Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 03:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: I’m anti AIS. BUT......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
. . .I know several commercial bridge officers. When near the actual harbor, they don’t look at the 65,000 little boats clogging the harbor with AIS broadcasts. They ignore those. They expect you to move.

When Rule 10 applies. But in open water they for sure are looking at their AIS targets. You really want to appear on their screens not just with radar.

Quote:
I’m not sure what you were worried about. Proper seamanship is crossing the shipping lane at a 90 degree angle. Inbound and outbound lanes are clearly defined, so you know exactly where the big boats are coming from already. You just listen carefully and scoot across the lane. . .

Listen? You can't always hear a fast ship coming down a busy TSS in time to be out of danger. And what if they are so busy that there is always a ship audible? Or see it, especially in fog. AIS worth its weight in gold in these situations. Doesn't replace radar, but particularly in heavy traffic it so much speeds up plotting that you can deal with many more targets at once, than you can without it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 03:16   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Good stuff, Dockhead.

The one think I should add is that I don’t need a robust chart plotter.

I don’t need to leave the salon sailing this new boat. The indoor helm and nav station are one thing. One area. It’s L-shaped. Wheel in front of you, nav computer to the right. So it’s all indoors and climate controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Cheap for sure, but yikes.

To go without a plotter/MFD he can use OpenCPN, which has a good radar plug-in. This works with a number of radars, but I can tesitfy that it works flawlessly with the Navico 3G and 4G radars. A used 3G radome will be dirt cheap and works pretty well.

OpenCPN can also use data from a black box AIS.

But a 7" Vulcan or Zeus MFD, especially one which is a generation or two obsolete, will cost peanuts, and is vastly better than using a fragile home computer or IPad.

AIS Type B has been replaced with a new type some call B+. B+ is better, but B is good enough. These are being sold cheap as they are now obsolete. Used will be even cheaper, but make sure you can still put your MMSI into it -- some of them can only be reprogrammed once before going back to the factory.

If you are going to be single handing and not always keeping a watch (which I don't recommend), then you REALLY want to be broadcasting AIS so that people see you. You really should not use a receive-only AIS.

You will also want to be sure that your radar reflector is up to snuff.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 03:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
When Rule 10 applies. But in open water they for sure are looking at their AIS targets. You really want to appear on their screens not just with radar.

Listen? You can't always hear a fast ship coming down a busy TSS in time to be out of danger. And what if they are so busy that there is always a ship audible? Or see it, especially in fog. AIS worth its weight in gold in these situations. Doesn't replace radar, but particularly in heavy traffic it so much speeds up plotting that you can deal with many more targets at once, than you can without it.

Are you not familiar with required sound signals in fog?

What are you trying to convince me of here when I’m the one asking for advice on what AIS transmission device to get???
Old 16-12-2021, 03:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes...
Very nice! I’ll look that brand up. Thank you.
Old 16-12-2021, 03:26   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Are you not familiar with required sound signals in fog?

What are you trying to convince me of here when I’m the one asking for advice on what AIS transmission device to get???

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, and I hope have given useful advice on AIS.

Not all vessels sound proper fog signals, or better say very many vessels don't sound proper fog signals, so fog is a pretty dangerous situation. You will be happy, or least you will be much safer, when you have your new AIS and radar set up
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 03:50   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

Vesper 8000xb ais / iPad and Furuno dsrw4 or 1620.

Probably the cheapest way to do what you want without diy electronics.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 05:54   #22

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

If you're not planning on transmitting AIS all the time, you might consider a radar transponder instead. It will paint an enhanced target on the radar screens of the other vessels, like a racon buoy, and alert you that there's a vessel in radar range.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...118&id=2025506
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 06:19   #23

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Commercial Captains and crews have enough to do trying to get from point A to B while using AIS, good communication and prudent watches.
So YOU find some aspects of AIS irritating? Really? Interesting.
You choose to take “cat naps” ? OK ...When you get run over, be a gentleman and please go down with your ship.
The problem is that the manatees are not always on a nice steel commercial vessel which can run you over with some paint or prop damage. They have an aluminum yacht and while it will probably sink a lot of plastic toys, it might get dented...Now they have to fish your carcass out of the drink, use cold beer and frozen pizza on you till the medical examiner begins dissection.
Waste cold beer on someone who wants to sail without AIS.

