Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 15:52   #1

Help with WL2K Airmail routing

Hi, This is driving me nuts. WL2K Airmail has a built-in POP/SMTP email server that allows local or remote email client programs (such as iPad, Thunderbird, Outlook,...) to send and receive email through the WL2K Airmail server. This is a great feature and I'm trying to extend for multiple laptops, ipads, etc. What ends up happening is multiple routing rules are applied to the emails and they get routed and copied through the Transit folder multiple times and the "Via" gets confused.

To confirm this works, looking at "sent2.png", the normal "Via" is WL2K. Her's an email composed on the iPad and sent to the Airmail SMTP server and properly routed. This works perfectly.

From this email, Airmail created the local POP user "don", e.g., server-settings.png. Also, Airmail added two more routing rules, e.g., default-routing.png. The two new rules are:

SMTP.Local Email WL2K
<any> don don

Now, when I connect a laptop running Outlook 2013, with a different user, "don-desktop-outlook", the email is stored to Transit folder with the "Via" set to "don-ipad2", then it is routed again to "don-desktop-outlook" and again to "?". Note, in experimenting, I changed the iPad's login from don to don-ipad2 -- doesn't affect this behavior.

An additional routing rule is created,

SMTP.Local Email WL2K
<any> don-ipad2 don-ipad2
<any> don-desktop-outlook don-desktop-outlook

And as expected, the two server POP email accounts, don-ipad2 and don-desktop-outlook.

Anyway, I believe incoming email is being routed by the two <any> rules and creating the two additional copies of the email and loosing the "Via", set to '?" which should be WL2K. What I want is an email sent from both the iPad and laptop to properly post 1 email to the Transit folder with "Via" set to WL2K.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? For reference, I'm running Airmail v 3.5.036, Windows 7 laptop. Same behavior with v3.5.041 and on Windows 10 laptop.

Thank you,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	server-settings.png
Views:	80
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	155056   Click image for larger version

Name:	default-routing.png
Views:	99
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	155057  

Name:	unknown1.png
Views:	87
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	155058   Click image for larger version

Name:	sent2.png
Views:	84
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	155059  

Name:	outlook-3sets.png
Views:	92
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	155060  
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 19:46   #2

Re: Help with WL2K Airmail routing

If anyone's interested, I figured it out. There are two things going on,

1) Because "Copy all INCOMING to local POP users" was selected, all incoming messages, even if being sent from a remote client, are copied to every remote user. That's why I am getting a set of "Posted" messages via each remote client. Once the remote client connects, there are copied to their inbox.

2) I didn't have an SMTP routing rule for each remote client. That's why the entry marked with "?" wasn't going to WL2K. To correct this, I added,

SMTP.don-laptop, Email, WL2K entry for each remote client (e.g., don-laptop).

This now works with remote laptop SMTP connections and the local connection.

The only surprise is the copy of a sent remote message copied to all remote clients. This is fine, but really confused me when trying to setup. If you deselect "Copy all INCOMING messages", then these copies are not created. The other odd thing is the iPad as a remote client worked regardless of the settings.

Now on to configuring with my laptop, netbook, iPad.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote