Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 05:01   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Handheld ChartPlotter GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
I suspect soon the big plotters will go the way of the big computers.
Ideally, they will be stand alone, will have the option of updating the charts by either a chip or over the air.
The the hand held display will have an output to a larger display and a port for an external antenna input

Ours, going on 9 years old, is already like that., as was (I think) its predecessor in their product line.

Updates via SD card, with ports for GPS, DST transducers, radar, autopilot, weather, wind, AIS, VHF, etc etc etc...

Newer versions also do WiFi...

-Chris
Old 08-02-2018, 05:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
It looks like I will be doing a trip from Annapolis to Charleston on a new to me boat. It doesn't have any fancy electronics other then a auto helm and a compass. I was thinking about using an iPad with Navionics and a GPSMAP® 78sc for backup handheld chart plotter.

Does this seem reasonable, or should I explore other options or models?
Sounds reasonable.

We've been using a Garmin handheld GPS on our little boat, together with paper charts and standard navigating. We don't usually fire the GPS up unless we're unsure of our position or of the waters ahead of us.

Previously, it was a Garmin etrex Vista (monochrome) but this year my lovely wife Santa gave me a Garmin GPSMAP 64st. (colour, GPS+GLONASS, with topo map loaded). So yes I then coughed up for the Bluechart SD card as well. (You can scan paper or convert raster charts, but it's a pain). This combo comes close to the price of an iPad, and the screen is darn small... but it is a faster-locking GPS, sunlight-readable, waterproof and rugged. It's also something we can take on road trips, hiking, canoeing, biking, etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:04   #33

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ours, going on 9 years old, is already like that., as was (I think) its predecessor in their product line.

Updates via SD card, with ports for GPS, DST transducers, radar, autopilot, weather, wind, AIS, VHF, etc etc etc...

Newer versions also do WiFi...

-Chris
What is the brand and model of this unit?

Ah one more thing I would like it "Return" so as to follow the course back home.
I have yet to see that on a GPS.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:45   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
There is a marine version of the 76 that comes with charts. I found the inreach easier to use than the 76 but that maybe just operator error
Which model do you have? I purchased the "marine" version from West Marine. Before purchasing I looked at the specs for the various 76 models and none I found listed anything more than base charts. Maybe you found a deal that included the SD card.

The base chart does show land and water but no depths, channel markers, etc. Does yours show full detail? By the way, I looked at the specs on a 78 and it does seem to include full charts.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:47   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What is the brand and model of this unit?

Ah one more thing I would like it "Return" so as to follow the course back home.
I have yet to see that on a GPS.
All the GPS chartplotters I've used leave a track and to return you can just follow that line back. Are you looking for something more than a line to follow?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:23   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Which model do you have? I purchased the "marine" version from West Marine. Before purchasing I looked at the specs for the various 76 models and none I found listed anything more than base charts. Maybe you found a deal that included the SD card.

The base chart does show land and water but no depths, channel markers, etc. Does yours show full detail? By the way, I looked at the specs on a 78 and it does seem to include full charts.
My 76 is quite old now, but I’m quite sure when I bought it, it came as a package deal with the desired chart chip. I remember having to find a Canadian source because I wanted a Canadian chart package.

Skip … your message got me doubting my old brain, so I went to confirm what I have. Mine is actually a 76 CSx (GPSMAP® 76CSx). It’s the little “x” that provides the microSD slot for charts. The CS appears to only have internal memory for downloadable charts.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:41   #37

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Sounds reasonable.

We've been using a Garmin handheld GPS on our little boat, together with paper charts and standard navigating. We don't usually fire the GPS up unless we're unsure of our position or of the waters ahead of us.

Previously, it was a Garmin etrex Vista (monochrome) but this year my lovely wife Santa gave me a Garmin GPSMAP 64st. (colour, GPS+GLONASS, with topo map loaded). So yes I then coughed up for the Bluechart SD card as well. (You can scan paper or convert raster charts, but it's a pain). This combo comes close to the price of an iPad, and the screen is darn small... but it is a faster-locking GPS, sunlight-readable, waterproof and rugged. It's also something we can take on road trips, hiking, canoeing, biking, etc.
Do I understand this right, you have to buy a $350 handheld, and spend about $300 - $400 for marine charts? I am looking at east coast of US. Total cost: around $800
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My 76 is quite old now, but I’m quite sure when I bought it, it came as a package deal with the desired chart chip. I remember having to find a Canadian source because I wanted a Canadian chart package.

