Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 10:24   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Hf weather HELP...

Mario,
I'm glad you've gotten some good results!
Sorry about my typos!!! Really sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
Greetings John,
I've been playing with the radio the past few days. Identified rf interference on boat, land noise and poor propagation.
Have been tuning to(voice) WLO Mobile, NMG NO, and NMN VA
Results have been favorable mostly on 13089,8764 -- 8502, 4316.

For WLO Mob you gave frequencies of 4396, 6319...I have nothing on these, instead I pick them up on 4369, 6519, 8788 with good signal, 8788 not as good.
Yep, 4369 and 6519 are the correct freqs!!
Sorry about my errors / typos!!!
And yes, depending on time-of-day, 8788 is probably just a bit too high for your short distance!
(there's more to propagation that first meets the eye)

For what it is worth the radio does have a signal strength indicator and snr indicator(numerical display). Also have jvcomm32.
Okay, those are good thing!!
If you make note of your signal strength readings on the different freqs, at various times this will come in handy...

Also, you can use the radio and its signal meter to "track down" offending RFI....although a lot of on-board RFI is "radiated" by the wiring attached to some devices, things like inverters, refrigeration, etc. produce so much that its easy to find 'em...
Understand that you might just live with some of the interference, but what you can't live with you can reduce / eliminate without spending much money (typically < $50)

I have viewed the videos and read many,many... posts and sticky (my head is spinning)
I know I like to drive into things, and don't stop 'til I'm done...but..
But, remember "Rome wasn't built in a day", so take your time and if your head seems like it'll explode, take a break....(or watch some fun videos for a few minutes)

All this wealth of information has been very helpful, your videos are very good also.
Thanks, I'm glad they've helped!
BTW, I realy do appreciate feedback on them....'cause while this is old hat to me, I try to find the best way to explain things, that is both accurate AND doesn't over-whelm, or at least only overwhelms a little bit!

In that context, I would like to ask you for some feedback / critique about one set of videos (see below)

My dear sir I owe you a bottle of your favorite delight, for all your help.
Mario, you owe me nothing!
It is my pleasure!
(besides, I'm a Iced Tea or Lemonade guy anyway....although the 2014 Caymas Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon was really nice last month!)

Seriously, I originally learned sailing/cruising from my parents in the 1960's, and the tradition of all mariners always helping all other mariners, always!
I've seen it my whole life....whether the captain of a cement freighter a few football fields in length, a first officer of Panamax container ship, a captain of a super-tanker, etc.....or young couple with a 2yr old daughter just 300 miles from finishing their 4-year circumnav on a 30-footer w/ no frig, or the guy on the charter boat with a line around his prop, or the family stuck on a sandbar in the fancy new half-million dollar sailboat, or the guy stuck at the dock for personal reasons, etc. etc. etc....they are all the same!! (and all of the above, I've met and helped or been helped by!!)

So, all I ask from you is two things:
a) next time you post a query, give as much info as you can...
b) pass on your good results and successes to others...
That's it, my friend!

I do realize the difficulty of receiving on hf while in port, can't wait to get out on open water.
If you want, you can take the radio out in the sticks or to the beach, etc...or even in your dinghy....string a 20' wire up, and that will be a test away from lots of the RFI....

You are a good and patient teacher.
Good? yes...
Patient? not so sure! (have a look at the last few days of postings on the "'Too much RX noise on HAM setup" thread)

Regards,
Mario
Mario, I realize that this has NOTHING to do with you receiving the weather, and I do NOT want to confuse you with more stuff....so, know this up front!
But, in my series of videos about HF-DSC, I described "DSC" as similar to "text messaging", just that there are only 5 texts that you can send...

This is of course a simplification of the DSC system, one that I hope explains things to layperson sailors....but, I've gotten quite a bit of flack from my fellow professionals and purists (with some even posting public negative comments about the simplistic "errors")

If you get a chance, have a look and tell me here what you think of the approach...
Thanks...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:18   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If I was going to the SW Caribbean, I would be getting my weather from Chris Parker--much more information.

https://www.mwxc.com/marine_weather_services.php

Take note of his frequencies and times (they change with daylight savings time), make sure the radio is set to USB, and be aware that after his first net of the day Chris is usually behind schedule. If you are patient, Chris will usually give a forecast for a boat in your area.

