Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 13:53   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: HF SSB your thoughts please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Buying these things in a dark alley (ebay or CL) is risky business. You don't know if it is stolen,.....

Just saying.
Just deal with these people then.... new 718 .. $599
Icom IC-718, Icom 718 Amateur Transceiver
Old 02-10-2016, 14:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Icom won't support a 718 or a 725. I found a tech on the west coast that works on them, and sent this one to him for hoped-for repair while I bought a second one from one of the internet ham shops. The problem was my ignorance, not anything in the radio. He bench tested it and sent it back, where it sits in its shipping box. I could drag up his name if someone needs it.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 14:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
...My interest is mainly to receive but nice to transmit in emergency...
A SSB having DSC would be a good feature for emergency use.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 14:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
Sorry - this is total bs ....

Carsten
Actually it is very correct. Ham radios, compared to a marine rated and certified HF radio put out a much dirtier signal. If you do a search on previous discussions on this issue you may find a very detailed, technical analysis by ka4wja of the output of the best ham radios vs marine rated HF/SSB. They do not compare.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 14:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Icom won't support a 718 or a 725. I found a tech on the west coast that works on them, and sent this one to him for hoped-for repair while I bought a second one from one of the internet ham shops. The problem was my ignorance, not anything in the radio. He bench tested it and sent it back, where it sits in its shipping box. I could drag up his name if someone needs it.
?????? I can understand not supporting the 725 which has been out of production since whenever but the 718 which is still being sold new ????
Old 02-10-2016, 14:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Actually it is very correct. Ham radios, compared to a marine rated and certified HF radio put out a much dirtier signal. If you do a search on previous discussions on this issue you may find a very detailed, technical analysis by ka4wja of the output of the best ham radios vs marine rated HF/SSB. They do not compare.
Just buy a second hand 710 then....... problem solved..
Old 02-10-2016, 14:46   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

First, it's not hard to pass the Ham General or even extra license. Spent the better part of a day taking practice exams on one of the many on line 'prep' sites. Granted had taken the technician test which I'd studied a Gordon West exam prep book for. Probably could have passed the Extra exam as the test correctors seemed surprised that I didn't opt to take it after passing the General exam.

Bought my ICOM 718 opened up off eBay for $400.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 15:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I bought an M700 Pro. No problem.
Old 02-10-2016, 15:15   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'm sorry. The 718 is still supported. $726 on Amazon.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 15:49   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Carsten, I got slammed on this forum for just this when I proposed using an opened ham HF about a year ago. It was complete with spectrographs of ham and marine SSB signals and how messy the ham signal was, and angry people saying basically "How dare you!" I'd love to have you proven right, since I have an opened Icom 725, but argue the point with them, not me.
Lots of cruisers have purchased and used Ham radios on marine HF bands. The world has not ended, the ionosphere didn't catch on fire. If you buy a really good Ham radio my non technical guess is the impact won't be huge.

However, using ham radios on marine bands will certainly cause some interference to others on the band. Using a marine certified radio is just showing a little consideration for others on the air, like a radio version of cruisers leaving a clean wake.
Old 02-10-2016, 16:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Banging your head against a brick wall with some of the folks "experts" here; they believe everything they write about the 802! It is a good rig, but 90% of people doing the miles who actually use SSB are not using an 802 but one of the sets you have suggested!! I rest your honour.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 16:13   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Banging your head against a brick wall with some of the folks "experts" here; they believe everything they write about the 802! It is a good rig, but 90% of people doing the miles who actually use SSB are not using an 802 but one of the sets you have suggested!! I rest your honour.
I have seen people use a wrench to drive a nail. Works just fine but doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

I don't have an 802 but wouldn't mind owning one if I had the cash. Maybe you could save me some money by explaining what is written about the 802 that is incorrect.
Old 02-10-2016, 16:22   #28

I installed a Furuno 1502 w/ tuner and isolated backstay antenna. I added copper sheet counterpoise and used the rig when I was to and from and in the Caribbean daily. It was handy. Haven't used it in years and so it collects dust which has to be cleaned. I used to log onto Her SouthBoundII 1253A, NOAA and so forth. I was help in an offshore rescue with Herb using the SSC... so I suppose it saved a few lives... not mine however!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 16:25   #29

Lets try and stay on track with the OP shall we....
'Greetings to all,
Thinking of installing a radio to get weather reports thru the west carib.
Looking at the Xiegu X108 Transceiver. My interest is mainly to receive but nice to transmit in emergency.
Not interested in mega bucks installation of mega hf system.
Just looking for economical reliable way to receive weather info.

HF on the cheap?
Your thoughts and opinions please.'

I'm sure 802's are brilliant but that is not what the OP is looking for.

Moving right along... lots of ham radios being used on lots of marine band nets around the world on a daily basis without bothering anyone.

Back to the OP... cheapest way to just get wx is a Tecsun 880 or similar.
Old 02-10-2016, 20:04   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A lot of commercial fishermen used to use Drake ham radios in the NE instead of marine radios. Of course Drake was building those for government use (embassies, etc.) so they weren't quite ordinary commodity grade. But even then, you could tell from the audio quality who was using a marine radio, and who was using a ham radio.

A Jeep and a McLaren are both cars, they'll both get you cross town, that doesn't mean you should pick one at random though.

Sometimes a ham radio is discontinued because of parts issues. Like Icom's venerable 706, where the final output transistors were equally venerable, andwhen they were discontinued by their maker...bye bye. Then when Icom found a workaround with a new finals board and a different part, for a while, there was an extension. Bye bye.

Sometimes it is just volume, each product has a price/performance niche, if one doesn't sell...

But again, coming back to the OP's wants. A ham radio requires TUNING to FREQUENCIES and all sort of complicated buttons for sideband select, offset, modes...Where a marine VHF has simple CHANNELS like a tv set. Pick a channel, call. No buttons to get flummoxed with. And, that handy DSC function may be available on a new one. In an emergency? When you may have to tell someone else "Go down below and call for help" which radio is more likely to be easy for them?
I'd say the marine radio. Not as flexible, but way fewer complications are possible. And a reputable commercial vendor should be able to supply a clean used one, too. With a guarantee.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, ssb