Skip … your message got me doubting my old brain, so I went to confirm what I have. Mine is actually a 76 CSx (GPSMAP® 76CSx). It’s the little “x” that provides the microSD slot for charts. The CS appears to only have internal memory for downloadable charts.
Mike, do you plug your handheld into a larger display and are you satisfied with it?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:58   #39

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Do I understand this right, you have to buy a $350 handheld, and spend about $300 - $400 for marine charts? I am looking at east coast of US. Total cost: around $800
Garmin GPSMAP 78sc is $250 on Amazon. Comes with coastal US and bahamas charts.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:07   #40

Quote:
Mike, do you plug your handheld into a larger display and are you satisfied with it?
Most of the time the handheld display is all I use. It does not get plugged into a larger screen. It is my primary plotter when underway, but the small screen isn’t very good for planning, and sometimes when navigating in tight quarters with lots of navigational challenges the small screen becomes harder to use. In these latter cases I turn to my iPad (iNavx) or my chart table mounted plotter (GPSMAP 721xs).

Note, my boat is tiller-driven, so no easy place to mount a cockpit plotter. The iPad sits under the dodger in a bracket, but it’s easier to just use the handheld most of the time.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:10   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Garmin GPSMAP 78sc is $250 on Amazon. Comes with coastal US and bahamas charts.
Are they the current charts? If not, what does it cost to upgrade them?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:14   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Most of the time the handheld display is all I use. It does not get plugged into a larger screen. It is my primary plotter when underway, but the small screen isn’t very good for planning, and sometimes when navigating in tight quarters with lots of navigational challenges the small screen becomes harder to use. In these latter cases I turn to my iPad (iNavx) or my chart table mounted plotter (GPSMAP 721xs).

Note, my boat is tiller-driven, so no easy place to mount a cockpit plotter. The iPad sits under the dodger in a bracket, but it’s easier to just use the handheld most of the time.
Mike when I checked them out via the internet, I did not see a sturdy mount for the GPS. That suggests, you have a bucket of worms with all the wires lying about.

The mount would ideally accept all the input and then, when the GPS is in the mount, there would be contacts to allow to mate with the input from mount.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:22   #43

Quote:
Mike when I checked them out via the internet, I did not see a sturdy mount for the GPS. That suggests, you have a bucket of worms with all the wires lying about.

The mount would ideally accept all the input and then, when the GPS is in the mount, there would be contacts to allow to mate with the input from mount.
Uhmmmm … I think we’re talking about two different devices here. I’ve been discussing handheld chartplotters, in this case the Garmin 76CSx. It runs off two AA batteries; no wires, no external connections — and how the heck did we get to "bucket of worms” .

There are lots of mounts for these devices, but I just leave it loose in the cockpit. I grab it when needed.
Old 08-02-2018, 13:21   #44

Quote:
Yeah, the handheld with CDN topo map was around CDN$400, and I bought the Bluechart marine charts for all of Canada "on sale" at the TO Boat Show for about CDN$150.

Supposedly you can get a Bluechart SD for the whole US for under US$100. I don't know what some of the more detailed regional charts get you, or even if they're worth the $$ on a small-screen device.

As I mentioned there are ways to import a .jpg (eg from a scan of a paper chart) to your device. It looks tedious... but might be worth it for particular areas.

I hear your implied observation ( $$$ ), and, yes this seems like a lot of money, when you can get a bigger chart on your smartphone, which you got free with your 3 yr commitment. We have friends who put the navionics app on their phone, and like it.

All I can say is that the dedicated device is a faster more sensitive GPS, rugged and waterproof. Your phone is less waterproof, most are harder to read in the sun, and using it as a chartplotter will deplete your battery faster. Besides, since my wife gave me the GPSMAP 64st as a gift, it is absolutely the best device in the world, and I won't hear different.

Check with Garmin or a good GPS or outdoor store for a solid mount. For now, I've been sitting ours in a coffee-cup holder, but with a lanyard so it can't fly away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943
If you're buying new electronic charts (or new device with charts) from a reputable source, they should be the latest available. The one I bought was dated Nov 2017. Depending on who made the charts, there are upgrades. Check the Garmin website.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 14:31   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My new Garmin plotter came with pretty much up to date charts but also one free download to get the latest. Good for one year.

Tags
chartplotter, gps