Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 04:28   #1

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Headset for radio comms between helm and anchor?

I have seen crew of a few boats around our size (13 m) using headsets for communication between the helm and the person working the anchoring gear at the bow.

Even though that distance is only around ten metres, the combined noise from the windlass, engine, strong wind, and bowthruster can make it difficult to to hear each other.

I realise there are literally thousands of radio headsets spanning the whole gamut from professional to cheap supermarket junk, and that virtually none of them are in any way marinised.

Does anyone have a recommendation - something that is sufficiently robust to last a season or two on the deck of a sailboat?
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 05:08   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Headset for radio comms between helm and anchor?

We use a pair of SENA SPH10s, and they work OK.

Newer SENA models might have advantages; not sure. I've seen threads about not being able to change the batteries in the model we have... but haven't had to address batteries yet, ourselves.

There are other brands; search "marriage saver headsets" for leads.

Full duplex frequency operation is a good thing; simplex or "push to talk" doesn't work as well.

-Chris
Old 24-09-2019, 06:03   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

A big +100 for the SENA bluetooth headsets. We bought an SPH10-10 and an Expand-02 on Amazon earlier this year and they have been absolutely wonderful. They work from helm to bow during anchoring, mooring and docking, from bow to anchor locker when raising the anchor and while they do pick up a bit of wind noise, you can still hear the other person talking.
It is so wonderful to be able to discuss (in a calm voice) what's going on without shouting or hand signals!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 06:10   #4

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We have the SENA headsets, they work well and they are easy to setup and use. We've had them for over a year and use them everytime we anchor, pickup a mooring, or come into a slip, they just work.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 06:54   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...um.com+headset
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 08:52   #6

This is a thread I started a few months back on this subject, it has a lot of useful information:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ie-214515.html
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 08:56   #7

Boat: Hunter 49

get a pair of SENA and be done with it. they truly are marriage savers and you’ll be the coolest pair when coming into an anchorage - you’ll never feel so calm lol
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 08:57   #8

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

It is very difficult for my wife to hear me at the helm when I am working the anchor at the bow.

We have developed a complicated and entertaining series of "butt signals" where I use my swinging butt movements to indicate the helm action requirements.

Please search You Tube for the complete series and don't be drinking milk at the time.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 09:16   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We bought the SENA "marriage saver" headsets but they didn't work for us.

We found the arrangement of how you put them over your ears feels like they're going to fall off, and are always trying to adjust them on our ears. This causes us to touch the center pad which turns them off. So at the critical moment one or both of them has been powered off and is useless.

I talked to someone at the SENA booth at the Seattle boat show and he said to call tech support they were very good, but honestly I think it's operator error.

This summer we used Cobra Marine handheld radio/walkie talkies and they work beautifully. My husband's at the bow and doesn't need 2 hands and I'm at the helm and do need 2 hands for the throttle and wheel, so I only transmit when it's important.

We were both surprised at how well it worked. Anybody want to buy some SENA headsets?
Old 24-09-2019, 09:29   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
It is very difficult for my wife to hear me at the helm when I am working the anchor at the bow.

We have developed a complicated and entertaining series of "butt signals" where I use my swinging butt movements to indicate the helm action requirements.

Please search You Tube for the complete series and don't be drinking milk at the time.

Links please! Can' find it easily.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 09:49   #11

You are talking about a distance of 30-odd feet. What is it that you need to communicate that is so complex that it cannot be done by pre-wireless means?
Anchoring? There are standard hand signals that have been in use for a couple of hundred years to initiate and to report each step in the evolution of anchoring. Coming alongside? Ditto. Singling up and slipping? Ditto. Reefing and shaking out sail? Ditto. Striking sail? ditto

MyBeloved and I work essentially in silence because each evolution has been practiced so each element of it, and the sequence in which the elements must be performed, is well known and practiced to the point of being second nature. We do, of course, speak to each other when we are both in the cockpit at the same time and therefore next to each other.

There are times when something goes pear shaped. The signal for "Belay! Secure and stand by!" is the time-honoured sign of the finger drawn across the throat by the person who has the con and who therefore has the right and the duty to make such a decision when s/he deems it necessary.

Messing with radio communications aboard a small boat seems to me to be merely a (dangerous) distraction from performing essential evolutions promptly and proficiently.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:08   #12

I use Eartec Ultralite wireless headsets and am completely satisfied. They are well-made and have performed flawlessly for me.

See: UltraLITE PG1
Frank999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:09   #13

Boat: Hake Seaward 46 RK

LR
Eartech single headset with boom mic is above expectations. Bluetooth set that pretty much keeps extraneous noise down and allows low conversational voice so you dont stress the SO out. Wouldnt consider any other form of communication since these.
free
freecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:35   #14

Boat: '97 Island Packet 350

Hi! I have a question for you. Headsets are on my "list" & I am just learning about them. So, do you have one of each of these 2 models or 2 pairs? "We bought an SPH10-10 and an Expand-02 on Amazon earlier this year"
Thanks so much!
Slow by Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:55   #15

Boat: O'Day 40

We've been using the Sena SPH-10's for a couple of years and they certainly reduce stress. The Eartec look good and may be a little more comfortable.
I like how the SPH-10's don't interfere with hats and are very secure.
We often leave them on so we can talk easily when one of us is inside checking charts or whatever.
I disagree with TrentPieds regarding risk factors. My wife and I only have a few years of sailing a keel boat together and only for a few months a year.
Far better to be able to have clear communications than counting on the other person to be looking at you when something goes haywire and you are trying to send new signals.
Case in point. We were pulling anchor with my wife at the helm. I'm busy at the bow and we snag an old logging cable. Just at this point another boat decides to drop his anchor right behind us. She has to watch him and still respond to my instructions. Easily done with the radios.

Tags
anchor, head, helm, radio