Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
How to aim your Nanostation Loco

I tried a Bullet M2 Ti with an EnGenius 12db omni antenna in our marina. I could see lots of wifi, but the signal quality was so bad I couldn't associate with anything (including the marina's pay for wifi, which is what I was trying to access). In "proof of concept" stage I tried moving it around the boat, I tried hoisting it up the jacklines putting it about halfway up the main mast in the air. It should have had line of site easily.

I couldn't explain it, it worked fine testing it at home.

So I ended up buying a Nanostation Loco (after seeing Jedi post about it) and now I've got a link up. The problem is, I was going to mount the Bullet on the mizzen spreader, and now I've got this thing I gotta aim. I'm considering some kind of rail mount but I would prefer it not be ugly or a pain to setup/take down. Any ideas? Do I put the Bullet up anyways and save it for when I'm in places with less wifi noise?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:22   #2

Re: How to aim your Nanostation Loco

To aim the Loco, you need to be able to turn it, while watching a PC or tablet that's monitoring the desired wifi signal.

If you're flush with cash, maybe you could modify a security-camera remote pan/tilt base to have something you could aim with a couple of pushbuttons.

If your spreader can be reached with a boathook, maybe a manual mount with a socket you can stick a boathook into then turn.

The el-cheapo: Some sort of vertical pipe holder on a stanchion, then a length of telescopic pole (eg window-washing pole) . In port, mount the Loco to the pole, extend pole and slide into pipe holder, rotate for best signal, secure.

Have fun.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33   #3

I have a Nano station and I just prop it up under the dodger. I experimented and the aiming doesn't have to be very close - about 90 degrees seemed to yield the same signal strength. Height also didn't matter - at first I would velcro it to a boathook but found that inside the dodger was the same. Line of site is miles and I find 1 mile is my practical limit for good speed and no dropped connections. I used to have a bullet in the rigging but didn't find the practical range was any better.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Thanks CarlF. Looks like I'm going to have to go with some kind of mobile mount or rail mount.

Lake if I had the budget to mount a remote control aiming device up there, I'd also be paying somebody to install it!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote