Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2011, 18:02   #16

Re: How to Purchase a C.A.R.D Radar Detector ?

There are two basic marine radar frequencies commonly known as "X" and "S" band. "X" band, because of its higher frequency, 10 GHz provides a higher resolution and a crisper image while "S" band, at 3 GHz is less affected by rain and fog. In most situations larger vessels are fitted with both "X" and "S" band radars while smaller vessels will only have an "X" band. Vessels in excess of 300 gross tons are required to have two operational marine radars
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 19:34   #17

I have a survival engineering systems inc model 050 for sale. I'll be in Mazatlan soon, shipping might not be worth it, but if anyone down here wants it let me know.

-p
Old 15-12-2011, 12:25   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam
Earlier this year I talked to a singlehander,from Estonia of all places.He had a Hanse 44 with all the bells and whistles.Despite having radar and AIS he said his radar detector was very useful and important to him.
yes it is, but like I wrote before, a SeaMe also does radar detection as a bonus feature.

ciao!
Nick

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 07:41   #19

Boat: Young Sun, Sunrise 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasM View Post
After many hours of old Forum snooping. I have decided to purchase and instal a CARD radar detecting system. I looked on-line and couldnt find anyone selling them so I phoned a few marine and electronic dealers- no luck. anyone have any leads? Are they still available? Thanks in advance.
I have a used one that I just removed from my boat. Operates perfectly but has the usual weathering of the antenna. The antenna cable is about 20 feet. Let me know if you are interested.
svtriall"at"gmail"dot"com. Cheers

Murray
mwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 08:52   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you have the budget, both an AIS transponder and a CARD can be of help. It depends on what is out there that is a potential threat.

As far as I know, the latest marine radar still operates at the 3cm and 10cm bands. I don't think that has changed.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 10:57   #21

I got a used CARD for $100.I mounted the antenna inside my solid dodger.Maybe not the best place.It only beeps when a ship is only a couple of miles away.But I know to look right away if it beeps and it does not give false beeps when near the coast.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 19:11   #22

Boat: Columbia 41

I bought a CARD from a guy through this website. I paid $300 including P&H. That was about half price. I checked the unit by hot wiring it to my battery bank. When I turned it on the thing went crazy. It picked up the planes landing at Reagan National Air Port and flying overhead to NYC. Also the party boats passing on the Potomac. It seems to pick up a wide range of signals.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 19:44   #23

Boat: Tartan 30

Up until last year there was a british website selling new units (different model than the survivalsafety units) for about $500+shipping. Can't seem to find the website anymore... I don't know if you can contact survivalsafety.com and still buy a new one or not, but they don't have any contact links on their website.

I'm guessing it's used units only from here on out. When I bought mine, I did enough research to decide it was worth owning. But, I sold it knowing one day I'll be able to afford an actual radar. I still think a CARD is a good option for people looking for extremely low power consumption and/or don't want to spring for a $1500 radar. Even better when combined with AIS. Much less power on active duty than a sleeping radar unit....

I think if anyone decides they want one, anything (in good condition) under $500 is gonna be a good price. Take whatever you find because they are few and far between.

Sam, good to here you were able to test it. As far as I know, it'll pick up any radar activity within about 7-12 miles. Not sure if it only looks for marine frequencies or not, but It's definitely only meant for open ocean sailing

The only person I know that actually used one, is a guy named Nick jaffe who sailed his Contessa 26 from Europe to Australia. Before I bought mine, I emailed him and asked his opinion. He said he'd buy it again under the same circumnstances. Without being able to afford a radar, and only having a very small battery bank and minimal charging power, it was the best piece-of-mind gear he had on the boat.
Old 17-08-2012, 20:08   #24

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've got a CARD. When in the slip, it goes off for the coast guard helicopters overhead. It's too sensitive to use in the Houston area for sure.

My only problem with it is our mounting location, the reciever is next to the bimini frame and is blind to port.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar