Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 22:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Handheld anemometer vs. masthead wind instruments

Any thoughts on using a handheld anemometer instead of a masthead wind instrument on a sailboat? Quality handhelds costs 1/7 as much and have similar accuracy. Masthead instruments are in clear air above the sails, show wind direction and can be linked to the autopilot to emulate wind vane steering and show relative vs. actual wind speed.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:20   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Handheld anemometer vs. masthead wind instruments

Wind speed at the helm is not the same as wind speed at the top of the mast. However, having a handheld anemometer in the cockpit will not hurt. Also remember the wind direction at the helm is also different than wind direction at the top of the mast.

Choice is yours. I have a windvane on the mast but no electronics. So I too use an handheld at the helm.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:19   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Can’t think of any other reason to choose a handheld over a mast mounted unit except $$$$. Most of us don’t have an extra hand when sailing in which to hold it up over your head.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37
Handheld anemometer vs. masthead wind instruments

I've got, and use both. As mentioned, the wind speed, and even direction, can be markedly different from the mast head to the cockpit. Often the lower the general wind, the bigger the difference.

I do find it useful to use both, but if I had to choose I'd go with a masthead meter. Of course, if cost means only the handheld is viable, then that's better than nothing.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:37   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

99% of the time my Garmin CP/MFD is set on the wind display screen from the masthead transducer, it's the best method of keeping track of wind direction without neck strain from constantly looking at the masthead fly. At night I find the lighted display at the helm extremely advantageous.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:23   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

IMO, and I have both, a hand-held anemometer is of no value sailing. I do use it for many types of testing, but while actually underway, it's useless. You are better off estimating by the feel of the wind on your face, the impact on the rig, and the look of the water.

A mast head anemometer can be handy for gauging sail changes, particularly with protected cockpits. But only after you have learned to do it by feel.

Same with electronic masthead wind direction. Fairly useless. Better to have multiple visual wind indicators, aloft and at deck level (bow). The EXCEPTION, of course, is if the masthead instruments are integrated with the autopilot. That's brilliant, very handy for cruising.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:43   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

The one thing I do find the handheld useful for is setting my windvane angle. Since it is a small sail rigged at the back of the boat, I find the wind angle there can be significantly different than the one shown at the masthead.

Differences between upper and lower winds, plus all the odd turbulence that affects the vane. Certainly helps there.

During the day I don't think either are all that important. Or rather, it's pretty easy to see and feel direction (and speed) without the digital tools. But at night in the dark, I do watch the my masthead anemometer display pretty closely, especially on any downwind runs. Here it's an invaluable tool.

Tags
head, mast, men, rum, wind