Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 10:05   #1

help me! dead depth display?

Hi all.

Currently on a sailboat in the Bahamas so very limited internet and even less purchasing options ... So, on my boat there is an ancient in hull depth transducer ( Standard Communications Corp? ..) . This has and assumably still is working. However, it is attached to an equally ancient display

The display has gone bad. If I give it power it immediately burns out the in line fuse or trips a breaker on the instrument panel. So inside it must have some kind of short? The transducer is a 200KHz model, 600 ohm/ 1500 pF parallel impedance) ... So, what should I do. If I buy a new display will it work with the old transducer? Any ideas? I do have relatives coming here in a few weeks so they may be able to bring stuff on the plane but impossible to get anything here (Exuma Islands). Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.02.22 PM.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	253707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.02.35 PM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	253708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.03.15 PM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	253709  
edhuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:30   #2

Re: help me! dead depth display?

Options are:
  1. Repair display unit. Requires the schematic and electronic experience, or a close repair shop who'd do it. But repair is probably more expensive than a new unit.
  2. Try a different display unit that works with a 200 kHz transducer. Ideally, borrow one first; it would be risky to buy one before trying with your transducer
  3. Replace transducer and display. Might require haulout.
  4. Buy a fishfinder which gives you a transducer and display for like $150. Stick its transducer wherever you can. Depending on your hull, you might be able to just shoot through the hull.
When our Raymarine ST60 depth instrument died after 7 years of light use (), I just bought a Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder. It doesn't have the big fat numerals of a more upscale display, but it's been quite useful for us.

Fishfinder would be the fastest solution, and you can opt to fix/replace the main depth instrument at the next haulout. Then put the fishfinder on your dinghy.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:35   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

If it were mine, I would:
1. Change the fuse and run with the transponder/transceiver unplugged. If it stays running but errors out the sensor portion could be dead or there is a direct short in the cabling display to sensor

2. Turn off power and open the display unit and look for blown caps, bridged conductors on the circuit board, etc. Check all cabling for wear/shorts

3. Plan on a more modern replacement

Do you have any backup, like an old fish finder?

PS Just saw Lake Effects post, ditto on most of that too. I also use a low end Garmin Fish Finder/GPS.
Old 27-02-2022, 10:40   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhuckle View Post
Hi all.

Currently on a sailboat in the Bahamas so very limited internet and even less purchasing options ... So, on my boat there is an ancient in hull depth transducer ( Standard Communications Corp? ..) . This has and assumably still is working. However, it is attached to an equally ancient display

The display has gone bad. If I give it power it immediately burns out the in line fuse or trips a breaker on the instrument panel. So inside it must have some kind of short? The transducer is a 200KHz model, 600 ohm/ 1500 pF parallel impedance) ... So, what should I do. If I buy a new display will it work with the old transducer? Any ideas? I do have relatives coming here in a few weeks so they may be able to bring stuff on the plane but impossible to get anything here (Exuma Islands). Thanks in advance.
Your safest bet will be to buy a new depth sounder with a transducer.

Since your existing transducer connects to the display with a RCA plug it might work with a new display if the display has a similar connection point, but if it doesn't then you will be stuck until a new transducer can be obtained. So get a new one with a transducer.

A new, very simple, depth sounder with transducer , will cost you less than $300.

Since your existing transducer shoots through the hull presumably a new one will also shoot through the hull, so any transducer with a flat bottom surface will work. You can glue it to a clean place on the bottom with silicon (careful, no bubbles).

Good luck.
Old 27-02-2022, 10:52   #5

I had no luck looking for a manual for that unit (datamarine kodiak 2650), and it seems to date from the late 70s.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:58   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If you were closer to a source of new unit,I would recommend getting a new depth display and matching in hull ducer.They are simple to install.
Since you say you are geographically stranded.I will offer some patch suggestions.
Open the display and have a look and sniff near the power in wires. There is often a diode installed across the + & - terminals. The diode is there to make a short & blow the 12V supply fuse-IF the 12V gets hooked up backwards.
If you see/smell a charred diode,it needs to be cut free & discarded.
If the above works out,do not hook up the 12V to the display until you verify with a meter that the plus wire is really +12V and the neg.wire is "ground".
Once you get the diode & polarity sorted,you can re-conn. 12V without replacing the diode-it can be replaced later if you wish.The only danger to not replacing it is if power gets rev'd in future,it will destroy the DF electronics permanently.

