Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2022, 09:28   #1

Help with onboard data network

Greetings, just bought a Hanse 470 with a mix of unique tech/networking and I am trying to figure out what all this stuff means. i image below is visible on this post.

My goal is to get as close to a functioning NMEA 2000 backbone without having to replace the 1083 based autopilot this year.

As i hope you can see, there is a Rasberry and a wifi router connected as hubs.
It also has a GPS puck. I think the wifi router may have been used to connect to an eternal Unbutu box running CPN.

Any help on what all this stuff is doing and how to increntally relace this would be of great help. Thanks....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freyja Data Network NMEA.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	257394  
Stujac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 00:47   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Help with onboard data network

A lot of views, but no replies. So I'll have a crack and see if that generates some more suggestions from the brains trust.

"Any help on what all this stuff is doing"

• Raspberry PI kplex : Acting as a network server for data in NMEA 0813 format, then passing thru to Ethernet.
• Ubunti Navagation station using OpenCPN : A Chartplotter & Navigational aid using a notebook or laptop to display
B&G Zeus2 T12: Your Multifunction Display, has built in GPS antenna
B&G 4G Radar: uses the Ethernet connection and the network router to communicate to the MDF
• Standard Horizon Radio with AIS: Depending on the model probably using the NMEA 0183 to obtain the GPS position information for AIS transmission and Lat/Long on display
Raymarine Autopilot ST6000+: Using NMEA 0813 for communication to the MDF and GPS puck , via the NK-80 to the fluxgate. ( Not convinced this is real - Fluxgate is probably on the NMEA 0183 network if original equipment)
• AMEC NK-80: NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 gateway adapter.
• GPS puck: Using NMEA 0813 for communication to the MDF and Standard Horizon Radio
Simrad Depth: Using NEMA 2000 for communication to the MDF
Simrad Wind: Using NEMA 2000 for communication to the MDF
• Fluxgate compass: Using NEMA 2000 and then via NK-80 using NMEA 0813 for communication to the Raymarine Autopilot ST600+ . (Are you sure this is on the NEMA 2000 network? I would suspect it really is connected directly to the Raymarine Autopilot ST600+ via NEMA 0183 network if original equipment. However if updated it could be on the NMEA 2000 network.)

The above network would (does?) work as you have laid out. Not sure why you want / need to go totally NMEA 2000, as many vessels run with both NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000, and newer vessels are going Ethernet, so the PO has you well on the way.

The Raymarine Autopilot ST6000+ uses the old Raymarine Seatalk (NMEA 0183) to communicate. As you have mentioned, unless the unit is not working OR you want to spend some serious coin for no reason, then keep the NMEA 0183 network for that.

As the B&G 4G Radar only uses the Ethernet connection for communication, you need to have some form of Ethernet Network.

The B&G Zeus2 T12 works as wired to the NMEA 2000 for Wind and Depth, and Ethernet to obtain the B&G 4G Radar information.

"incremental changes"

1) If you are not intending to use the Ubuntu Nav via OpenCPN, then just disconnect and remove?

2) Check / investigate /rework the NMEA 0183 network so the Fluxgate compass is on the NMEA 0183, such that its talking to the Raymarine Autopilot ST6000+ directly if possible, otherwise leave on the NMEA 2000.

3) If you don't want the Raspberry PI then you can:

A) rework the cabling and install a standard (dumb) commercial connection hub on the NMEA 0183 network, and end up with:
• The Standard Horizon Radio
• The Raymarine ST6000+ Autopilot
• The Raymarine FluxGate
• The GPS puck

Then use the AMEC NK-80 to transmit all this NMEA 0183 information to the NMEA 2000 backbone.

B) Or you could just change the Raspberry Pi to a commercial product. Perhaps a Yacht Devices will get you there in one product.
https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_0183_router.html

4) Leave the Network switch with the B&G 4G Radar and B&G Zeus2 T12 connected. The B &G Zeus2 T12 can act as a bridge from the NEMA 2000, so you can use a tablet etc. via the Wi Fi to see all the navigational functions anywhere in the vessel
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:42   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Personally I looked at every usage of 0183 and wherever I could I removed it in favour of n2k, the most recent was the install of the standard horizon 1850 vhf radio which has n2k this eliminated the previous 0183 link from the old radio.

There are now no 0183 on my boat.

