Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 02:46   #1

Boat: mmc trawler 42
Horny problem

Hi, a few days ago, hit the horn to warn paddle border. My GPS went blank, after 3 min it came back on, any suggestions would be appreciated.
msavalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 03:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Horny problem

Stay really far away from paddle boarders.
Old 31-10-2021, 03:25   #3

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavalla View Post
Hi, a few days ago, hit the horn to warn paddle border. My GPS went blank, after 3 min it came back on, any suggestions would be appreciated.
My guess is the positive an negative are reversed on the horn and you sent power to the go’s ground…

Total guess
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 05:28   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavalla View Post
Which boat, which horn, which GPS? Factory-installed or end-user wiring? Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Stay really far away from paddle boarders.
Hey! I resemble that remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
My guess is the positive an negative are reversed on the horn and you sent power to the go’s ground…

Total guess
(edit) That is a definite possibly and hard to diagnose as most people do not use the horn often.

I am also thinking loose wire to GPS or GPS is wired on same circuit to a horn that should be running off a relay instead of a simple switch. If the GPS antenna was located right next to an electrically/RF 'dirty' horn motor I would guess it would loose satellites for a minute but not restart.
Old 31-10-2021, 05:44   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

“… any suggestions would be appreciated.”

Don’t press the horn.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 05:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Which boat, which horn, which GPS? Factory-installed or end-user wiring? Pictures?

Hey! I resemble that remark

(edit) That is a definite possibly and hard to diagnose as most people do not use the horn often.

I am also thinking loose wire to GPS or GPS is wired on same circuit to a horn that should be running off a relay instead of a simple switch. If the GPS antenna was located right next to an electrically/RF 'dirty' horn motor I would guess it would loose satellites for a minute but not restart.
I guess what I’m thinking is somehow the power from the horn is making it to the ground of the GPS. I shouldn’t have been so precise in my description.
The concept is that by pushing the horn one is applying power to the GPS ground.
Old 31-10-2021, 05:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Consider the possibility that the horn drew so much current, perhaps beside a corroded connection to the GPS, that voltage dropped below the minimum to power the GPS. I suggest that you check all the connections, and for that matter, wire size.

We use an ordinary aerosol air horn, after years of maintaining wired horns that always seemed to fail when needed. It sits in a PVC tube on top of the wheelhouse, and has a hinged flap over the push button. A wire from there runs down to the wheelhouse. A pull on the lever in the wheelhouse pulls the flap down on the top of the horn. The horn itself sticks out through a slot in the pVC tube, and a PVC cap fits over it all. It's simple, and has not failed despite no maintenance in five years.
Old 31-10-2021, 05:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Consider the possibility that the horn drew so much current, perhaps beside a corroded connection to the GPS, that voltage dropped below the minimum to power the GPS. I suggest that you check all the connections, and for that matter, wire size.

I consider that a good guess too
Old 31-10-2021, 06:14   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post

+1 for the above. They are also probably on the same wire run, so possibly switch them to independent circuits if you are a persistent horn blower.
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 06:17   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Second thought. The horn itself may be defective. Certainly my experience with electric horns exposed to salt air/spray would suggest it. A defective horn may be little more than a short circuit to ground, and pull bunches of amps, dropping the voltage way down.
Old 31-10-2021, 07:39   #11

Boat: Boatless Again

Automotive wiring system has power to the positive side of the horn through a fuse or breaker. The horn blows when the ground side is connected through your steering wheel horn ring. This design is to prevent 12v from being present in the steering wheel.
Some boat horns systems are also wired that way--with the horn button switch between the horn and the ground.

I am going to assume that your boat has an air horn powered by a compressor, which is linked to the horn with a plastic tube. A locked up horn compressor motor will elevate the ground voltage in the horn circuit. If you have a weak connection in your ground circuit somewhere, it could mess up a lot of 12 volt stuff.

My first and second questions are: Did the horn make any noise when you hit the button? Does the horn still work?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 09:06   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Cars, trucks, powerboats, tugboats and ships use horns.

Sailors speak to the paddle boat or other craft (it's quiet out there, your voice will carry). I think we've used our air horn about zero times in 38 years.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 10:58   #13

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I agree that speaking with the paddle boarder (as a paddle boarder) is polite rather than laying on the horn...but I cannot say what OP's conditions were at the time. If the paddle boarder is mid-fairway with earbuds in and not situation-aware then a couple toots is appropriate.

This conversation reminded me that I have a set of horns to install. I got them out to have a look. Harbor Freight 99911, two-horn set with relay and mounting straps (switch, fuse, wires, and battery not included). I tried to toot them with a 22ga alligator test wire and only got a single click from each horn. I switched to a larger set of alligator test leads and enough current was passed to make a satisfying toot. Then I decided to go full test run on the bench and wired up the relay with a switch and fuse using whatever scrap wire I had in the box. They are quite loud and reasonably in harmony.

The schematic as drawn by HF shows + shorted to - on both horns. They also explain the terminals elsewhere in the instructions and recommend that the parts be installed by someone qualified.

Pic of the bench setup and my improved version of the schematic enclosed, insert suitable disclaimer here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF99911_BENCH_WIRED.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	247615   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF99911_SCHEM_IMPROVED.png
Views:	16
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	247616  

Old 31-10-2021, 11:17   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Paddle boarder. Kinky pirate? Hmmmmm
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote