Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 02:50   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
HP Printer 3785 ink cartridge

I bought an HP Printer 3785 in Cape Town, South Africa. As I am circumnavigating, now I find myself in Brazil and need an ink cartridge.

Unfortunately, HP seems to block cartridges bought in countries that are different from the country of origin of the printer.

I bought a cartridge here in Brazil that it's made for the same model of my printer, although here in Brazil my printer is called with a different number. But I made sure about the compatibility by looking at HP website.

Needless to say, the cartridge doesn't work. I've contacted HP, but they were not able to help.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:35   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: HP Printer 3785 ink cartridge

Get the old one refilled
Old 04-06-2019, 05:08   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Every less-developed nation I've been to has an IT oriented mall or neighborhood, where hundreds of tiny stalls are filled with very smart people selling everything you need.

And especially, know how to defeat these idiotic DRM type IP protections.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15   #4
B4A

Thanks, I've been lucky enough to never have to bother with this stuff. I'll ask around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Every less-developed nation I've been to has an IT oriented mall or neighborhood, where hundreds of tiny stalls are filled with very smart people selling everything you need.

And especially, know how to defeat these idiotic DRM type IP protections.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:52   #5

Why don't you buy ink e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...AbTest=ae803_4 and fill it up? This is very easy process and you will have ink for a future filling too.
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:20   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Replacement cartridges are insanely priced, everywhere. Use a refill kit. Even Amazon has a huge selection. Very easy to do, but refill inside, out of the wind. I learned the hard way and finally resorted to refilling in our stainless steel sink on a windless day. No matter how carefully you are, some ink always escapes.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
I bought an HP Printer 3785 in Cape Town, South Africa. As I am circumnavigating, now I find myself in Brazil and need an ink cartridge.

Unfortunately, HP seems to block cartridges bought in countries that are different from the country of origin of the printer.

I bought a cartridge here in Brazil that it's made for the same model of my printer, although here in Brazil my printer is called with a different number. But I made sure about the compatibility by looking at HP website.

Needless to say, the cartridge doesn't work. I've contacted HP, but they were not able to help.

Some of types of cartridges cannot be refilled or if they can, they are limited in the number times that they can be refilled. The printer actually reads the cartridge and can tell if its been refilled or how many times.

Have you tried Ebay or AMAZON? Im sure you could find the correct version of cartridge from some provider somewhere who really doesnt care that youre in Brazil.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:58   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post

FWIW: I have HP3785 purchased in Turkey. Bought in Greece compatible cartridges (not made by HP) and everything works fine.
Old 05-06-2019, 13:03   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes they use like five or seven sections of the world, like DVD players.

Greece and Turkey are in the same zone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro...ast_and_Africa
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:22   #10
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Replacement cartridges are insanely priced, everywhere. Use a refill kit. Even Amazon has a huge selection. Very easy to do, but refill inside, out of the wind. I learned the hard way and finally resorted to refilling in our stainless steel sink on a windless day. No matter how carefully you are, some ink always escapes.

Thank you Singlespeed! We found a hole in the wall that did the job for USD2.50!!!

This forum is fantastic! You can find clever answers for everything!