Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 12:07   #31

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Handheld VHF radio that uses alkaline batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
jsc7-

Pay attention to transmit power specs when getting a radio that can use standard [e.g., AAA or AA] batteries.

We keep an older RayMarine RAY101 model in our ditch bag. [Still available if you search diligently.] It is a well built basic marine VHF [i.e., Not Class D DSC] handheld that only uses AA batteries [6]. We keep lithium batteries in it, and have spares in the ditch bag. It is the only AA or AAA cell VHF I know of that will transmit at full power [5 watts in this case] using standard batteries.

We also carry SH HX870 radios on our person with the LIon rechargable battery they come with [1, 5, and 6w selectable.] We keep the AAA battery trays and spare batteries for these radios in our ditch bag as well. The HX870 is limited to 1 watt Tx power when using AAA batteries.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill
I want to reiterate the message from my first post in this thread: be aware of your handheld radio's transmit power limitations [if any] when using alkaline [AA, AAA] batteries- especially if this is for ditch-bag use. [The assumption being you may want maximum transmit power as an option (i.e., max distance) from your handheld radio in an emergency situation.]

While there are several handheld marine VHF radios that can use AA [and AAA] batteries, I have yet to find any that will transmit on full power when using alkaline batteries- except the Raymarine RAY101. [6- AA batteries; works with alkaline or lithium.]

For example, the ICOM M36 will transmit on 1 or 2 watts using 5- AAs.

The SH HX870 we each carry is limited to 1 watt Tx power when using the AAA batteries [and likely a very brief duration. AAs are much better...]

If you aren't sure whether this matters to you, try this: use your handheld next time you are out, but transmitting on low power only [1 watt- emulating alkaline batteries]. It should normally work satisfactorally if you can see other boats nearby... [Now try this test in noisy conditions.]

Test it again when you can't see other vessels, but know there are some within range of your fixed VHF radio [transmitting at low power- 5 watts, not high power- 25 watts.] Determine if you can make contact [and have a conversation] using your handheld at 1 watt. If not, try at high power on your handheld. [5-6 watts depending upon the radio.]

The goal is to discover the limitations of our hand held marine VHF radios in controlled circumstances, so we don't waste the batteries in an emergency...

I am very interested if anyone has found a handheld marine VHF that will transmit at full power when using alkaline [AA or AAA] batteries. Please share as I have been looking for years. [To my knowledge, none of the models mentioned in this thread meet this requirement- except the RAY101 above.]

In case this is of interest to anyone.

Cheers! Bill
Old 09-05-2018, 12:14   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Familiar with the Energizer lithiums. Anyone know whether these work in marine VHF radios?

If I recall correctly there there is a difference between standard AA alkaline batteries and lithiums in their voltage outputs or something that make lithiums unuseable for some devices.
Lithium batteries work well in our ditchbag RAY101 VHF handheld. [See my other posts in this thread for more details.]

Here is a good overview with more details about AA and AAA technology.

Cheers! Bill
Old 09-05-2018, 13:02   #33
RPZ

Thanks Bill.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 23:35   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I want to reiterate the message from my first post in this thread: be aware of your handheld radio's transmit power limitations [if any] when using alkaline [AA, AAA] batteries- especially if this is for ditch-bag use. [The assumption being you may want maximum transmit power as an option (i.e., max distance) from your handheld radio in an emergency situation.]

While there are several handheld marine VHF radios that can use AA [and AAA] batteries, I have yet to find any that will transmit on full power when using alkaline batteries- except the Raymarine RAY101. [6- AA batteries; works with alkaline or lithium.]

For example, the ICOM M36 will transmit on 1 or 2 watts using 5- AAs.

The SH HX870 we each carry is limited to 1 watt Tx power when using the AAA batteries [and likely a very brief duration. AAs are much better...]

If you aren't sure whether this matters to you, try this: use your handheld next time you are out, but transmitting on low power only [1 watt- emulating alkaline batteries]. It should normally work satisfactorally if you can see other boats nearby... [Now try this test in noisy conditions.]

Test it again when you can't see other vessels, but know there are some within range of your fixed VHF radio [transmitting at low power- 5 watts, not high power- 25 watts.] Determine if you can make contact [and have a conversation] using your handheld at 1 watt. If not, try at high power on your handheld. [5-6 watts depending upon the radio.]

The goal is to discover the limitations of our hand held marine VHF radios in controlled circumstances, so we don't waste the batteries in an emergency...

I am very interested if anyone has found a handheld marine VHF that will transmit at full power when using alkaline [AA or AAA] batteries. Please share as I have been looking for years. [To my knowledge, none of the models mentioned in this thread meet this requirement- except the RAY101 above.]

In case this is of interest to anyone.

Cheers! Bill
I came across this forum tonight while researching between three handheld VHF radios, and the ability to utilize alkaline battery tray back up. Some good info here. I currently have a Cobra MR HH500, which has been great, but looking to add DSC/GPS.

