Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 22:04   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
As JDS61 said I use my Taff Rail log for not only speed but distance run in 24 hrs, and still use DR everyday!! along with noon sites offshore. of course I use a GPS but don't need it LOL I to don't really like NEW Things Ive had to many of them go belly up on me over the last 50 yrs LOL so I Stick with what I know works and has worked for 1000s of sailors before me and I hope a few after me !! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
A log will tell you (water) speed not distance or ground speed.

A gps will tell you distance and ground speed not (water) speed.

Statistically a gps beats a speed log 2:1 for utility - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 00:53   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: How Necessary is a knot meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
A log will tell you (water) speed not distance or ground speed.

A gps will tell you distance and ground speed not (water) speed.

Statistically a gps beats a speed log 2:1 for utility - LOL
Err...I haven't seen a log that doesn't tell you distance (through water) and most give you STW, but maybe there are some around that are as you have described.
My Walker trailing log only gives distance and no speed (water referenced of course).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 04:34   #48

Boat: contessa 32
Re: How Necessary is a Knot Meter ?

The spinning paddle gives an instant read out as to the speed of the water moving past the hull yes? Therefore I Can see if my latest sail tweak is helping .

My Gps computes the boat speed of the boat relative to the earths surface (o.k., really 4 dimensional space time but lets keep this simple) ,but the read out on the screen is only an average of the periodic inputs from the gps satellites and is not continious ( I don't know the intervals ,but suspect they even vary somewhat depending on the satellites being tracked and their movements.

Am I splitting hairs here ? I Just want to sail as fast as I can if one of those black holes Ive heard tell about is chasing me.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 06:06   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
As far as trimming...I usually go by sail shape.
There have been many, many times when I have found that I can go .5 to .75 knots faster by adjusting the sail to a shape that does NOT look quite as good, with the telltales NOT streaming quite as perfectly. I would not have discovered this, and I would not have made nearly as good of time, if I had not had the knot meter to truly tell me what my sail changes were doing.

Again, I think the problem that most people have is they consider the knot meter to be useless because it is not accurate. They want it to tell them how fast they are going, but it doesn't do a very good job of this. The REAL value of the knot meter is in showing a relative change, and it really doesn't matter at all how far off it is from your actual speed through the water to be useful for this.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 06:09   #50

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

My current boat does not have one, and I don't really miss having one at all. My GPS gives me everything I need to know.

At times, it would be handy for calculating current speed (difference between GPS and knotmeter), but that's more out of a curiosity than any actual need.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 10:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I agree, that would be for just long enough to clean it.

I would look for a new proper plug.

So the impeller threads into the housing? And turns out for cleaning, not pulled straight out?

I'm still looking for the paper manual, I think I have it somewhere.
Normally the impeller is held in by a pin that's an interference fit. Or are you referring to the whole body with the impeller in it? Never heard of that being threaded, there's normally a captive nut on top of the knotlog that engages with a thread on top of the through-hull.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 16:10   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

Err...I haven't seen a log that doesn't tell you distance (through water) and most give you STW, but maybe there are some around that are as you have described.
My Walker trailing log only gives distance and no speed (water referenced of course).
With a log in current you can't tell how far you have travelled over the ground.

If you are doing 8 knots on the log against a 2 knot current you will travel 6nm in an hour.

The gps will show 6kt speed and 6nm distance after an hour. If the log records distance it will show 8 but the 8 is meaningless...
Old 29-02-2012, 16:49   #53

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

The more information you have the better the outcome of your decisons. The average of all will give you superior choices over one source. A little of this and a little of that. Look at it all and decide for yourself based on what you see. IMHO.
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 16:55   #54

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Normally the impeller is held in by a pin that's an interference fit. Or are you referring to the whole body with the impeller in it? Never heard of that being threaded, there's normally a captive nut on top of the knotlog that engages with a thread on top of the through-hull.
Mark, mine has a pin located horizontally across the top of the housing which retains the impeller insert. It has a ring on each end to remove, then pull the pin. The housing itself appears threaded similarly to a through hull fitting with external exposed threads.

So I was inquiring if, after removing the pin, the impeller insert merely pulls straight out for cleaning. Which I suspect it does.

If I had a plug for the housing after the impeller is removed I would investigate further.

Pretty busy cleaning the bilge, rebedding ports, removing old wiring, relocating VHF, and other inexpensive maintenance. But would like to explore the possibility of using the speed log if I could develop a best practice for keeping it working.

It's already there, might as well see if it adds any value to my sailing.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:11   #55

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. Been sailing successfully without ours installed for years now. But, it is still lying next to the thru hull fiting just in case the day comes when those GPS satellites, that we all take for granted, somehow quit sending us the required data transmissions. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:29   #56
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I have heard knot meters defined as "Just another hole to be glassed over when I haul the boat next". My knot meter is off by a known amount, the amount is is off changes as the speed of the boat changes.. of course this assuming the paddle wheel is clean, to clean it while the boat is in the water requires pulling the wheel and replacing it with a plug...always a bit unnerving.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:05   #57

Quote:
With a log in current you can't tell how far you have travelled over the ground.

