Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 16:37   #1

I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

Hi All,
I am planning to start my cruise in Mediterranean Sea with old Catamaran, and I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed.
Budget: 10,000 $
Includes:
1- “Navigation/chart plotter” SW that can communicate with all devices on the boat “Radar – AISAutopilotCompass – GPS…….etc”
2- PC “Low power consumption- 12/24v DC powered - 8GB RAM - solid state hard drive – Processor I7 - NMEA interface with built in multiplexing functions - marine PC
3- GPS Receiver
4- Compass sensor
5- AIS class A
6- NMEA to WiFi Adaptors
7- Forward Scan sounder
8- Radar “Broadband – Radome”
9- Autopilot with remote control
10- Weather station
11- Nice to have : Garmin's Quatix GPS Watch
12- Nice to have: engine instrumentation on the PC
13- Nice To have: Network Video Camera “Waterproof - Power over Ethernet (PoE) - Low-light mode”
14- Nice to have: marine windows Tablet

Note: I need all above devices to communicate with each other
Momo_iah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:09   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

The B&G option with forward facing sonar is our current number one. We're waiting for some in service feedback, particularly on the sonar, before we commit. B&G also allow integration of load cells and data acquisition which is of interest to us.

Integration with wearables, think wristwatch gps, mob and alarms is also of interest but not mature enough yet.

Unfortunately all the options are deliberately tightly coupled. This poses problems for end users, obsolescence and long term durability.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:27   #3

Re: I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed

So, what is your recommendations to get complete system integration "with PC"?

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Momo_iah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:35   #4
med

I sail in the Med. I do not have any of that. What I use is:-

1) A fixed VHF (in case you get called up by customs/police etc) and for weather reports

2) A GPS of some kind (a hand held would do)

3) Charts of the area. You get packs of 20-30 charts of a particular area for about 70 euros in most chandlers.

4) If you are doing long passages, then a couple of small scale overview charts

5) A compass

6) Auto pilot so you can let the boat get on and steer itself while you do other things

7) Simple depth sounder (you can see the bottom whenever you anchor so no need for anything fancy)

I used to have a radar. I used it about 3 hours in 6 years.
Actually I don't use the GPS much at all. In areas I am familiar with, I don't use the charts much either.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:07   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Why would you want a Class A AIS? You aren't going to get that entire list on $10k.
Old 17-01-2015, 06:19   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we are currently in the med after sailing the usa and western and eastern caribbean. we have raymarine for all except ais which is aci with a nema connection to our chartplotter.
we have been hit by lightening in the bahamas so we have 2 laptops with their own external gps feed and opencpn on them as backup.
i am not a techie but understand if you know what you are doing you can get opencpn to do everything you want - but others on here know more about.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:18   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo_iah View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to start my cruise in Mediterranean Sea with old Catamaran, and I need your recommendations for new/complete set of electronics to be installed.
Sounds like you're looking for specific brands and models. I think you'd be better served by doing the research yourself and choosing equipment based on your particular needs.

One bit of advice. Try to settle on one brand that satisfies as many of your needs as possible. While technically virtually all equipment these days is NMEA 2000 compliant and can share data, the reality is that you'll have a simpler install and less potential problems the few the brands you interconnect.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:02   #8

Boat: C&C 25

Are you starting out ? have you sailed before ?

IMHO nothing replaces Common sense, skill and knowledge. Tools just make the process easier. having tools and not knowing why we have them is quite useless..

If new to sailing, nothing beats on sea courses. Will save you tons of cash if not your safety.
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:36   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Momo,
I too have an older cat and replacing most electronics.
My base is the Vesper XB-8000 AIS (class B) which has GPS built in along with WIFI to up to 5 units with NEMA 2000 (also accepts 0183)
My "chartplotter display" is an iPad3 with GPS built in, (probably running iNavX) and an older (with clean wipe) netbook running OpenCPN (with WIFI receiving the AIS signal). The netbook is the boat computer only. Also just purchased a new SH GX2000 VHF to connect to the Vesper . My phone has Navionics on it (has been my "chartplotter" this past year) and will also show the AIS from the XB-8000 and will be my night anchor alarm.

