Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 06:35   #1

Horizon CPF390i and DS45

Can I use my old DS45 with my new CPF390i? Sure don't want to poke another hole thru the hull.
SummerObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 20' Boston Whaler Outrage
Re: Horizon CPF390i and DS45

SummerObsession,

The CPF390i will need a new Airmar transducer with Xducer ID, if your hull is fiberglass, you can use the DST525 shoot thru the hull transducer. No additional holes in your hull. The DS45 also uses a 200 kHz transducer so either turn off the DS45 when using the fishfinder or switch the fishfinder to 50 kHz.

Please call Standard Horizon Technical Support at 800-767-2450 if you have any additional questions. We will be closed Thursday and Friday this week for Thanksgiving.
StandardHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 09:33   #3

Thanks for the info now I know what to get myself for Christmas, have a great day.
SummerObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:46   #4
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I've had one intractable problem with my CPF390i: The SOG and COG vary so wildly that both numbers are unuseable in ocean swells.

The cause is the lack of dampening (electronic averaging) to compensate for sway and surge.

Heave
is the linear vertical (up/down) motion

Sway
is the linear lateral (side-to-side) motion

Surge
is the linear longitudinal (front/back) motion

GPS speed (velocity) and direction are derived by comparing the present position with the most recent previous position. Sway can be substantial, causing a boat to move sideways 20 feet or more on each crest and trough several times per minute (depending on the wave height and periodicity) at velocities greater than the boat's forward motion through the water.

When a boat sways in ocean swells, the GPS-derived direction is distorted in the direction of the sway, and the speed is distorted by the surge. The result: the boat appears to change direction (yaw) by a large factor - I've seen apparent changes in direction of over 60 degrees. With a swell period of 10 seconds, the boat will appear to turn 12 times per minute. And surge causes the speed to continually fluctuate by several knots. The changes in SOG and COG are so wild at times that they can't even be read.

I reported the problem to Standard Horizon several times, and while the response times in SOG/COG can be adjusted slightly, the adjustment is inadequate. Their final suggestion is that I use the boat's compass instead (!!), and they had no answer to my follow-on question: "How am I supposed to determine course-over-ground from my compass - without reverting to 19th century technology?" One doesn't buy a chart plotter that requires using ancient navigation methods for accuracy.

I compensated for the problem by installing a Garmin model GPS 72H receiver in the cockpit next to the CPF390i. The GPS 72H allows the user to set a long averaging time on course and speed. I set that time to 20 seconds, which is longer than the usual periodicity of swells in my region. The Garmin SOG/COG display is rock solid and usable for navigation, where the CPF390i SOG/COG display is not usable on anything but glassy lakes.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 09:01   #5
cruiser

Attached is a short video that shows the large deviations in COG on the Standard Horizon plotter while comparing the COG display to a Garmin handheld GPS set to average over 20 seconds. The Garmin shows a variation of +/- 1 degree. The Standard Horizon: +/- 20 degrees!

I was sailing in very light seas on a constant heading (using the autopilot) of 040 degrees, with 2 foot swells abeam. The SH plotter display of COG is completely unusable. The plotter "speed filter" was set to "high".

The SH plotter lacks a variable adjustment for averaging COG/SOG. It only has stepped "speed" settings, and the highest setting is inadequate.

I've had to resort to using the Garmin for navigation.
Attached Files
Old 26-02-2015, 11:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cpt Pat,

Please confirm that you have adjusted the Navigation Speed and Speed Filter settings accessible from the GPS Status page by pressing ENT:

Navigation Speed setting, it is a GPS receiver option, and should be configured accordingly to the Navigation Speed: “Low” for low speed navigation and “High” for high speed navigation.

Speed Filter function is meant to resolve erratic speed readings in rough seas, filtering COG and SOG variations: while navigating at low speed, the best setting is “High”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Status Page.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	97970  
Old 26-02-2015, 12:06   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardHorizon View Post
Cpt Pat,

Please confirm that you have adjusted the Navigation Speed and Speed Filter settings accessible from the GPS Status page by pressing ENT:

Navigation Speed setting, it is a GPS receiver option, and should be configured accordingly to the Navigation Speed: “Low” for low speed navigation and “High” for high speed navigation.

Speed Filter function is meant to resolve erratic speed readings in rough seas, filtering COG and SOG variations: while navigating at low speed, the best setting is “High”.
It is set to "high." I discovered long ago that without the setting on "high" the plotter will display some ridiculously high SOG (like 999999 knots) and reboot whenever the boat backs up - even when tied up at the slip.

The cause of that malfunction is a severe mismatch in the integration time for SOG versus COG. Example: if the boat is moving slowly east (COG 090) at a very low speed, and then backs up (usually due to seaway surge), the COG remains at 090 while the next position is a point in space a few feet to the west. The plotter interprets this as the boat having gone forward (not backward) east all the way around the Earth (minus a few feet). It displays this "instant circumnavigation" for a second or two, any alarms like the grounding alarm go off (after all, it thinks I just crossed a couple of continents) and then commits suicide by rebooting.

It's not a hardware problem: the hardware has been swapped out with no change in behavior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2995.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	97971  
Old 26-02-2015, 12:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cpt Pat,

Based on the screen shot that you posted of the GPS Status Page you will need to update the software to v16.73.
R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon