Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 14:59   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
HughesNet as an offshore internet option?

If I am cruising 5-10 miles offshore I will be out of range most shore-based wifi and things like that.

Is HughesNet a viable option for internet in that situation? It is a satellite network aimed at rural users.

My concern is that the antenna might need to be pointed at the satellite and that will be difficult if the boat is on the move.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: HughesNet as an offshore internet option?

Needs a carefully aimed, fixed, directional satellite dish. Won't work on a boat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:54   #3

http://www.omniaccess.com/broadbeam/
dennismckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 17:56   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Needs a carefully aimed, fixed, directional satellite dish. Won't work on a boat.
+1. Used to have Hughes Net ashore...very touchy about alignment...even the slightest shift will screw it up. Mounted pole for dish in concrete.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 08:34   #5

Boat: Columbia, MK II, 34

Hughes Net is crappy service for anyone, anywhere. But all personal feelings aside the ground station cannot move more than 1 or 2 miles then the receiver has to be reprogrammed by tech support. Yes it's a satellite but imagine the transmission is like a spotlight, it only transmits to your dish on a small area of the Earths surface.
Mr Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 10:29   #6

Boat: J/42

I had Hughesnet, before DSL was available in my area. And I had the "service codes" to change satellites and locations. As others point out, its fixed-installation only and very slow. The latency is very high and breaks many internet services.

A cell phone hot spot with LTE service is much, much faster and more reliable. You can get that 5-10 miles off shore, in many places.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 11:06   #7

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn View Post
Hughes Net is crappy service for anyone, anywhere. But all personal feelings aside the ground station cannot move more than 1 or 2 miles then the receiver has to be reprogrammed by tech support. Yes it's a satellite but imagine the transmission is like a spotlight, it only transmits to your dish on a small area of the Earths surface.
Uh, actually you can pretty much move it anywhere in "North" America without any requirement to do anything other than re-aim it. However this is a mute point.

In a word Hughes Net is horrible.

I experienced the following.
1. Routinely they slowed my baud rate over time till I complained and then it was, No problem here..... Then my service went back to normal.
2. If your dish gets even the least bit out of alignment you are unable to access the internet. This makes it a no go any offshore usage.
3. Their "Satellite" modem puts out 2 wireless signals, one for the regular user and one hidden one for service people that has to be strong enough to reach outside a house. All the time. That is way more than I want in close quarters on my boat.

I dumped Hughes net in lew of Verison and or ATT unlimited running through cell phones with signal boosters up the mast and of course wireless with a booster.
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 12:42   #8

Boat: Watkins W27
Send a message via Skype™ to Stillwater1

all of the above AND stay away from HUGHESdotNET at all costs. Horrible customer service, and not very good in all other ways.
Stillwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 16:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you are going to be that close to shore a cellular booster at the top of the mast will very easily reach out 20nm. Its a much better option than a sattelite internet if at all possible.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hughes, internet, offshore