I already have a Raymarine autopilot with Octopus hydraulic unit and I recently purchased a complete spare (used) as my backup. Keeping the existing depthfinders - I have one forward in each hull as I tend to explore VERY shallow. My dingy oar is marked in 6" increments for exploring where I can go with the cat but no NEMA 2000 interface yet. i am looking at the Vexilar Sp100 Sonarphone W/Transducer Pod - I like the concept.

I have an older handheld GPS and also 2 handheld VHF, also older. I have never sailed with radar but admit there were times in New England that I would have like to have had it.

Something not on your list but I highly recommend - several USB outlets throughout the boat and a waterproof one at the helm. Otherwise, you will quickly get tired of the charging cables laying about.

BTW, during lightning, the handhelds go in the oven with the phone. If you are completely connected, even a near miss is going to cause a lot of hurt.
Good luck.
Ed
BTW, the new B&G V50 VHF with H50 wireless handset looks very interesting.

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 09:33   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Are you starting out ? have you sailed before ?

IMHO nothing replaces Common sense, skill and knowledge. Tools just make the process easier. having tools and not knowing why we have them is quite useless..

If new to sailing, nothing beats on sea courses. Will save you tons of cash if not your safety.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 10:19   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Hi All,
Includes:
1- “Navigation/chart plotter” SW that can communicate with all devices on the boat “Radar – AIS – Autopilot – Compass – GPS…….etc”
2- PC “Low power consumption- 12/24v DC powered - 8GB RAM - solid state hard drive – Processor I7 - NMEA interface with built in multiplexing functions - marine PC
3- GPS Receiver
4- Compass sensor
5- AIS class A
6- NMEA to WiFi Adaptors
7- Forward Scan sounder
10- Weather station
13- Nice To have: Network Video Camera “Waterproof - Power over Ethernet (PoE) - Low-light mode”

In my opinion AIS A on a yacht is wasted money. You will be fine with the much less costly AIS B, just mind to have the active one that transmits (some of the units only receive).
Although it transmits your data only every 30 secs (as to 2secs for AIS A) it will be enough to be noticed by anyone who has an AIS equipment.

Than I conquer with the post advising to acquire as muxh as possible equipment from a single vendor. It will make integration so much easier. If you mix units, they integrate in theory, but help from the vendors will scarce. Each will blame the other for problems.

As to Radar - it depends on your cruising style. In my opinion you do not need it in the Med if you plan to sail in daylight only.
I find it beneficial, when sailing at night, especially with less experienced crew. It gives them (with the AIS) much confidence at night shifts.
On a personal side: radar saved my ass on a pitch black night, near the south coast of Spain, when an unidentified vessel came directly towards our bow on a reciprocal course, with no green/red navigation lights. I have seen it on the radar only, the did not respond to VHF, so I have changed course and seen their working stern light once they passed.
I can say with certainty, that without the radar, would collide.
Old 17-01-2015, 10:31   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Hi All,
Includes:
1- “Navigation/chart plotter” SW that can communicate with all devices on the boat “Radar – AIS – Autopilot – Compass – GPS…….etc”
3- GPS Receiver
4- Compass sensor
5- AIS class A
6- NMEA to WiFi Adaptors
7- Forward Scan sounder
10- Weather station

Maybe to be an A-hole do you want the space ship Enterprise or a sail boat? I doubt seriously for 10K you can outfit like that or need to be.

Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:27   #13

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

B&G Triton + Zeus2
One display connects to e.thing
AIS B, please, the black-box if you have the single monitor
SIMRAD is a budget version from b&g
Radar is good when alone or in fog.
Forward sonar, good on reefs, or close to unknown pier docks in little islands
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 05:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Basics with
Vesper Marine XB-8000 AIS Transponder with WiFi
and a PC with OpenCPN
solves your GPS and AIS Problem. You can connect almost every unit, echosounder, wind instruments, speedlog and engine with NMEA 2000 equals Seatalk NG

fantastic - tested it and it's on my boat - won't miss it!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 17:15   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
... B&G also allow integration of load cells and data acquisition which is of interest to us.
Thats an cool idea...could collect some very ineresting data with an integrated array of load cells at strategic locations on a boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, men