I was looking into:
Icom M93D (No alkaline option that I’ve seen, nothing listed in product brochure)
SH HX870 (AAA battery tray backup, transmit at 1 watt as mentioned)
Cobra MR HH600 (AA battery tray backup, transmit at full power)

The Cobra MR HH600 comes with a battery tray that holds 5 AA’s and transmits at the full 6 watts when used, according to the manual.

Copied from page 11:

“Alkaline Batteries:
The alkaline battery tray acts as a backup or “Emergency” power source should the battery pack run low on power and need to be recharged. The radio will transmit at full power when using five (5) new AA alkaline batteries.”

Link to the manual for the MR HH600:
https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/..._MANL_vB_0.pdf

I wish all three manufacturers offered full power battery tray operation. I was originally leaning towards SH or Icom due to the reputation, reviews and features. However, the reputation and features won’t have much to offer once the battery is exhausted.
Cntrl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:22   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntrl23 View Post
I wish all three manufacturers offered full power battery tray operation. I was originally leaning towards SH or Icom due to the reputation, reviews and features. However, the reputation and features won’t have much to offer once the battery is exhausted.
I went and had a look at the HX 870 manual and you are right, this is what is says. Interestingly when I looked at the manual for my older HX270E there is no mention of this, so presumably it transmits on full power from batteries. There are warnings about not using re-chargeable batteries in the battery case though, so alkaline only.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HX 870.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	169529  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 09:19   #36

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

Looking for a hand held that will take a battery pack when needed. I am trying to replace a 22 year old Standard Horizon HX260S. That radio was a workhorse for me for many years. But, I made the mistake of leaving the alkaline batteries in it last year, and did not sail at all, so indeed the batteries puked all over the tray and caused some corrosion. I cleaned it up, but just not sure it will be reliable when needed. I'll miss that radio.

So far, while reading and searching, the results seem to be that very few handhelds have battery trays... but are depending on rechargeable packs... fine, if you have them constantly on a charger, but not good for a ditch bag situation.

Seems like only the higher end handhelds have available battery trays, which is somewhat ironic, as those radios come loaded with BT, GPS, FM, etc that just eats up whatever power source you use.

I am quite surprised by the SH HX870, limiting output if you use a battery tray. The Cobra MR HH600 seems to have problems with volume, if I am to believe user reviews.

This thread appears to have been last visited in 2018, so it's possible that other devices have been introduced. WM has a rather limited selection on line and my local store is tiny. (The San Diego store has a huge electronics section... but that is there, I am here)

So kicking what I hope is not a dead thread to see if there are any other ideas/suggestions. Fair Winds
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 09:37   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

My Uniden handheld has both a large lithium battery pack and a pack that holds AA. This is well over a decade old now, so not sure if they still make them. But it's been great.
Old 19-08-2021, 09:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My Uniden handheld has both a large lithium battery pack and a pack that holds AA. This is well over a decade old now, so not sure if they still make them. But it's been great.
I just did a search at Defender Marine, and found a SH HX 380... which seems to fit my bill, with a "700 mW Loud speaker audio." 6 cell battery trays are available. (I don't know why I didn't look there first... D'OH)

Seems like a fitting replacement for my old Standard Horizon. And, the price is right.

While all those extra features listed in the other radios can be nice to have, I like to go with "simple" for easy operation and lack of clutter.

Fair Winds.
Old 19-08-2021, 14:23   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Genec-
Almost 100% of the time, when alkalines do leak, you can clean the contacts by letting them soak for a few minutes in white vinegar. (Don't spill that into the electronics.) Follow up with a q-tip or toothbrush to scrub any more green crud off the contacts and you should be back to clean shiny metal, perfectly reliable. Use a little tap or distilled water to rinse, if you can do that without getting water into the radio, then use some "canned air" to get any other moisture out of crevices.
Usually the green crud has not gotten into the wires, but if it has, it is simple enough to trim them back a 1/2" or so and add in new wire if needed.

I've learned to use silicone grease (brake grease, light bulb grease, vacuum grease, high-dielectric grease, any of them) on all my battery contacts. Totally prevents corrosion and when batteries do leak, it just takes a paper towel to wipe off the mess.

By the way, if those were Eveready, Duracell, or Rayovac, and hadn't gone past the expiration date, they'll repair or replace the radio or any device for free.

So I also add a sticker on battery things "Batteries 2021, replace 2029" or either half of that. Makes it easier to check.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 14:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Genec-
Almost 100% of the time, when alkalines do leak, you can clean the contacts by letting them soak for a few minutes in white vinegar. (Don't spill that into the electronics.) Follow up with a q-tip or toothbrush to scrub any more green crud off the contacts and you should be back to clean shiny metal, perfectly reliable. Use a little tap or distilled water to rinse, if you can do that without getting water into the radio, then use some "canned air" to get any other moisture out of crevices.
Usually the green crud has not gotten into the wires, but if it has, it is simple enough to trim them back a 1/2" or so and add in new wire if needed.

