Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 07:57   #16

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: HF Weather Fax iPhone/iPad app

Chuck, it will prob be easier to find an adapter that convers your 1/8" plug to 1/4". In fact, my irig came with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33   #17

Boat: Allied 39

Thanks for the reply. I have the iRig in my hand but as I asked in my earlier note from months ago I need a cable from the iRig to the radio. m802 uses a 1/8" plug and the iRig uses a 1/4" plug. I do not have an extra cable in hand and will need to purchase one. iRig plugs into the ipad .....

Regards

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-02-2018, 19:23   #18

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

As the cruising years have gone by I have concluded grib type weather files are convenient but frequently inaccurate. Especially when a front is approaching. So I have purchased HF Fax. I have been putting my IPAD near the Sideband while it is transmitting the WX Faxes but had limited success. I am using a older Kenwood TS 430S and a New IPAD. I see on the forum a fair bit of talk about a KV connection cable and some other cables. I would ordinarily go right to Amazon and click the buy button on the one that seems best. Problem is I am currently cruising in New Zealand. Shipping costs are prohibitive. So I wonder if somebody has any idea how I could come by a cable here in NZ or if there is a better app. or any suggestions at all. Cheers
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 22:20   #19

Philosophy try this out, its from Ali Express probably free shipping to NZ. I am headed back to my boat in Tauranga in March and I am going to buy one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Guit...ceBeautifyAB=0

Cheers

Gregory Evans
www.Oceannatheboat.com
grrr_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 14:10   #20

Boat: Roberts 38 offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Hey Don,
I have a SEA 322, do you know if I need the same cable as you? I am about to fly back to the boat (it in the Tuamotus) so I have no way of checking if there is an audio output on my 322. I am assuming you last sentence should read you "*didn't* have to make up a DB9 to 3.5mm cable."
By HFFaX app and as long as you have a good speaker you won't need any more
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 18:56   #21

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I got a second hand Sony ICF 7600 GR, borrowed an ipad and downloaded the $5 Blackcat app. I'm not very techy but I'm starting to figure it out. Here is from my home. I think I will get much better reception away from the city. You can see the Ak peninsula and BC in the first one and The second has Baja. Hawaii is in the lower left I don't think you can see it. There is so much to learn about how to read these maps etc. This is gonna be great. It's all I need. I just plug the ear bud into the radio and put it close to the ipad. I tried using a cable but this is working much better. I also tried it without the earbud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0790.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	234548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0786.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	234549  

JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 20:03   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I got a second hand Sony ICF 7600 GR, borrowed an ipad and downloaded the $5 Blackcat app. I'm not very techy but I'm starting to figure it out. Here is from my home. I think I will get much better reception away from the city. You can see the Ak peninsula and BC in the first one and The second has Baja. Hawaii is in the lower left I don't think you can see it. There is so much to learn about how to read these maps etc. This is gonna be great. It's all I need. I just plug the ear bud into the radio and put it close to the ipad. I tried using a cable but this is working much better. I also tried it without the earbud

Very cool. Which frequencies are you tuning in to?
Old 14-03-2021, 20:48   #23

So far I'm only getting 4346 out of Pt Reyes. I just learning how to tune it in . I have the Sangean external antenna . I tried it at the boat in Ventura Marina yesterday it came in really clear but still only 4346
Old 15-03-2021, 07:15   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
So far I'm only getting 4346 out of Pt Reyes. I just learning how to tune it in . I have the Sangean external antenna . I tried it at the boat in Ventura Marina yesterday it came in really clear but still only 4346
Thanks . You've inspired me to give it a try. What else have I got to do in these lockdown times . Not sure if my little Tecsun will pick things up from my landlocked location, but I'll see if I can follow your lead.
Old 15-03-2021, 07:53   #25

let me know if you learn anything. they recommend the Tecsun and the Sony. All the broadcast stations and schedules are on the app.
Old 18-04-2021, 21:51   #26

There is so much to learn about reading these charts. I've attached the chart of NE Pacific today. Is that really 90kt winds coming off those lows between Hawaii and Kodiak. They seem to be there every week. One after the other. I see 90kt on this chart but last week there was 110. I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I was hoping to make the trip form Hawaii to Kodiak next May or June. I hope it gets better.
Attached Files
File Type: doc NE Pacifric weather chart.doc (109.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 19-04-2021, 08:25   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
There is so much to learn about reading these charts. I've attached the chart of NE Pacific today. Is that really 90kt winds coming off those lows between Hawaii and Kodiak. They seem to be there every week. One after the other. I see 90kt on this chart but last week there was 110. I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I was hoping to make the trip form Hawaii to Kodiak next May or June. I hope it gets better.
That's the 500mb chart (about 5600m height), NOT the surface. Not 90kn on surface.

see:
http://oceanweatherservices.com/feat...b_chart_at_sea

(at bottom of example is the wind/wave forecast at surface....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 08:46   #28

Oh I see. 40 - 50 kt and what is the wave height? About 15' or is that meters. I'm trying to study the guide but it's not that easy to understand. I wish I could take a coarse on this, but not online.
Old 19-04-2021, 09:35   #29

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Oh I see. 40 - 50 kt and what is the wave height? About 15' or is that meters. I'm trying to study the guide but it's not that easy to understand. I wish I could take a coarse on this, but not online.
The title (in the box) indicates units; in this case, wave height is in metre(meters), the norm worldwide.

Ocean Prediction Center had a good intro to reading weatherfaxes. Link seems to have changed. Here is a working link to a pdf version:

https://www.starpath.com/downloads/O..._map_guide.pdf
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather