Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 07:46   #16

Boat: SY 40ft one-off
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Most of these 710's are already set to allow programming of transmit frequencies in the marine band only. If your radio does not allow transmit programming at all, then yes, cutting these diodes (D206 does not exist on U.S. versions) will allow transmit frequency programming, but only on marine bands. The only way to operate on ham bands is to open the frequency range using the software.

Eric
Well ... actually I'm looking down at the service manuals of both the M710 and M710RT and both radios do have the diodes from D201 to D207 and the schematics look very similar.

I'm trying to understand the function of those diodes too

Scud
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 10:26   #17

There are 5 basic software versions embedded in the CPU for this radio. US General version, US Marine version, US GMDSS version, Europe Marine version and Europe GMDSS version. The external diode matrix determines which version is selected at power-up. I have all 5 versions on disk. None of them allow use of transmit on the ham bands although Icom may have released a version with the tx frequency range wide open on later models. On models before this release (if there was one), you can only open the tx freq range with software via computer thru the clone port using ex1726/ex2144 or through remote operation of the radio via computer running 3rd party radio control software.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 11:39   #18

Thank you Erric this finally sheds some light but leaves the ex2144.exe cloning software as our unique resort. I wonder why the cloning sw for the M710 is easily downloadable from the Icom website while the one for the M710 RT is as impossible to find such as a honest politician
Old 14-12-2010, 15:15   #19

What is the link you say you are downloading ex1726 from? I don't think it's available from an official U.S. Icom website.

Eric
Old 15-12-2010, 01:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
What is the link you say you are downloading ex1726 from? I don't think it's available from an official U.S. Icom website.

Eric
maybe you're right Eric but when searching for it I stumbled across so many websites where you could download it from that I cannot remember clearly. It' seemed to me that there was a Icom too but I may be wrong. Anyway here is a working link

http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/icom/ex1726.zip
Old 15-12-2010, 02:07   #21

What do you think of this one? could it be an viable alternative?

http://www.cssincorp.com/download/mrc/MRadioControl.pdf

http://www.cssincorp.com/

Scud
Old 15-12-2010, 02:56   #22

Yes, I am aware of the availability of this software on many different sites as is software for other Icom marine radio's but you won't find it on an Icom site, nor do they give it/sell it to end users. That was my point, it's illegal for them to do so.

The MRadioControl software will allow you to operate on some ham bands but normally, the 710 does not allow LSB or CW operation. These modes can be enabled however with the ex1726/ex2144 software.

I also have another program that a few years ago was available as a free download from the SailMail website. It does a lot more than the MRadioControl program. This program is copyrighted by hams W5SMM and KA6IQA. You might contact them for availability. Here is the GUI for that program.

Old 15-12-2010, 10:05   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread in detail. It is a big help to those of us with the 710RT.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 11:36   #24

Boat: Fantasia 35
Here is a link to the W5SMM and KA6IQA control program -

http://www.winlink.org/webfm_send/103

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 00:57   #25

I also found the ex2144.exe at

ex2144_icom.rar Downloads from Hotfiles, Rapidshare, and more! Gigabit Downloads

the problem is that i even signed up and checked out as I was asked to do and I was redirected to this Media Feed website which downloaded a searching application on my computer. Any try to get locate the ex2144_icom.rar using the mediafeed application led to failure. Since on the gigabitdownloads' is advertised that the membership comes as complimentary if you sign up to MediaFeed then I went back to www.gigabitdownloads.com but there is no login pop-up or login page or alike and no support page either. They only have 'Sign-up' which redirects you to the MediaFeed.

I think the whole ting is a fraud but I may be wrong. If somebody is familiar with this and figures out how to login to www.gigabitdownloads.com pls., let me know

Thanx
Scud
Old 16-12-2010, 02:29   #26

Boat: Reinke, 15m, Present
I was looking for ex2144.exe myself and I found it, many thanks to a friend in Enkhuizen, Holland. In the process of searching I was referred to this thread and I see you guys are aching.

I haven't actually used it myself yet. I got the advice to use it under XP and only with a PC with a hardware serial comport. There is no experience under Vista or Windows 7 or via a Serial-USB adapter.
I'd hate it if you would try that and your 710RT would get damaged.

So, send me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers,
Len.
svpresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:33   #27

Boat: Endeavour 43
If this is what you are looking for, send me your email link and I will send you a zip file. Here is a clip of the readme file

EX-2144 FIELD PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE
For the IC-M710RT
(C) 1998 Icom Inc. Rev 1.01
Portions of the software copyrighted by Microsoft Corporation 1982-1988
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:04   #28

Thank you very much to both Len and Brankin who came up with the solution a few minutes apart.
Wonderful forum and community this one.

Scud
IZ4TKD
Old 25-05-2011, 21:07   #29

Re: Icom 710RT Cloning / Programming Software

After much effort to find the correct components I was finally successful in setting my ICOM 710RT to allow programming of user memory channels (what a lame idea to disable in the first place). Hopefully my experience will save others some time and trouble.

Here is what you need:

EX-2144 Software (available from users on this forum or contact me). Note: this is the ONLY piece of software that will allow you to change this operating parameter on the ICOM 710-RT (no need to waste your time attempting to do this with other software). Note: you may find this software listed on bit-torrent and similar feeds -- these are, as suspected by another forum member, fraudulent.

OPC-552 programming cable (RS-232 to mono pin...note: a USB cable or USB-RS232 emulation will NOT work). I purchased this via eBay.

Computer: This is hardest item to find. Must be a machine with a physical RS-232 port (not many around anymore, but some commercial units still have them for control purposes). As noted, USB to RS232 emulation will not work. This machine must also be running native MS-DOS -- Windows emulated DOS (running "command" or "cmd") will not work. I used ISO disk burner software to create an MS-DOS 5.0 boot disk which also contained a copy of EX-2144.

Once all of these components are acquired the process of changing the configuration is quick and easy -- sure makes this rig much more convenient to use.

Be happy to provide more details to anyone who needs it.
Old 25-05-2011, 21:14   #30

Re: Icom 710RT Cloning / Programming Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpresent View Post
I was looking for ex2144.exe myself and I found it, many thanks to a friend in Enkhuizen, Holland. In the process of searching I was referred to this thread and I see you guys are aching.

I haven't actually used it myself yet. I got the advice to use it under XP and only with a PC with a hardware serial comport. There is no experience under Vista or Windows 7 or via a Serial-USB adapter.
I'd hate it if you would try that and your 710RT would get damaged.

So, send me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers,
Len.
Note: EX-2144 will NOT work under XP or any other version of Windows. The machine must be running native MS-DOS only.

Tags
icom