On thing not shown in your schematic is an ais transponder, a receive only AIS omits the most useful safety part.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:55   #4
Nearly an old salt

By the way I know kplex will multiplex out into tcp etc. But will it multiplex data back out on a NMEA 0183 port

In the diagram the ST6001 will require both an NMEA 0183 in and a second NMEA 0183 out port. This is to allow the autopilot to report cross track etc but also get nmea compass and wind information.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:01   #5
Nearly an old salt

Also to my understanding the ray marine course computer ( 150 or 400) will not accept compass data via a network feed as it expects the compass to be directly connected

( the diagram omits the course computer )

As a general comment I would not be happy with a Pi as a central component of my data network. If you loose this device you effectively disable large parts of the functionality
Old 11-05-2022, 08:06   #6

I'm with OldGreyB. It looks like a good setup. If it's doing what you want right now there is no need to replace anything. As you find a need to replace or upgrade devices look for ones that support N2K and integrate them into the existing network.

The only thing I would add is an AIS tranceiver. It's nice that you can see the other guys but it is just as important that they see you.

Getting to a single N2K network is a good goal but I'd let natural attrition set the pace on what gets replaced.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 17:03   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Great to see some valid discussion on this with good points raised. There are certainly options that could make this a more robust network, mainly NMEA 2000 at a not substantial cost. But for completeness how about "we" answer the OP's original question how to incrementally replace this to NMEA 2000

My suggestion to that direct question would be:
• Extend your existing NMEA network with industry standard T connections, main network cables to allow for all replacement equipment to connect.
• Change GPS puck to NMEA 2000 compatible and attach to NEMA 2000 Network
• Change VHF radio to NMEA 2000 compatible and attach to NEMA 2000 Network
• Install NMEA 2000 compatible AIS transceiver & Antenna and attach to NEMA 2000 Network
• Leave Raymarine ST6000+ AutoPilot head and course computer communication currently NMEA 0183. Use the AMEC NK-80 converter at this time to communicate to NMEA 2000 -as per OP request
• Remove Raspberry Pi
• Direct connect B&B 3G radar to Zeus2 T12 via (probable existing) RI10 interface box and Ethernet cables.
• Connect B&B 3G radar RI10 interface box to NMEA 2000 network for heading information
• Remove Wi Fi Router
• Remove existing ST6000+ Autopilot package and install a completely new NMEA 2000 compatible Autopilot package and connect to NMEA 2000 Network
• Done.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:05   #8

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujac View Post
Greetings, just bought a Hanse 470 with a mix of unique tech/networking and I am trying to figure out what all this stuff means. i image below is visible on this post.

My goal is to get as close to a functioning NMEA 2000 backbone without having to replace the 1083 based autopilot this year.

As i hope you can see, there is a Rasberry and a wifi router connected as hubs.
It also has a GPS puck. I think the wifi router may have been used to connect to an eternal Unbutu box running CPN.

Any help on what all this stuff is doing and how to increntally relace this would be of great help. Thanks....
As we say in my country: This installation is an "octopus".

There are enthusiasts of this type of configuration, but I agree with what goboatingnow says: Nor do I think it is advisable to subordinate the reliability of an entire installation to the operation of a raspberry loaded with a bunch of USB/NMEA0183 converters and, if it were bit, also with an ethernet+wifi switch.

Three communication standards coexist in this installation: Seatalk (autopilot), NMEA2000 (Simrad simnet) and NMEA0183 (Radio + OpenCPN). This is actually very common.
You have a B&G radome. The image can be viewed on OpenCPN using an Ethernet connection.

I advise you to simplify with as little investment as possible. You can then add devices as needed. At the moment I only advise you to add an AIS (transponder) to this system thus using their internal GPS.

I'm sure I would solve the whole problem in one go using an Ocenav gateway. This device has all three standards and would distribute all the data automatically, there is no need to configure anything. That would allow you to:
- Remove ALL the USB converters, the NK-80, the Raspberry, the Switch/Router and the USB GPS.
- Connect the pilot directly to this gateway (Seatalk).
- Connect the radio directly to this gateway (NMEA0183).
- Connect the Simnet network directly to this gateway (N2k).
- Connect Nav Station (PC) to the WiFi of this gateway.

And you would have to change the ethernet connection from the switch to the ethernet connector of the PC.

It is likely that removing all the devices that I have told you, you can fit a few more beers on your boat...
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work