Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2023, 14:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Icom command mic failed - now have to replace everything?

This is so ridiculous, one problem leads to the next. Apologies, griping ahead.

The command mic I use at the helmstation (an Icom HM157 if that matters), has failed. It's from 2006, but still looks brand new. But the display fades in and out and now I can't hear anything, can only transmit. The VHF unit itself is inside the boat (an Icom m402), is also from 2006, but still looks brand new and works perfectly.

Here's my problem. Normally this would be no big deal, I would just go online and order a new command mic. But no one has that model anymore. At all. Zero. None. The only distributor that had one has not shipped it or responded to my queries and I feel I'm going to have to dispute that charge. I found a used one on Ebay, but the nice white hand mic was beaten up looking and yellow. I don't want that on my boat.

So I could buy the newest version of their command mic right? Well aside from the fact that I dislike the new models with a hundred buttons (as opposed to my simpler design) I don't want to waste my money if it's not compatible with my radio, and according to their web site, it isn't (but I can't be sure about that, because according to their site, even my current command mic isn't compatible with my radio!)

So I guess to be certain I could buy a new radio AND command mic? Well, aside from disliking buying a new radio when I have a perfectly good one, I have no idea if a new radio would be compatible with my existing antenna cable plug.

So I guess to be extra certain I could buy a new radio AND command mic AND antenna?

But then I would have to get it up the mast, and not sure how to run the cable. Plus, I went up last year and it was a major hassle and not something I ever want to do again soon if I can avoid it.

On top of that, Icom is pretty expensive to replace. I can get another brand for a reasonable price, but again, I don't know if it would be compatible with my antenna.

So my questions are - are Icoms worth the extra cost? Are antenna cables universal or all proprietary between brands? Would it be possible to cut and splice an antenna cable if the plug wasn't compatible?

Or should I be doing this at all? There is now a bewildering number of other options - like radios with AIS (but does that talk to a chartplotter?), or bluetooth connection to use your cell phone as a helmstation mic, etc
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 14:42   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Icom command mic failed - now have to replace everything?

While I agree it is dumb the good news is your existing antenna and cable are fine. I don't know of any marine fixed VHF that doesn't use a PL-259 connector for the antenna so whatever you get will use your existing connector just fine.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 16:13   #3

(Yes it's easy to connect any proper antenna cable to any VHF radio)

Some basic troubleshooting required. If there's an extension cable between the mic and the radio, try the mic connected right to the radio. Check all connectors in the path. Look for cable damage. That's the usual culprit.

If that doesn't work - take the VHF radio and the command mic to a repair shop - ideally an established shop with experience on ICOM.

You could even buy the beat-up ebay mic and, if it works, put its guts into your nice mic case.
Old 07-06-2023, 17:01   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My experience with command mikes is that the connector between mike cable and the extension cable from the radio is flaky. Your symptoms reflect such a problem, so be sure that all the pins and their sockets are clean and tight. I strongly suspect that your issues lie there.

Jim
Old 07-06-2023, 17:31   #5

Have had the same problem, trying to replace a 15 year old wired remote mic that is several generations behind the current version. We searched the used and consignment vendors and were lucky enough to come up with a "new in box, old stock" mic that matched what we needed.

It is definitely worth a look. There might still be one hanging out there.

As several have already pointed out, antennas and cables are 100% standard. You do NOT have to replace them.

There are a lot of "modern" options with bluetooth, or wireless connectivity. I am old fashioned enough that the idea of relying on wireless connections with batteries in the handset for something as mission critical as my VHF radio gives me the willies. I know... the radio itself is wireless (duh!). I didn't say my concern was logical...
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 17:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You could even buy the beat-up ebay mic and, if it works, put its guts into your nice mic case.
Ha! Good option. I didn't think of that.
Old 07-06-2023, 17:41   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Have had the same problem, trying to replace a 15 year old wired remote mic that is several generations behind the current version. We searched the used and consignment vendors and were lucky enough to come up with a "new in box, old stock" mic that matched what we needed.

As several have already pointed out, antennas and cables are 100% standard. You do NOT have to replace them.

There are a lot of "modern" options with bluetooth, or wireless connectivity. I am old fashioned enough that the idea of relying on wireless connections with batteries in the handset for something as mission critical as my VHF radio gives me the willies. I know... the radio itself is wireless (duh!). I didn't say my concern was logical...
Same here. I love tech but for a radio potentially a radio in an emergency I want it as boring and simple as possible. I feel icom is losing their way.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 17:44   #8

Quote:
Your concern is logical. I can't imagine using my cell phone or headset mic in a rainstorm, or trying to find where I placed it in the dark. I want my waterproof mic attached by a wire to the helmstation so I can always grab it when needed.
Old 07-06-2023, 19:32   #9

Boat: Tartan T4400

I keep a handheld VHF at the helm. It range is enough to talk to boats cllose to you.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:12   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The command mic I use at the helmstation (an Icom HM157 if that matters), has failed. It's from 2006, but still looks brand new. But the display fades in and out and now I can't hear anything, can only transmit. The VHF unit itself is inside the boat (an Icom m402), is also from 2006, but still looks brand new and works perfectly.

Here's my problem. Normally this would be no big deal, I would just go online and order a new command mic. But no one has that model anymore. At all. Zero. None.

So I could buy the newest version of their command mic right? Well aside from the fact that I dislike the new models with a hundred buttons (as opposed to my simpler design) I don't want to waste my money if it's not compatible with my radio, and according to their web site, it isn't (but I can't be sure about that, because according to their site, even my current command mic isn't compatible with my radio!)

You could call Icom and ask whether the newer HM-195 is compatible with your radio.

If it is, you could maybe even get over your dislike of new. Our HM-195s have 11 buttons.

-Chris
Old 08-06-2023, 06:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a HM-162B, new, if that helps.

One reason I am considering Standard Horizion instead.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:54   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

Perhaps a contrarian opinion. I have a 12-year-old Standard Horizon radio. I went to a lot of wiring work to run the wired remote mic to the cockpit. It only had about 6 buttons. Simple. But if you wanted to use the DSC, or the loudhailer, or the foghorn, you had to wander through a veritable forest of menus and button pushes. Truly worthless. I ended up buying the handset which had about 20 buttons. Each one for a single function. Much easier.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:09   #13

My boat didn't come with a remote Mic and the radio is in the saloon. I thought about the remote mic and ran into a similar challenge - none available, can't buy extension cable, etc.

So I use a handheld one when in the cockpit, but with a better antenna. If i really need to use the more powerful one I go below. Yes it's a hassle, but I found this to be a suitable alternative to replacing the radio with a new one just to get a remote mic capabilities.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:21   #14

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
This is so ridiculous, one problem leads to the next. Apologies, griping ahead.

Here's my problem. Normally this would be no big deal, I would just go online and order a new command mic. But no one has that model anymore. At all. Zero. None. The only distributor that had one has not shipped it or responded to my queries and I feel I'm going to have to dispute that charge. I found a used one on Ebay, but the nice white hand mic was beaten up looking and yellow. I don't want that on my boat.

So I guess to be certain I could buy a new radio AND command mic? Well, aside from disliking buying a new radio when I have a perfectly good one, I have no idea if a new radio would be compatible with my existing antenna cable plug.

So I guess to be extra certain I could buy a new radio AND command mic AND antenna?

But then I would have to get it up the mast, and not sure how to run the cable. Plus, I went up last year and it was a major hassle and not something I ever want to do again soon if I can avoid it.

On top of that, Icom is pretty expensive to replace. I can get another brand for a reasonable price, but again, I don't know if it would be compatible with my antenna.

So my questions are - are Icoms worth the extra cost? Are antenna cables universal or all proprietary between brands? Would it be possible to cut and splice an antenna cable if the plug wasn't compatible?

Or should I be doing this at all? There is now a bewildering number of other options - like radios with AIS (but does that talk to a chartplotter?), or bluetooth connection to use your cell phone as a helmstation mic, etc
I found one at binnacle last year.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:26   #15

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:

I have a brand new Standard Horizon with wireless connectivity

It is TERRIBLE!!!

It looses connection regularly within 5' line of sight between the handmic and the antenna.

Called standard horizon tech support and basically they told me the published number of 30' range is GROSSLY OVERINFLATED

In addition, because they use a sort of low powered version of a standard wifi connection, they disavow any problems if you have any sort of wifi on board.

Who doesn't these days?

I have a friend with a Lagoon 450 who also has a wireless handmic. Unsure of the brand but he has similar issues.

Recommend you stay with wired.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom