Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2007, 10:25   #1

Boat: 1985 Gozzard Pilothouse 36
Icom 710 RT

Hi all, A few years back (5) I got what I thought was a good but on a brend new Icom 710 RT and AT 130 tuner. I am fairly handy so I installed it my self and was proud of my work Everything seemed straight forward, and the installation was done in a weekend. Idid the proper stuff like used GTO15 from the tuner(installed below deck just below the backstay) to the insulated back stay. The only question that arose was the Ground/Counterpoise. I took the copper flat ground from the tuner to a keel bolt, thus using the Unencapsulated Lead keel as a very large counterpoise Rather than drilling into a 1" SS keel bolt, I purchased 2 matching SS nuts & washers and sandwitched the copper foil between them The question that arose was that the 710RT has the Main Radio chassis separate from the control head. On the main chassis there is a big ground lug, guseeing, I also ran the 3" copper foil to the same keel bolt. I am not happy with the reception, or transmission, I backed off any work on the boat for the last 3 years due to health & Domestic issues. NOW I am Back at it, and would like to get therig up & running properly

Please hang with me and be gentle, I am a novice at this. Plus I have many more questions, and there seems to be a great wealth of knowlage here
Boko~maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 10:47   #2
Eternal Member

Boko-maru,

Glad you're back!

Lose the connection between the main chassis and the keel bolt. This could create a ground loop (not desirable). The connection between the tuner ground lug and the keel bolt is fine, though you might be able to improve things in several ways (radials, more metal inside boat, etc.).

Don't be discouraged by current transmission/reception....propagation conditions have been horrid lately. There are the occasional band openings, of course, but in general things are pretty bad. Bottom of the sunspot cycle and all that!

They will improve, with time. Meanwhile, suggest you listen to the Waterway Net in the mornings (0745EDT on 7268LSB), the Cruizheimers Net (0830EDT on 8152USB), the MM Service Net (14300USB much of the day), etc. and see how things change throughout the day.

Bill
WA6CCA
S/V Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 11:52   #3

Boat: 1985 Gozzard Pilothouse 36
OK, what do I do with the Main Chassis Ground? Run a good size cable to the boats electrical Ground?
Boko~maru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom