Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 10:46   #1

Boat: Tayana 52, AC
Icom M710 Channel Programming

I have a new to me m710 that was not programmed prior to my purchase. None of the ITU, simplex or duplex groups or channels are programmed. I am looking for anyone in the San Fran Bay Area that has the software and hardware (older computer with a serial port and running dos) to program my transceiver. Any help is much appreciated.
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 10:06   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Icom M710 Channel Programming

gscriba,
1) Well, you have Farallon Electronics, right there in the Bay area (San Rafael)...
They are Icom Marine dealers, sell / install all sorts of marine electronics....and I'm sure they have the M-710 programming software (cloning software), although doubtful they've used it in a long time...
Farallon Electronics 415-331-1924
415 331 1924

2) Although the M-710 manual does say that "some versions" don't have all the ITU channels programmed/available, I've never seen one that you couldn't just enter an ITU channel number and then "RX" (I think), and it goes to that channel...
Are you sure that your M-710 won't do that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscriba View Post
I have a new to me m710 that was not programmed prior to my purchase. None of the ITU, simplex or duplex groups or channels are programmed. I am looking for anyone in the San Fran Bay Area that has the software and hardware (older computer with a serial port and running dos) to program my transceiver. Any help is much appreciated.
On the west coast, and in this case in the Bay area, you can easily press 4 2 4, then press RX....or press 8 1 6, and then press RX....and you will be on ITU channel 424 or 816...
And, at 0430z and 1030z you should hear NMC (the USCG HF communications station, in Pt. Reyes)....on both 424 and 816...
And again at 1630z and 2230z, on ITU channel 816...
USCG HF Voice

And, you can check at the top of each hour, WLO's and KLB's channels...
Depending on time of day/night, try 824, 1212, and 1641 from WLO in Mobile, AL (and maybe 607 or 405, late at night)
And, 805 and 1209, from KLB....
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

You may also hear NMN, or NMG (USCG from Virginia and New Orleans)....depending on time of day and propagation...(and your noise level!)
USCG HF Voice

And, FYI...
Here are the details about contacting the USCG....as they do NOT monitor the channels that they use to transmit the weather on!!
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=cgcommsCall

3) If your M-710 is working correctly you can of course program the 160 user channels yourself, by hand, from the front panel....
It's a pain....but it can be done...
If you don't have the manual, it is available on-line from Icom...
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support...SWT=No&INQWORD=

And, the Cruising Club or America has an old document that will help as well....just remember not to use all the freqs that they recommend in the doc, as it's a bit out-dated....(nobody monitors 2182 anymore!)
https://www.cruisingclub.org/pdfs/co...710_m710rt.pdf
(Use this doc as a secondary piece of info to the manual...)

And, use this as your guide to contacting the USCG....
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=cgcommsCall

4) If you wish some easy-to-understand instructions in HF marine radio, have a look here at these free videos....

Marine HF Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

And, while these videos detail the Icom M-802, there are similarities with the M-710, and should be helpful, too...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

I hope this helps...

Fair wind...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 20:52   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive got the software if you want a copy. Just PM me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:15   #4

For the benefit of others here is the PM response I sent:

Below is a link to everything I have for the 710 and 710RT (remote head...which is what I have).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lpbhl9xtn...lcgpz_Hfa?dl=0

There is also a Yahoo Group specific to this radio which has files and a discussion forum. Good place to post questions.

The EX software is pretty clunky, but you can update the channel list and modify settings of radio.

There is also a very good MS DOS emulator called DOSBOX which may work for you. It emulates a physical UART (serial port chip) so you can use it with some USB-SERIAL adaptors successfully. This saves a lot of hassle finding a machine with a physical serial port.
Old 29-04-2017, 18:21   #5

Just to expand on the mention of DOSBOX emulator.

The old EX software was written for a native MSDOS machine with a physical serial port. These are scarce these days. EX uses the UART (serial comm chip set) to directly control the serial port. The standard Windows DOS emulator does not emulate a UART and thus adaptors like USB-serial cables wont work for EX.

DOSBOX, originally written for playing old MSDOS based games, does a very full emulation of MSDOS...including UART...so it will work for EX software.
Old 29-04-2017, 21:14   #6

Boat: Tayana 52, AC

Thank you to all for your response.
Dosbox does indeed work in this application. There are different configurations/files that DO in fact change the channel frequencies as well as the names assigned. The Yahoo! M710 group does have loads of information regarding the programming process, and I learned from a post a day ago that my error was as simple as not including a [space] in the correct place in dosbox. Very fun challenge! I recommend the Yahoo! group for anyone with an Icom M710 transeiver.
Cheers to all!
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:19   #7

Good. Glad it worked for you.

DOSBOX sure makes this a lot more convenient to do.
Old 26-08-2017, 15:23   #8

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...Below is a link to everything I have for the 710 and 710RT ... ... ...
I'll try to check out some of the information given (once I figure out what it all means). I think I have the same problem with my (new to me) M700pro - is this pretty much the same radio? The numeric keypad on the early models is inoperative (or so I've read and it seems to apply to this one) so I have to find a way to get it working so I can reprogram it with all the (more recent) weatherfax frequencies (and a few others that are missing from the 150 pre-programmed list). Any advice appreciated ; two weeks waiting for response from ICOM NZ/Icom international and still nuthin'.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 07:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
I'll try to check out some of the information given (once I figure out what it all means). I think I have the same problem with my (new to me) M700pro - is this pretty much the same radio? The numeric keypad on the early models is inoperative (or so I've read and it seems to apply to this one) so I have to find a way to get it working so I can reprogram it with all the (more recent) weatherfax frequencies (and a few others that are missing from the 150 pre-programmed list). Any advice appreciated ; two weeks waiting for response from ICOM NZ/Icom international and still nuthin'.
I dont know whether any of this is applicable/will work w the M700Pro, but there are some very knowledgebale folks here who may can answer.

I do happen to have user manual for the 700 Pro in PDF format if you want that.

Functionally it appears to be essentially the same radio, but obviously there are differences.

I do know the old software tended to be very radio specific. So, I suspect there is a version of the software out there somewhere specific to the 700 Pro.
Old 27-08-2017, 12:33   #10

Thanks Belize, I searched and found the 710 group on Yahoo, and hundreds of other Icom groups - just not the 700. Also tried downloading the 710 software program from some site but couldn't even manage that, so I'm going to need an Icom dealer, if only they could bother to reply.
Old 27-08-2017, 15:21   #11

Quote:
Thanks Belize, I searched and found the 710 group on Yahoo, and hundreds of other Icom groups - just not the 700. Also tried downloading the 710 software program from some site but couldn't even manage that, so I'm going to need an Icom dealer, if only they could bother to reply.
Havent had much luck with them regarding tweaking these older radios...thus all the groups, bootleg software, etc.

Maybe post on one or more of the Yahoo groups. The 710 group is the most similar so I would try there first...someome may know. And/Or, just hook up the software and see if it will talk to the 700.
Old 27-08-2017, 15:56   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

NevisDog,
No, the M-700Pro is not the same radio as the M-710...
Although all Icom marine radios share many of the same programming procedures, the M-700Pro is easier and a better rig all-in-all...

You mention that you think you have the same problem, but the original poster's problem was just not knowing how to program the radio...
So, if that is the case for you and your M-700Pro, that's an easy to solve problem!!
Quote:
Here is a link to the Icom M-700Pro manual
http://www.icomcanada.com/pdf_manual...ic-m700pro.pdf

And, here is a link to the CCA's page on programming/use of the M-70Pro....(just please understand that nobody is monitoring 2182 anymore, so please use your own NZ Maritime Authority / Tapuo Radio info)
https://www.cruisingclub.org/pdfs/co...om_m700pro.pdf

If the numeric keypad is not functional at all, I suspect you have an internal radio fault/failure....a CPU reset might fix it, but that's a crap shoot...

Please read the above linked pages, and see exactly what is not working on your radio...
And, then let us know....
We should be able to point you to a solution, but we will need to know what is not working...

Further, please remember that your M-700Pro is rather old, and it might be near the end of its useful life!!
And, BTW, except for Taupo Radio, the USCG, and AMSA....nobody is monitoring the SSB Voice freqs anymore....and haven't in > 17 years!! (Since the final implementation of the 1992 GMDSS in Jan 1999...)
If you wish more info on this, let me know...

Hope this helps..

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 13:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
... the original poster's problem was just not knowing how to program the radio... ... ... If you wish more info on this, let me know..
Thanks John,

First, I tagged on to this thread as last time I had a question (on my ancient Arona diesel) it didn't appear in the daily list of new topics so got kinda lost. (Luckily one guy spotted it and was helpful.)

Second, I believe my problem is best explained by the Dockhead Radio website. I read all the CCA references and have the Icom manual but they make no mention. Fact is (according to Dockhead Radio) there were three versions produced of the M700Pro:
*Version 3 can be programmed (or frequency selected) straight from keypad;
*Version 2 you have to switch on while holding down both the Mode and the Squelch buttons in order to activate the numeric keypad;
*Version 1 only an Icom dealer (such as Dockhead Radio) can activate the numeric keypad (or better still, reprogram the radio to match the Version 2 or 3 models).

My numeric keypad is completely, annoyingly, inactive; Version 2 activation doesn't work, so either we have a peculiar fault or else we have Version 1. Radio seems otherwise in good condition so I'm hopeful it's a simple fix but Icom is taking forever to reply and I'm told no one else here in NZ is likely to have the sort of software and skills of Dockhead Radio. I could parcel up the whole thing and send it to Icom but I want to make contact first to ensure they have the technology and can do this. Darn they are slow!
Old 28-08-2017, 13:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
... The 710 group is the most similar so I would try there first...someome may know. And/Or, just hook up the software and see if it will talk to the 700.
Worth a try, thanks.

Tags
icom