If you want to sail with no AIS some itty bitty plastic toy...have at it.
Just don’t ask anyone to risk their life saving you. BUT..unfortunately...
We are Legally obligated to do so. A fact which does not change our opinion of you. And you can fill in the blanks.
The manatee crew are trained professional mariners who use every available technology and proper watchkeeping to avoid injuring others.
They respect not just the letter of the law, but the work of all those who continue to improve safety at sea. AIS is just such an improvement. Your choice to not transmit speaks volumes about you.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 07:04   #24

Boat: Morgan 382

Most AIS units i have seen have a silent mode that can either be activated via software, or by connecting a toggle switch to it. I've done it on rare occasion with my vesper, and a close friend does it on his raymarine. So this part of your question is easy.

The most inexpensive Radar units use wifi and will work with an ipad an no chart plotter needed. Navionics can also connect to a wifi AIS to display AIS targets. Getting radar and AIS on the same screen on an ipad might be tough.

OpenCPN might be the best option there, as it supports both radar and AIS. You will need to confirm what radars work with it before buying.

If a chartplotter is an acceptable cost, the Axiom 7 is relatively inexpensive (as cheap as a new ipad) and supports radar and AIS. The biggest downside is the ridiculous cost of charts for it.
Old 16-12-2021, 13:37   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Buy a second hand chart plotter , a second hand radar and a new SOTDMA class B transmit AIS. Do not bother with receive AIS.
Old 16-12-2021, 13:58   #26

Your post makes me not want to get it AT ALL.

I used to think you were a decent guy. That was trash.

Plus I ASKED WHAT HARDWARE I COULD USE TO HAVE A DECENT TRANSPONDER AND RADAR SETUP SO I COULD HAVE A PROXIMITY ALARM.

Are you encased in ice up there? It would seem the cranium of the manatee froze over solid. Very dense.

Or maybe you don’t know what a transponder is? Either way, the manatee cranium seems dense as can be from all the ice this year.

This post is so objectionable and such a personal attack, I should report it. Shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Commercial Captains and crews have enough to do trying to get from point A to B while using AIS, good communication and prudent watches.
So YOU find some aspects of AIS irritating? Really? Interesting.
You choose to take “cat naps” ? OK ...When you get run over, be a gentleman and please go down with your ship.
The problem is that the manatees are not always on a nice steel commercial vessel which can run you over with some paint or prop damage. They have an aluminum yacht and while it will probably sink a lot of plastic toys, it might get dented...Now they have to fish your carcass out of the drink, use cold beer and frozen pizza on you till the medical examiner begins dissection.
Waste cold beer on someone who wants to sail without AIS.
See ...the test for narcissistic behavior and pathology is simple...it’s all about what they want. That is how they justify their behavior. ME, ME, ME.
Selfish.
Self centered.
Immature.
If you want to sail with no AIS some itty bitty plastic toy...have at it.
Just don’t ask anyone to risk their life saving you. BUT..unfortunately...
We are Legally obligated to do so. A fact which does not change our opinion of you. And you can fill in the blanks.
The manatee crew are trained professional mariners who use every available technology and proper watchkeeping to avoid injuring others.
They respect not just the letter of the law, but the work of all those who continue to improve safety at sea. AIS is just such an improvement. Your choice to not transmit speaks volumes about you.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Old 16-12-2021, 14:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Buy a second hand chart plotter , a second hand radar and a new SOTDMA class B transmit AIS. Do not bother with receive AIS.
Really?? I’m surprised to hear this, actually.

So you would say the radar targets are sufficient as a proximity alarm?

I was trying to get a little more reliability so if something that didn’t show up on radar as a target ventured into close proximity, I’d get them on AIS assuming they had it.

Not worth the extra hassle?
Old 16-12-2021, 14:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJ87 View Post
Vesper 8000xb ais / iPad and Furuno dsrw4 or 1620.

Probably the cheapest way to do what you want without diy electronics.
Thank you! I will look these up!
Old 16-12-2021, 14:04   #29

Thanks to all. Some good advice on what transponder and radar to get keeping costs under control.

To the jerks of the thread... why????
Old 16-12-2021, 14:44   #30

If you decide to only receive
and as you have stated
your VHF has AIS, Do this
But a YAKER from Yakerbit
connect positive , negative, one wire from the
VHF ( on my SH 2400 it’s the blue)
and presto you can see AIS on most
WiFi enabled tablets ( mine an Ipad running