If you are doing 8 knots on the log against a 2 knot current you will travel 6nm in an hour.

The gps will show 6kt speed and 6nm distance after an hour. If the log records distance it will show 8 but the 8 is meaningless...
I gotta agree that you can't read gound miles numbers right off the display but I was surprised with your comment " A log will tell you (water) speed not distance or ground speed" as all logs I have ever seen give you distance (travelled though water of course). In fact early logs only gave you distance, to get a speed (STW), you had to take two log reading (distance) over a time interval and do the maths. Granted the very early ones gave you only speed as the knots slipped though your fingers out astern while you watched the hour (1/2 minute?) glass but in fact they were measuring the distance of the string and did the calculation for you (ie number of knots).

I know you know this stuff as I bet you learnt to navigate the same way me, indicated airspeed, true airspeed, forecast winds aloft, actual winds, watch, compass, 1 in 60 etc. It was all good training for when I translated to water (pre GPS) using STW, Distance through water, charted currents, predicted tides, time intervals, doubling the compass bearing and so on and so forth.

So the quoted "but the 8 is meaningless..." is not true when it becomes a component of the bigger navigational solution but hey, thanks to GPS, we can now use the time which was taken to complete the solution to do other stuff like tweaking the sails or sitting and thinking or better yet, just sitting...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-03-2012, 06:19   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

I gotta agree that you can't read gound miles numbers right off the display but I was surprised with your comment " A log will tell you (water) speed not distance or ground speed" as all logs I have ever seen give you distance (travelled though water of course). In fact early logs only gave you distance, to get a speed (STW), you had to take two log reading (distance) over a time interval and do the maths. Granted the very early ones gave you only speed as the knots slipped though your fingers out astern while you watched the hour (1/2 minute?) glass but in fact they were measuring the distance of the string and did the calculation for you (ie number of knots).

I know you know this stuff as I bet you learnt to navigate the same way me, indicated airspeed, true airspeed, forecast winds aloft, actual winds, watch, compass, 1 in 60 etc. It was all good training for when I translated to water (pre GPS) using STW, Distance through water, charted currents, predicted tides, time intervals, doubling the compass bearing and so on and so forth.

So the quoted "but the 8 is meaningless..." is not true when it becomes a component of the bigger navigational solution but hey, thanks to GPS, we can now use the time which was taken to complete the solution to do other stuff like tweaking the sails or sitting and thinking or better yet, just sitting...
Sometimes when one tries to say less, as in a shorter post, it ends up all out of context and dragging on over several days and a dozen posts.

Going back to the original post - my opinion is that no instrumentation is "necessary" to make a boat sail.

In my opinion a speed log is useful and a gps is useful as they do different and complimentary things.

To try, again, to clarify my previous posts - Because when we sail the intention is to get somewhere "on-earth" a speed log cannot tell you how far you have travelled over the ground. So if the speed log reads 8 knots and you are bucking a 2 knot current it is useless in the context of telling your wife what time you will be home for dinner with accuracy.

Otoh anyone trimming sails based on gps speed is just doing it wrong. I am currently working with a skipper and trying desparatey to break him of this very bad learned habit. He thinks something is wrong with his rigging because we are faster on one tack vs. another as we sail around in a 2 kt current...
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37   #59

Quote:
Sometimes when one tries to say less, as in a shorter post, it ends up all out of context and dragging on over several days and a dozen posts.

Going back to the original post - my opinion is that no instrumentation is "necessary" to make a boat sail.

Gotta agree

In my opinion a speed log is useful and a gps is useful as they do different and complimentary things.

Gotta agree

To try, again, to clarify my previous posts - Because when we sail the intention is to get somewhere "on-earth" a speed log cannot tell you how far you have travelled over the ground. So if the speed log reads 8 knots and you are bucking a 2 knot current it is useless in the context of telling your wife what time you will be home for dinner with accuracy.

Now that is both funny and a great way to describe it - thanks for the smiles

Otoh anyone trimming sails based on gps speed is just doing it wrong. I am currently working with a skipper and trying desparatey to break him of this very bad learned habit. He thinks something is wrong with his rigging because we are faster on one tack vs. another as we sail around in a 2 kt current...

Well good luck with that one - sounds like you need to start him off again with the basics but it is funny how many of us resist learning basics once we have "made it" . If you could only demonstrate that today it is the port rigging that is crook but last week it was the starboard rigging or whatever
Old 01-03-2012, 13:15   #60
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Granted a knot meter only tell speed through the water, but some applications require that (like trimming sails and figuring out which sail combinations work best when etc..)