Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2022, 16:23   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy, 31' sloop, ATHESA
Icom AT 120 Tuner stopped working

Hi All
After a while, I am planning to go cruising again.
I have an Icom HF radio with AT 120 tuner. I am a HAM operator and would prefer to have contact with the outside world, especially via E-mail.
On checking my electronic devices I noticed my AT 120 has stopped chattering. I assume there is something has gone awry.
Any ideas how to test and if necessary repair it? Or should I bite the bullet and find another antenna tuner?
Grateful for any advice.
Sindbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 16:32   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Icom AT 120 Tuner stopped working

Have you checked co-ax and control cables?

I assume you have the manual but if not -
http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Ic...-120%20Alt.pdf
Old 21-02-2022, 20:09   #3

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Several things. Yeah, check the control cable but also check to make sure your rig is sending the tune command. Also, is the radio actually going into transmit mode when you press the tune button? You might try changing the mode from SSB to AM or FM and key the mic to see if that triggers the tuner. Nominal power to tune is about 10 watts. Too much and I think the tuner will not operate to protect it's components when there is a very high SWR.

I would start with the radio and work my way back to the tuner. Confirm all the radio functions are working correctly when the tune button is pressed. Disconnect, then reconnect cables and connectors.

Make sure the antenna GTO-15 wire is not corroded preventing the tuner from even trying to tune.

On the tuner side, confirm it is getting 12VDC it needs from the radio. I not sure, try using a spare battery to power the unit. How about internal fuse?

Just some suggestions. Good luck.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 16:45   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy, 31' sloop, ATHESA

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.
It will take a while to go through the recommendation.
I will certainly return with a list of things I have done and the results, hopefully "Mission Accomplished."
Zia
Sindbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 06:48   #5

I have the same tuner which quits periodically. It has always been the control cable for me.

The style connector used is not very secure.

The suggestions made in other posts are very good. It comes down to basics. Is it plugged in, power on, wires in good shape....

Have someone listen to the tuner after you've done the wiring check. If it is getting power and the control signal to start tuning, and the radio is sending a signal on frequency, you should hear the relays clacking as it searches for a low SWR.

There are LED's inside of mine which give you proof of life, which can be comforting as well.

Good luck.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, work