Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 11:34   #1

Boat: Nordic 44
I com M-55

I took this radio out when I replaced it with an AIS Simrad. I never used it. I hooked it up the other day on the boat and it worked fine in all regards but it would not transmit on high frequency. It would on low and that was confirmed via a radio check reply from 5 miles away. What would cause that? Is it a set up issue? I would like to sell it and would like to see if I can get it functioning before doing so. Right now it’s out of the boat which is 900 miles away so I cannot operate it. Thoughts?
Mike
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 13:01   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: I com M-55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
I took this radio out when I replaced it with an AIS Simrad. I never used it. I hooked it up the other day on the boat and it worked fine in all regards but it would not transmit on high frequency. It would on low and that was confirmed via a radio check reply from 5 miles away. What would cause that? Is it a set up issue? I would like to sell it and would like to see if I can get it functioning before doing so. Right now it’s out of the boat which is 900 miles away so I cannot operate it. Thoughts?
Mike
The best way to confirm power output is to use a dummy load and a watt meter. Voice checks are not reliable. The radio may work but there might not be anyone listening at that time.

If you can get a dummy load and watt meter, you can also use a handheld VHF to talk to the radio. This will confirm the modulator is working.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:48   #3

Thanks. When I switch to High the screen blinks and then returns to channel 16. The High designator symbol does not appear. I immediately did a radio check call on low power and received an acknowledgement.
Old 18-06-2020, 09:41   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Does it still show the "Low" indicator? Per the manual, there is no high indicator, just the appearance/disappearance of the low indicator.
Click image for larger version

Name:	M55 <a title=Power.PNG Views: 81 Size: 69.6 KB ID: 217661" style="margin: 2px" />

Alternatively, the same button is used to switch (along with the Function button) between US and Intl channel definitions. Any chance the Function button is stuck? Does the channel designator "USA" appear/disappear?

Click image for larger version

Name:	M55 Power2.PNG
Views:	74
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	217662
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 13:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Does it still show the "Low" indicator? Per the manual, there is no high indicator, just the appearance/disappearance of the low indicator.

Attachment 217661

Alternatively, the same button is used to switch (along with the Function button) between US and Intl channel definitions. Any chance the Function button is stuck? Does the channel designator "USA" appear/disappear?

Attachment 217662

It shows the low indicator and transmits on low. I think it blinks the trx symbol when switched to high but only momentarily. If a station hears me on low they should hear me on high I assume. But they are not. I assume it was on USA.