Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 12:08   #1

How to dismount flush-mount VHF Radio?

I think this is an easy question for the right knowledgeable person. I have a old Standard Horizon Omni VHF radio flush-mounted in my control panel. (See the attached picture).

I am trying to remove it without damaging anything. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't give any diagrams to illustrate how the radio is mounted. When I remove the 4 visible screws holding the radio to the control panel, I expected the plastic cover to pull away - revealing hidden screws holding the radio body in place.

However, the plastic cover appears "stuck" to the radio body. When the screws are removed, the cover does not move separately from the radio body. In fact, it appears stuck to the radio somehow - maybe adhesively? I am afraid to force it without knowing what I am doing. Gently pulling on either the radio body or the plastic cover does not move the radio - although I can "shake it" a millimeter in either direction.

Any suggestions what might be going on here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	122539  
TampaBaySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:28   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: How to dismount flush-mount VHF Radio?

Try tapping it around the edges. that might free the face plate so that it will come off. Can you remove the panel? the radio might be fastened to the wood from behind also.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 14:29   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

On my SH VHF, the radio slips into the hole from the front but the mounting brackets attach from the rear, sandwiching the mounting surface and holding the radio in place. Look at the radio from the back and it should be obvious.

If you have or can download the installation instructions this should be clear.
Old 13-04-2016, 04:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Pages 5 & 6 ➥ STANDARD HORIZON GX2341S OMNI OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 09:49   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We've been removing many items like this. If you feel pretty sure it's adhesive try this if you like and see if it works:

I've found that the faceplate of many of the electronics were positioned while the varnish was still tacky. Take the slimmest blade you can find (one sided razor blade or similar) and gently try to get it between the wood and the plastic and gently pry it off. No solvent will do it without visible change to the varnish.

This seems drastically simple, I know, but has worked on over 50% of the stuff I've removed. The other stuff I've had to damage the wood. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:11   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBaySailor View Post
I think this is an easy question for the right knowledgeable person. I have a old Standard Horizon Omni VHF radio flush-mounted in my control panel. (See the attached picture).

I am trying to remove it without damaging anything. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't give any diagrams to illustrate how the radio is mounted. When I remove the 4 visible screws holding the radio to the control panel, I expected the plastic cover to pull away - revealing hidden screws holding the radio body in place.

However, the plastic cover appears "stuck" to the radio body. When the screws are removed, the cover does not move separately from the radio body. In fact, it appears stuck to the radio somehow - maybe adhesively? I am afraid to force it without knowing what I am doing. Gently pulling on either the radio body or the plastic cover does not move the radio - although I can "shake it" a millimeter in either direction.

Any suggestions what might be going on here?
You will likely have restraining brackets on the back face of the timber panel. Can you access the back side?

If not look for inserts behind the plastic fascia.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hf radio, radio, vhf