Looking at his published schedules, he should currently be doing the SW Caribbean at 9am on 8137 khz USB, but Dockside radio shows it at 8:30 EDT

East Coast Cruising Nets

Note that the built-in antenna on the radio is pretty useless--you will need to use an alligator clip and a long (25-30 ft) wire to pull in SSB signals.

Depending on where you are in Florida, you may be too close to hear the 8137 khz net. You should be able to hear the boats calling him. You should also be able to pick him up at 4045 khz at 6:40 am EDT.

One of the reviews of the tecsun radio reported problems with tuning, which were resolved by sending it back and having new software installed in the radio.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11457

If you are having trouble, try tuning the WWV sound signal at 2500, 5000, 10000, and 15000 khz. If you can't get that, you may have radio problems.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 12:03   #18

Boat: ketch, 51'

Don,
I am able to receive signals as above.
I think www only on one 250khz
None of the ones you listed.
Oh no not radio problems��
Old 21-10-2016, 10:31   #19

Greetings,
Like to express my gratitude to all who contributed to my request.
Though I'm in a marina, I receive voice weather(some times very noisy & weak) and consistently.
I got my first fax!!!!! Not exactly readable but enough to tell what it was...
I used jvccomm32 with mixed results, get a better picture with seatty . To minimise noise I have recorded the transmission and then run to computer.
Connection to computer direct from radio is very noisy.
Maybe something I am missing, are there other apps that might work better?

John a million thanks to you and your great videos, very informative and simple to understand . I found series on DSC simple and easy to understand good to skip too much technical stuff, just the facts... DSC for dummies.
Hope to get a real radio in the near future(looking for simple and low cost) I have insulated stay up to mizen mast then to main mast, noise filters and proper ground,think I just need radio and ant tunner. I have clipped onto this but no better results than a wire up a halyard.

Again many thanks to all of you.

Regards,
Mario
mario f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 12:31   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Noise:

- One trick: do the radiofax thing while the laptop computer is on the battery AND disconnect the laptop from the mains/inverter.

Explanation: laptop power bricks and boat inverters can add heaps of noise.

I always do the radiofax exercise with our netbook on the battery.

- Another trick: switch all boat LED lights off.

Explanation as above.

- Yet another trick: if your laptop's / tablet's audio card is too noisy on the sound in, try using a mic in place of the audio in cable.

Explanation: this may help but otherwise a noisy soundcard is just that and all you can do is try another tablet or laptop, equipped with another soundcard.

Bueno. Small things but they at times make for some improvement.

BTW I found good signal with plenty of noise no problem. The challenge was always signal not strong enough.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:45   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
Greetings,
Like to express my gratitude to all who contributed to my request.
Though I'm in a marina, I receive voice weather(some times very noisy & weak) and consistently.
I got my first fax!!!!! Not exactly readable but enough to tell what it was...
I used jvccomm32 with mixed results, get a better picture with seatty . To minimise noise I have recorded the transmission and then run to computer.
Connection to computer direct from radio is very noisy.
Maybe something I am missing, are there other apps that might work better?

John a million thanks to you and your great videos, very informative and simple to understand . I found series on DSC simple and easy to understand good to skip too much technical stuff, just the facts... DSC for dummies.
Hope to get a real radio in the near future(looking for simple and low cost) I have insulated stay up to mizen mast then to main mast, noise filters and proper ground,think I just need radio and ant tunner. I have clipped onto this but no better results than a wire up a halyard.

Again many thanks to all of you.

Regards,
Mario
I have a TECSUN and have found it virtually worthless in any sort of urban/suburban area or signal crowded area. Away from shore or sprawl it's a different story entirely. Also, the position of the antenna, and using an external antenna, can make a huge difference. The fact that you're getting intelligible transmissions in your current location should be highly encouraging.

I've used BlackCat's HF Weather to render weatherfax maps, but I thinks it's mac-specific.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:53   #22

Thank you for your input suijin
With the help of the good people on this site I have done quite well.
I have received a very good ir sat image, I am surprised.
Still nothing real legible on sea state charts etc.
Will be pulling out Monday, as you said I hope to do better in open water.
For antenna I use 25ft wire up flag halyard and also clipped to insulated stay but noticed no difference.

Thank you again
Regards
Mario
mario f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather