate, start with 130/170
Radio connection:
Check "Direct using PTC-II control port"
RS-232: Checked (this is important!)
Radio type: "Icom-M710" (select appropriate model)
Baud: 4800
Icom Addr (hex): 01 for M710, 02 for M700pro, or 03 for M710RT (must match radio's REMT-ID setting)
Dial offset: 00
Note: Entering the radio modes with the "Modes" button is no longer required.
AirMail Help ©1997-2006 Jim Corenman
Old 09-10-2008, 15:56   #6

Boat: Catalina C-42
Remote Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Willems View Post
Thank you very much Rodney for your information. I'm sure it will be of a lot of help to me.
I already have the audio cable configuration However I still need the control cable PTC-IIpro "Control" ICOM 710 "Remote" . Do I interpretate you information well by assuming that I have to weld the cable to the plug as following
+--- GND 9

Wha tis better, do I use the REMOTE SOCKET or CLONE JACK,because the are both V24?

I also have a question about the cable lenght: the cable length I use is 1 meter. Do I need a seperate power switch? (I don't think so, but you put some doubt in my mind).

Paul
Paul,

Yes, you have interpreted the information correctly. It is recommended that you use the REMOTE SOCKET.

You shouldn't need a separate power switch as the modem is supplied power through the audio cable. If you leave the power switch on the modem in ON position, the modem will power on when you turn on the M710.

Thanks,
Rod
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 06:56   #7

Re: PTCIIpro to Icom M710/700 cable configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Willems View Post
+--- GND 9

Paul

Hello,

I just got a pactor II-ex with din 8 pin cable.

My SSB is a M710-GMDSS and has the ACC2 connection so the 8 pin doesn´t fit.

Can I make the 8 pin into the DB9?

Would it be:

(8-pin DIN) (DB-9P 9-pin male)
Pin 1-------- NMI+ 5
Pin 4 ----------- NMO+ 7
Pin 2---+--- NMI- 6 (see note)
+--- GND 9

Many thanks for the reply

Cheers

Jesse svoffspring