Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 10:28   #91

Re: Headset for radio comms between helm and anchor?

My wife and I purchased a set of duplex headsets from Sailors Solutions over 10 years ago and they are still operating flawlessly. I change the 9 volt batteries at the same time as I do all of our smoke detectors both on the boat and at home...so get a large pack of 9 v batts at Costco. we find them to be the best when anchoring or even when I am up the mast ( 70 feet). we have also used them in a harbour from dinghy to main vessel. highly recommended and not as marriage savers, but as a good aid to safety, bum wiggles and hand signals are fine...I guess...but when you hear someone say forward, reverse, stop...clearly and in your ears.....it is better....buy them as an investment in your safety and peace of mind.....
CruiserDerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:36   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
I have seen crew of a few boats around our size (13 m) using headsets for communication between the helm and the person working the anchoring gear at the bow.

Even though that distance is only around ten metres, the combined noise from the windlass, engine, strong wind, and bowthruster can make it difficult to to hear each other.

I realise there are literally thousands of radio headsets spanning the whole gamut from professional to cheap supermarket junk, and that virtually none of them are in any way marinised.

Does anyone have a recommendation - something that is sufficiently robust to last a season or two on the deck of a sailboat?
Hi I have used a pair of SENA expand 2’s to deliver my boat from France to Greece and spend the summer mooring off the Greek Islands. Awesome duplex communication hands free Anchored in 24 knts wind no problem using the headsets Definitely recommend
Steve England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:29   #93

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Can you hear anyone else when you are wearing the earphones. We have guests being a charter boat and if you have to take off the earphones to hear the guests kind of defeats the purpose if thinking about wearing them all the time when you go below etc. Clearly don't need to hear guests when anchoring etc. But it's not like going around with a hands free phone earpiece is it?
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:45   #94

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Can you hear anyone else when you are wearing the earphones. We have guests being a charter boat and if you have to take off the earphones to hear the guests kind of defeats the purpose if thinking about wearing them all the time when you go below etc. Clearly don't need to hear guests when anchoring etc. But it's not like going around with a hands free phone earpiece is it?
https://www.motardinn.com/f/13610/13...eo-headset.jpg
On ear headphones Sena, behind the head bow, you can hear ambient noise and conversations, no problem. Light and versatile, can use them as intercom, to listen music, make phonecalls etc. Three button navigation and voice confirmations of operating mode, voice menu... A little tricky at the beginning, but easy to use once you figure it out.
Dead cat on the mike helps with wind noise.
You need two sets, built in rechargeable lithium battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Sena-EXPAND-0.../dp/B014A35CVO
Old 30-09-2019, 12:28   #95

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post

The Sena units have a light weight foam Over the Ear construction that does not impede any local conversation. Also uses a behind the head, over the ear band that doesn't interfere with hats. Full duplex operation allows for normal conversation mode without waiting for VOX or pressing to talk (Simplex). Clearly not as discrete as cellular earbuds but more effective for the purpose IMO.

On a more general note, I'm surprised and a little dismayed at the almost arrogant tone of others that tout their experience with "simple" acts such as anchoring, mooring or docking. Any one who thinks that verbal communication over distance between bow and cockpit, in the wind, over a dodger, with the engine running (for windlass) of the average 38-42' boat have far better ears than I do after 30 years of gunshots. I have a much higher regard for those that recognize their shortcomings and don't mind leveraging anything that works well. For those who have mastered hand (or butt) signals I say "we get it". Kudos to you, drive on! Lesser mortals will struggle on with what works.
Colonel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:38   #96

Boat: Grand Banks, Alaskan, 46

Would not leave the dock without or Sean’s. Best dollar spent in a long time.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 14:17   #97

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I would be happy to get straight answers to yes or no questions when i’m sitting next to my wife. Might as well wear both headsets myself. Maybe if I did it would send one of those visual signals.

Couldn’t resist.
Ha ha ha very good, I don't understand why it takes 2 people to anchor a boat, my last boat was 58 ft I'd get my wife to go put on cuppa while anchored, now I've shifted to shore I've got a 30 ft keeler and same thing, if I couldn't anchor a boat by myself I wouldn't have one.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 14:20   #98

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Ha ha ha very good, I don't understand why it takes 2 people to anchor a boat, my last boat was 58 ft I'd get my wife to go put on cuppa while anchored, now I've shifted to shore I've got a 30 ft keeler and same thing, if I couldn't anchor a boat by myself I wouldn't have one.

But now it takes longer, at least 5 seconds, for you to get forward. I'd bet you grunt and groan getting in and out of the cockpit also.

I do.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 14:24   #99

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

No, I'm only 65.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 16:53   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
If you cannot make yourself heard at 32', you must be in a hurricane, and the anchor is the least of your worries.

That definitely calls for a repost of "If I'm yelling...." (caution, explicit language)

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 17:14   #101

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
If you cannot make yourself heard at 32', you must be in a hurricane, and the anchor is the least of your worries.
Actually conchaway, it's not that they can't make themselves heard, it's exactly the opposite.

He is at the front yelling to try to get her, at the helm, to do what he wants. Only he does not know what he wants, exactly. His yelling is heard clearly, by her and every other boat in the harbor, though the instruction is not so definitive. Yelling changes to swearing. Wifey does not always have the lungs to respond, and anyhow he's not in the mood to listen.

The headphones allow them to have their little dispute in private.

I'd say that the best division of duties, and I don't know why more people don't do it, is for hubby to be at the helm and wifey to operate the windlass.

He knows where he wants to let the anchor down and how to get there (maybe). All he has to do is waggle a finger which means, "drop it now." (assume they have agreed ahead of time how much chain to let out)

He backs down, she tests the holding and signals for more power to set it, then "OK" (or, "nope, it's dragging" whatever.) There are a few signals for these situations, not many.

So the headsets are about preventing embarrassment, little else.
Old 30-09-2019, 17:20   #102

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That definitely calls for a repost of "If I'm yelling...." (caution, explicit language)

Man! That is horrible! If I sound like that please, PLEASE, just put me out of my misery.

(No wonder racing has a bad name!)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:37   #103

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

I have Eartec Ultralite remote and base set. One has a switch to turn on the other a button press. It also lights up on both when they've synched. When they are working they are great! And not just anchoring, docking or up the mast. Easy to make endearing off subject comments, jokes, etc. during those lulls in execution of complex serious operations. But, back to Eartec.

The asymmetric base/remote design is flawed. One won't start unless the other is already. There are plenty of per-to-peer designs out there. I shouldn't have to remember if it is a long press to off or on on the remote. And the switch on the master is too small and doesn't look like it is going to last.

Then there's the high probability of dead battery in the remote because it defaults on when the battery is inserted. Forget to turn it off. Is that a long press or a short one? Does the light mean it is turned on and using the battery or just that it is connected? Sometimes it is just dead when you go to use it. Batteries also seem to die just sitting in the units for a week or so.

They should have decent slide switches that truly disconnect the battery so there are no surprises when you go t depend on them. And forget the base/remote distinction. In operation they are great, but they are too prone to failure because of design shortsightedness.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30   #104

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
I have seen crew of a few boats around our size (13 m) using headsets for communication between the helm and the person working the anchoring gear at the bow.

Does anyone have a recommendation - something that is sufficiently robust to last a season or two on the deck of a sailboat?
This is the pair we use onboard daily, and they are likely the best investment we made for the boat.
https://amzn.to/2mmxYnL

Yes, hand signals and gestures work fine when all is well... but the ability to calmly talk to your partner/first mate even while everything else is going horribly wrong makes them invaluable.

If helpful, we talk a bit more about our experiences with them here
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00   #105

I tried the walkie talkie route. Didn't work well as two hands needed. Found these on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very little wind noise, plenty loud, and the price is right. The only complaint is that one needs to tuck the overly long headpiece wire out of the way.

I just got back from hosting a YC trip up to the Channel Island where one can only anchor. Several boat owners on the trip also purchased them and said they were very happy with them.
jasrclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, head, helm, radio