Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2022, 14:07   #1

Help connecting 2 units to a AIS receiver (NMEA0813)

Hi everyone, first time posting here and hopefully someone might be able to help me.

I have reached out to all 3 manufacturers of the units I have, including emailing some marine electricians I found online, all with little or no help.

I have what I think is a complicated system and I'm hoping you might be able to help me get connected.

The 3 devices I have;

Garmin Echomap plus 74CV (single port)

Standard Horizon GX2000 (AIS ready radio)

Digital Yacht AIS100 (works in parallel)

I’ve got myself pretty confused on how I can connect my 2 units, the chartplotter and radio to my AIS receiver. Digital Yacht said their receiver works in parallel and this is how it can be connected to my chartplotter and VHF radio.

I have run into roadblocks from Standard Horizon, Garmin, and Digital Yacht on how to connect my units, so I'm hoping you can help me with a simple diagram or writing out how I can connect my units. It has become very frustrating for me and because I boat and fish in a major shipping area here in Los Angeles, so the AIS is the most affordable option for me at this time.

I'm adding pictures below of each unit's manual installation diagram for reference in hopes you can help me in figuring out how to connect everything in parallel.

I’m also adding a diagram I made with my thoughts on how everything should be connected, but I have no idea if it is correct? Please look over and tell me what is wrong or if it’s all good.

Also note Standard Horizon’s radio can not send out any signals to the chart plotter, only receives.

Just to sum up, I’m looking to connect my radio and Garmin chart plotter to the Digital Yacht AIS100 unit. My VHF radio can display AIS information and my Garmin as well, I want to have redundancy with my units.
Thank you in advance!

Standard Horizon - GX2000

Garmin echomap plus 74CV

Digital Yacht- AIS100

My wire diagram? *** NOTE: The PINK wire on the GX2000 represents the WHITE wire from the radio.***

ja22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 15:35   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Help connecting 2 units to a AIS receiver (NMEA0813)

I'm not going to re-draw it for you but I think there are some errors in your diagram.

DATA
In the first place the GX2000 needs the AIS data (+) on its Brown wire and it needs to be 34.8k baud rate, which is the output of your AIS100 on orange. So, connect the AIS Orange to the GX2000 Brown.

Since you have only a single output from AIS100, then also connect the AIS Orange to The Garmin NMEA Input, which is also Brown. I do not know how to tell the Garmin that the input is 34.8 baud instead of 4800 baud, maybe it is automatic.

To feed output from the Garmin to the the radio connect the Garmin's output (Blue, +) to the GX2000 blue input (+) I think this sends GPS to the radio so it can calculate distance, etc

These connections are all parallel.

DATA GROUND
Connect the AIS100 NMEA negative (-), Brown, to the GX2000 Green, and the Garmin ground (black).

POWER

Connect all the 12v+ red wires to 12v+ with fuse or breaker.
Connect all the 12v - black wires to the 12v- negative (ground). Note that the Data Ground is also connected to the 12v- ground.

GPS Your GX2000 requires GPS which it normally gets from the chartplotter. This you provide over the Garmon Blue output which you have connected to the GX2000 blue input (above). Since your AIS100 is a receive-only unit, it does not have a GPS antenna or a connection to an external GPS. There is no input to the AIS100. If you had a transponder you'd need more GPS connections.

I have basically a similar set up and it works well for me.

BTW, the "parallel" in the AIS100 information simply means it has enough NMEA output power to supply multiple units through parallel connections.
Old 10-06-2022, 16:24   #3

Re: Help connecting 2 units to a AIS receiver (NMEA0813)

Thank you wingssail for this information, this is perfect and well laid out. This makes SO much more sense then what I have been getting. Each additional information I received, got me more confused and sent me deeper in a rabbit hole. Also the explanation you gave on parallel makes WAY more sense then what DY gave me.

As for changing my Garmin to baud 34.8, (default is 4800) that was done in the NMEA settings and listed as "HS".

Again thank you
ja22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, nmea