Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 11:05   #1

ICOM AT-140 no longer tunes properly

AT-140 DOES NOT TUNE LOWER OR UPPER FREQ?
My AT-140 turner installed with an ICOM 802 in 2006 no longer tunes to the lower frequencies or upper frequencies. It is installed with a backstay antenna on a Caliber 47 in 2006. It did work properly for many for several years. Then it started tuning slowly when cold. Sometimes I would have to go above or below the desired frequency to exercise it and then it would tune properly. In the last year, it has degraded so the it only tunes well in the 6-8 mhz range and then in the 12-16 mhz range. It will not tune down in the 4 mhz range or on the higher frequencies.
I did clean the connectors on both the transmitter coax as well as the connectors on the control cables. By the way they were clean and it made no difference. The unit does reduce the pwr output of the 802 during the tuning process as required which shows up on the SWR meter which tells me that the control cable is feeding voltage to the AT-140 and the “key “ signal is getting back to the 802. Also the fact that it does tune properly for some frequencies indicates the STAR voltage is ok.
I did inspect the internals of the unit hoping to find something obvious but the inside is pristine. The mode switch S1 is in the normal positon as required.
The three 8 switch DIP switches (SWR, SW4 SW3) were found with all the induvial switches in the on position with the exception of the sw 5 on DIP SW 5 was in a middle positon between off and on. This appeared to be incorrect since these DIP switches do not appear to have a middle positon.
Can someone tell me what the required position of the DIP switches is?
It appears the unit is full of relays and coils and I assume the internal electronics measures the SWR ratio and then operates relays to put the right coils in the circuit to tune the antenna.
Any wisdom would be appreciated as well as a good shop in the USA that will not charge so much that buying a new unit would be cheaper than troubleshooting and repairing this one.
BrightAyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 11:42   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: ICOM AT-140 no longer tunes properly

Easier said than done I know given the limited accessibility to the relays but a common problem causing what you describe is bad/corroded/dirty contacts in one or more relays.

Cleaning all contacts with a judicious amount of Deoxit might solve the problem but I'd first check by energizing each separately to ensure they move.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 17:08   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Easier said than done I know given the limited accessibility to the relays but a common problem causing what you describe is bad/corroded/dirty contacts in one or more relays.

Cleaning all contacts with a judicious amount of Deoxit might solve the problem but I'd first check by energizing each separately to ensure they move.
I assume you have checked and cleaned the connections in the ground and antenna feed wires?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 05:30   #4

Thanks, I looked at the relays and they are all sealed units.
BrightAyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 09:48   #5
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

Hacv you tried contacting ICOM service? They are very good at answering product questions on the phone, IMHO.
mnh

Service My Product - Icom America
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 10:51   #6

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

In a salt air/water environment, throw it away and get a new one.
SV Toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 11:27   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAyes View Post
Thanks, I looked at the relays and they are all sealed units.
Sealed? Not questioning you but there are sealed and sealed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 12:02   #8

Replace with SGC-230, much better tuner. Only power and coax from radio needed, no control cable required.
Jack
W4GRJ
BocaIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, rope