I've learned to use silicone grease (brake grease, light bulb grease, vacuum grease, high-dielectric grease, any of them) on all my battery contacts. Totally prevents corrosion and when batteries do leak, it just takes a paper towel to wipe off the mess.

By the way, if those were Eveready, Duracell, or Rayovac, and hadn't gone past the expiration date, they'll repair or replace the radio or any device for free.

So I also add a sticker on battery things "Batteries 2021, replace 2029" or either half of that. Makes it easier to check.
Wow, white vinegar eh... more uses than one may have thought... I use it to clean my coffee machine regularly.

Fortunately the battery case removes completely as it also came with a NiCAD pack (long long since dead). I tried alcohol, but was not completely successful. I'll give it another shot with the vinegar, water and "air."

Good idea on the batteries... both the label and the grease.

I tossed the old batteries into my "old battery box" for recycle... which is full of Duracells and others. So I suspect I cannot tell one from the other.

I did order a new radio, as I mentioned above... but its always nice to have a couple of them... so I will try to restore this one.

BTW I just checked my GPS... batteries look quite good... but I will add grease.

Thanks, and Fair Winds.
Old 24-08-2021, 12:22   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Genec-
Alcohol just won't dissolve the alkaline salts from the batteries. The water in the vinegar does most of the lifting, the acid counteracts the alkaline chemistry, which is how the magic vinegar works.
I've had several battery packs rebuilt (it really is dog simple) by a shop called Bulldog Battery (bulldogbattery.com) and the #1 name used to be The NiCad Lady in California but I think she's retired. Nicads *can* be replaced with NiMh cells in these applications, often doubling or tripling both the charging time required, and the running time of the radio.
Lots of folks say no, you can't do that, but since the chargers are built for a very low charging rate (10 hours) the slight differences in the two battery types become totally insignificant. The charging time has to be increased since the charge is still at the same old slow rate--but the battery capacity is now much higher, so they take longer to recharge.
Bulldog are good people, they know how to use the telephone and offer options or advise against them, whatever the customer wants.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 14:30   #42

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I just did a search at Defender Marine, and found a SH HX 380... which seems to fit my bill, with a "700 mW Loud speaker audio." 6 cell battery trays are available. (I don't know why I didn't look there first... D'OH)

Seems like a fitting replacement for my old Standard Horizon. And, the price is right.

While all those extra features listed in the other radios can be nice to have, I like to go with "simple" for easy operation and lack of clutter.

Fair Winds.

I have two of them, they're great. I have the battery trays and use them with Eneloop rechargable AA batteries. They work OK but do not have the same life as the lithium packs.
Old 24-08-2021, 14:34   #43

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Nicads *can* be replaced with NiMh cells in these applications, often doubling or tripling both the charging time required, and the running time of the radio.
Lots of folks say no, you can't do that, but since the chargers are built for a very low charging rate (10 hours) the slight differences in the two battery types become totally insignificant.

The important thing to keep in mind when replacing Nicads with NiMh is that:
  • Nicads can accept a trickle charge indefinitely even when fully charged without damage, and many simple/inexpensive charging circuits designed originally for Nicads do that
  • NiMh will fail in a matter of days/weeks if treated that way
NiCds are still available from many sources. I just bought some for an older device that incorporates a simple solar charger.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:45   #44

Quote:
Genec-
Alcohol just won't dissolve the alkaline salts from the batteries. The water in the vinegar does most of the lifting, the acid counteracts the alkaline chemistry, which is how the magic vinegar works.
I've had several battery packs rebuilt (it really is dog simple) by a shop called Bulldog Battery (bulldogbattery.com) and the #1 name used to be The NiCad Lady in California but I think she's retired. Nicads *can* be replaced with NiMh cells in these applications, often doubling or tripling both the charging time required, and the running time of the radio.
Lots of folks say no, you can't do that, but since the chargers are built for a very low charging rate (10 hours) the slight differences in the two battery types become totally insignificant. The charging time has to be increased since the charge is still at the same old slow rate--but the battery capacity is now much higher, so they take longer to recharge.
Bulldog are good people, they know how to use the telephone and offer options or advise against them, whatever the customer wants.
I was under the impression that NiMh needed to be monitored for temp while charging... but perhaps that is only lithium cells. (lithium ion)
Old 25-08-2021, 06:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have two of them, they're great. I have the battery trays and use them with Eneloop rechargable AA batteries. They work OK but do not have the same life as the lithium packs.
My goal is to NOT use rechargeable batteries... at least in the second battery tray. I want something that doesn't require an outside power source... thus for a ditch bag or for use on the tender.

For regular use, the rechargeable pack should be just fine, and I believe there is a drop in charger, which should be nice. (I don't even know where my old charger for my existing SH HX260 is, as the NiCads failed so long ago)

I chose the Standard Horizon as that seemed to be the least cluttered handheld, from an operations standpoint, and the "loud" aspect seemed perfect for situations where I am running an engine... either aux or outboard. A couple of the other radios I researched had reviews that mentioned "too quiet."

I'll know by this weekend.

Tags
hf radio, radio, vhf