Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 21:55   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Icom 802 mike cord failure

At the worst possible time I have just noticed that my 802 microphone cable has developed the well known sheath failure. I can see some replacements on EBay but they are all US based and postage time may be a problem as I plan to set off in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know of other microphone models that will work with the 802? I may be able to source them here in Australia. (And before anyone suggests it, there’s no point in me calling Icom as they do not support the radio here in Oz)

Matt
Old 11-01-2019, 22:02   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Icom 802 mike cord failure

I’m surprised that you can’t find Icom support in Australia. We bought our Icom 802 when we were there from an Icom dealer. Regardless, we had several packages shipped to us from the US and all of them made it to us in just a few days.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 23:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I’m surprised that you can’t find Icom support in Australia. We bought our Icom 802 when we were there from an Icom dealer. Regardless, we had several packages shipped to us from the US and all of them made it to us in just a few days.

Fair winds and calm seas.

I phoned Icom Australia. They basically told me to go jump.

Lovely people.

Not sure how the sales process of the 802 in Oz works. On the one hand there are/were dealers selling them here but on the other hand Icom tell me they can’t help me with parts or support.

Yes, packages from the US SHOULD arrive on time but if I can source something local it would be more certain, particularly at this time of year.

There surely is another microphone that can be used. There’s not a lot of special functionality in the standard mic that I can see.
Old 12-01-2019, 00:20   #4

The 802 isn't approved for use in Aus thats why Icom Aus won't touch it, but my 801E is approved and uses the same mic as the 802, Icom HM-135 suits ICOM IC-M801 IC-M802 IC-M801GMDSS IC-M801E...

Give Icom another call and lie, tell them you have a 801E and you shouldn't have a problem, assuming they have any left in stock, i got my spare from them about a year ago....

Or the below from Amazon.au and get express postage.....

https://www.amazon.com.au/ICOM-HM-13.../dp/B00309TNS8
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
The 802 isn't approved for use in Aus thats why Icom Aus won't touch it, but my 801E is approved and uses the same mic as the 802, Icom HM-135 suits ICOM IC-M801 IC-M802 IC-M801GMDSS IC-M801E...

Give Icom another call and lie, tell them you have a 801E and you shouldn't have a problem, assuming they have any left in stock, i got my spare from them about a year ago....

Or the below from Amazon.au and get express postage.....

https://www.amazon.com.au/ICOM-HM-13.../dp/B00309TNS8

Great idea, thank you. I’ll give them a try with the 801 mic and if they don’t have one I’ll go the Amazon option as you suggest. I had bookmarked that one or at least one like it.

Edit: actually, that Amazon ad is only offering me standard delivery, which will be too slow. So fingers crossed on Icom having what I need.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:57   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

For what it is worth, I had the same problem and I returned both my M802 and. HM157 mic both with the same problem

Icom replaces both cables no charge
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:16   #7

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

ALL marine radios should be made with DIN connectors. It’s the most natural thing in the world to wear out the cable, given their use.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Are there “Better” microphones for an 802?
I have looked and can’t find any, I thought that odd. Not necessarily a power mic, but surely there are better ones out there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:07   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Knowing you want to depart soon, why not have a new one shipped to a friend with a fixed address at your destination? Tape up the shredded mike cord, the mike should still work, and fix it at your leisure.

Ann
Old 12-01-2019, 13:21   #10

Boat: Admiral 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
At the worst possible time I have just noticed that my 802 microphone cable has developed the well known sheath failure. I can see some replacements on EBay but they are all US based and postage time may be a problem as I plan to set off in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know of other microphone models that will work with the 802? I may be able to source them here in Australia. (And before anyone suggests it, there’s no point in me calling Icom as they do not support the radio here in Oz)

Matt
I called ICOM US, they said send them in (both 802 and the 602 had same problem). Icom replaced both mic cable at no charge and shipped them beck within 10 days. I would call them, may be worth the shipping cost.
TrialRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 14:34   #11

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Seems like they have a common problem with the chords my commander Mic has been replaced three times in the last five years, The last one they did under warranty as well as the speaker
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 14:40   #12

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

If the 802 is the same as the other newer icom amateur radios I have the microphone has RJ45 Jack's on each end. If so a standard network cable will work for you as a backup. I extended my coiled cord with a network cable and a female to female joiner and it worked fine. YMMV.

Sorry, not the same..... just looked the 802 has a round plug.
flyingnut40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 15:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Knowing you want to depart soon, why not have a new one shipped to a friend with a fixed address at your destination? Tape up the shredded mike cord, the mike should still work, and fix it at your leisure.

Ann
I have taped it, but I am only going to be in Tasmania for a short time (days) so even harder to synchronise the postage schedule than normal.
Old 12-01-2019, 15:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
For what it is worth, I had the same problem and I returned both my M802 and. HM157 mic both with the same problem

Icom replaces both cables no charge
Unless you are in Australia... in which case they tell you to get lost because they don't sell it here.

Island Hopper has come up with a very neat solution though.. fingers crossed.

I'd try the exchange idea but if they ask for a serial number I am stuffed, so I will just grit my teeth and pay the price for a new one.
Old 12-01-2019, 16:03   #15

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

In the U.S. Icom had a cord replacement program: just send it in and they would repair (replace the cord) and send it back, free of charge. I did that last year. Perhaps have someone here with an Icom do it for you. Unfortunately even if it is possible it probably won't be fast enough.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom