Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2010, 10:57   #1

Help with Putting MaxSea Info onto PC

Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone out there can help, but I have been given some waypoints from a friends Maxsea software. He has put it on an external hard drive for me, but I can't find the right programme to open the file on my PC.

Any Ideas?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
savvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 11:56   #2
cruiser

What format is the file he gave you? Can you have him export from MaxSea in GPX format?
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 00:23   #3

Thank you for your reply!

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a complete computer novice

Is there anyway I can email this file to someone so they can have a look how to open it?
Old 26-05-2010, 02:46   #4

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Hi Savvas,
look at the file name and tell us what the end three letters are (after the dot). This will tell us what format your file is saved in and then people will be able to help..

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 23:53   #5

its WinRAR archive file but i dont know the right program to open it
Old 27-05-2010, 08:09   #6

WinRAR can be downloaded free from here. WinRar | Download WinRar | Get Free New WinRar
Use this to unpack the archive so that you can see what it contains.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:03   #7

Hi guys,

I have unzipped the file using WinRar, but then when I try and open it using Microsoft Office its just nonsense! If I go to the file poperties there is no file name, it just says 'File'.

Do you think I need the actual Maxsea programme on my computer to be able to open it? Or anyone know of an alternative programme I could perhaps download that would work.....

Thanks!
Old 28-05-2010, 06:26   #8

Maxsea is not open source. It would not surprise me if their data is stored in a proprietary format, only usable by the Maxsea program (in fact, it would surprise me if it was NOT). Like Active Captain suggested, I think you need to find out if it is possible to export Maxsea data in some sort of standard format.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 06:59   #9
cruiser

If it's MaxSea Time Zero, they support many different export formats. I've found MaxSea to be among the easiest program to export data from. They do have their own format though because they keep additional features about a route that isn't supported in standard formats like GPX. Their native format is really for backup up data or transferring to another MaxSea installation. Still, there are other formats that the data can be saved in.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxsea