Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 14:13   #1

Help: Raymarine Axiom / NMEA 2000 / send GPS data to VHF

Hi, seeking any help. I have a Raymarine Axiom 7 chartplotter. I am trying to get GPS data to my Standard Horizon GX1850 VHF that does not have an internal GPS. I can't get it to work.

The VHF supports NMEA 2000 and has a 5 pin plug.

The Axiom has a network output on it's power cable that is for a drop cable to a network. Weirdly, though Raymarine pushes it's Seatalk NG and associated cable, the plug on the Axiom is not a Seatalk connector, it is an NMEA 2000 5 pin plug. My understanding is Seatalk NG is identical to NMEA 2000 for this purpose, except for the proprietary cables, but this may be wrong. I thought I could put in a new NMEA 2000 backbone and be good to go. Not.

Here is what I installed:

Axiom > NMEA2K drop cable > NMEA2K 2-port spur
VHF > NMEA2K drop cable > NMEA2K 2-port spur
NMEA2K 2-port spur > NMEA2K power doohicky
NMEA2K power doohicky > 12V power
NMEA2K terminators at both ends

Nothing.

On the VHF in it's setup screen for NMEA2K it does not see the Axiom on the network. It also has settings for 0183.

On the Axiom I can find no setup screen or options or squat for configuration so I can't tell if it sees the network. Raymarine's documentation sucks a$$ and their web presence is all about selling their own cables and converters.

I can't tell if the network is alive, because as far as I can tell the only way is to see if these devices see each other. There is no way to see if either of them individually can see the network. I can't figure out if the network is dead or not receiving power or if either device is at fault.

Any ideas appreciated.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 20:57   #2

Re: Help: Raymarine Axiom / NMEA 2000 / send GPS data to VHF

the axiom is nmea 2000. raymarine is moving away from seatalkng. but yes it was the same thing with a different plug.

I don't know how you have 3 cables (power, vhf, and plotter) into a 2 port spur...

but anwways.

somewhere in the axiom you should be able to bring up a list of the nmea2000 devices. and you'll know if the vhf is seen or not.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 03:42   #3

Thanks. I used one of these kits which has a 2 port spur and a power.

I can’t find in axiom where to look up nmea 2000 devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-...074KHXXMF?th=1
Old 17-07-2020, 22:58   #4

settings - network
Old 18-07-2020, 00:42   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It is a bug in the radio firmware. Standard Horizon support is clueless and claims it is normal. I am really disappointed with their support, they should be ashamed of themselves.

The workaround is to first switch on the radio, then switch on the device with GPS.

You have to scan NMEA2000 many, many times and each time only a handful of different devices come up. When you see the GPS you select that. My main gps (Maretron GP200) has never showed up so I’m using the one in the plotter.

SH refused to switch the radio for the one with GPS built in. My options are to buy it or maybe to use a converter to nmea0183. I still think this is a very good radio and the mk4 RAM mike remote is great as well. I also found other models with n2k port have the same trouble.

When you get SH support escalated to the manager (Juan) tell him you need this fixed just like me. Save all the emails just like I did

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 03:34   #6

Wow. Thank you. I am relieved it is something like this and not me. I will try that today. I will also contact their support. I have been kicking myself for not buying the one with the integral GPS. But the radio is mounted inside and I didn’t thing the GPS would work well without another antenna.
Old 21-07-2020, 07:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the axiom is nmea 2000. raymarine is moving away from seatalkng. but yes it was the same thing with a different plug.
The Axiom and Element CPs have a DeviceNet connector on the back, so a drop cable is required to connect to a SeatalkNG spur.

What makes you think RM are moving away from SeatalkNG?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 23:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Axiom and Element CPs have a DeviceNet connector on the back, so a drop cable is required to connect to a SeatalkNG spur.

What makes you think RM are moving away from SeatalkNG?
you answered your own question by saying the new screens use device net ends instead of stng.
Old 23-07-2020, 11:48   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
you answered your own question by saying the new screens use device net ends instead of stng.
They have always done this haven't they? The earlier E97 series also had a DeviceNet connection to connect to SeatalkNG, so nothing new.

Can't remember seeing anything in print from RM to this effect either. Do you have a link or is this just supposition?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 20:43   #10

axiom is the first device net ray marine screen.

Tags
gps, marine, nmea, nmea 2000, raymarine, vhf