The pic shows 2 ducers: 1 bronze? thru hull
and 1 black plastic inside mounted ducer.
The paper says Standard Horizon DST 55 ducer,which,if you google-you will find looks like your black plastic inside mount one.
Also,the paper says 200 KZ,which is a very common frequency & should work OK with a more modern inexpensive depth only 200KZ depthfinder.

However,if you have to buy a new depthfinder,I strongly recommend you buy the new ducer that goes with it.

Hope this helps. Cheers/ Len
Old 28-02-2022, 06:14   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

It’s the same Datamarine that I had about 1980. I vaguely remember replacing that reverse-polarity-protection diode. There was also a big electrolytic filter capacitor across the 12v input. They can get old and short out.

Those old units worked well. They’re built with mostly old-style, simple parts that can be easily sourced and replaced. You don’t need fancy multi-thousand-dollar soldering stations and microscopes to fix them. I remember having the schematic for that unit, so it was available. It’s relatively easy to fix them, but if you have to pay someone else to do it, their time is worth more than the unit.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:06   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
When our Raymarine ST60 depth instrument died after 7 years of light use, I just bought a Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder. It doesn't have the big fat numerals of a more upscale display, but it's been quite useful for us.
An excellent suggestion. You can get a Garmin Stryker 4 with CHIRP transducer included for under $200. If shipping is not possible, have your anticipated guests bring it. As others have noted, transducer installation inside the hull should be easy and performance will be a light years improvement over your old setup.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:20   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

Datamarine repair is available, one on the east coast and one north of Seattle. They don't make anything anymore.

I have Datamarine on my boat but a little newer than yours. Considering the high cost of repair and it's age you are better off buying new. They usually come with a transducer and both should be replaced. Some manufacturers have transducer options so they have to be bought separately.

Get your relatives to bring you one.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:22   #10

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

IMHO it is way past time to buy a new depth sounder - how keen are you to wander around the Bahamas - or anywhere else - with a depth sounder you can't trust ???

I just googled chandlery in Nassau & found this firm :

Call Today: 242.393.5285
info@lightbournemarine.com
Welcome to Lightbourne Marine
Family Owned and Operated for 39 Years.
Lightbourne Marine is the Bahamas' most experienced and comprehensive marine supply resource.

Whether you are a fishing and boating enthusiast or a friend of one, the minute you walk through our doors you'll know you've come to the right place. We are dedicated to making your shopping experience a happy one.

We sell the highest quality brands with the names you trust to outfit and maintain your boat.

Need something you can't find? Special orders are no problem!

We offer free delivery to the mail boats daily for our Family Island customers.

Hope that helps?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:47   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Gees, I must be getting tired. I thought you wrote "dead death display"

Cheers
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:48   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Deep six it and buy a new unit.
What you want and what you are willing to spend? A unit for about $150 will tell you where the bottom is.
As someone previously mentioned, you can probably silicon the transducer down inside the hull.
What you have, appears to be an antique.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 16:53   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Maybe inspect up to the unit, the power supply line.
No visible issues, short to ground.
Wire in sound shape? To the unit, no nicks in the wiring.
Replace the whole thing if it's old. OR...
Look forever for compatable parts, used junk.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 17:31   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I had no luck looking for a manual for that unit (datamarine kodiak 2650), and it seems to date from the late 70s.

You Want That?
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 18:03   #15

Boat: Norseman 447

It’s an antique. A new, functionally equivalent one is not very expensive. If you don’t know anything about electronics and have to pay somebody to fix it, it’s probably not worth it. But, if it blows fuses or breakers right away, it isn’t a subtle problem. Some internal component, electrically close to the power input is shorted. If I remember from 1980-something, the three most likely are the reverse-polarity-protection diode, the 500-1000 uF electrolytic capacitor used to filter the input voltage or the series regulating transistor which provided a regulated 5-6v for most of the electronics. If you don’t understand what I’m talking about, it’s time for a new unit.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth