Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 21:19   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Cheechako: you have your HAM license but not the true soul of a HAM or you wouldn't call your radio "just another tool". Cruisers who are HAM's often only want the license to participate on some maritime HAM nets and do winlink, indeed making the radio just a tool (nothing wrong with that). True HAM's tinker their radio's and call CQ's on calculated times and frequencies, hoping to make DX contacts and log every one of them. They also talk to the radio, not just through it. That's the difference ;-)

My coolest contacts were all made from Curacao; with Moskow, Tokyo and New Zealand. I also liked the contact with Havanna, Porto, and Chile. And, being a Dutchman, I made winlink contacts with the Dutch station ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 01:48   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Only a bunch of HAMs could create this much diatribe around a simple question....
I trust you're intending the archaic definition of "diatribe", and not the more modern (suggesting bitterness and ill will).
BTW, I've never been a HAM, nor owned an SSB.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 08:54   #93

Gee..... I figured I would get a lot more negative comments from mine! Yes I know what Hams do, tinker, have ham fests, send each other contact acknowledgments etc. All of which is really fun. Personally, I'm into Vacuum tube rigs and work on something with a vacuum tube at least 3 nights a week. I still maintain that in the context of this forum ....it is a tool. Peace...... and may the sunspots (not) be with you!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 21:22   #94

Boat: Irwin 37 Ketch
unbusted67s original question

Unbusted67
I hope I won’t spoil everyone’s fun by answering the questions you have about your 706MKIIG radio, but; push the "TUNE" button near the lower left hand corner of the rig. If it stays red, your radio is not only getting out but you will know your AH-4 tuner is working and your whole rig is working fine. If it blinks or goes out you have other problems. If you want more information (about everything boating, cruising and your radio), go see Downwind Marine in SD. It is a Wonderland of information, especially about going south.
Also, (wanting to keep this diatribe going) you can tune your ICOM to 156.600 (I think that is the one) and listen in to Channel 16 (and the whole VHF Band). Your Icom works great as an alternative to your marine VHF (it puts out 50W). Wow, that should get them going again!
Hollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 01:04   #95

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollen View Post
Unbusted67
If it stays red, your radio is not only getting out but you will know your AH-4 tuner is working and your whole rig is working fine. If it blinks or goes out you have other problems. If you want more information (about everything boating, cruising and your radio), go see Downwind Marine in SD. It is a Wonderland of information, especially about going south.
Also, (wanting to keep this diatribe going) you can tune your ICOM to 156.600 (I think that is the one) and listen in to Channel 16 (and the whole VHF Band). Your Icom works great as an alternative to your marine VHF (it puts out 50W). Wow, that should get them going again!
Thanks, I have tried pressing and holding the tune button and it does blink and not light up solidly, I'll save everyone the trouble of asking what's going on with that and try to trouble shoot it myself.

I actually tried to tune into 16 and monitored it on my VHF to see if both radios were getting the same thing. What I noticed was that my Icom was actually shifting from rx to tx and back and that I could here it broadcasting on the vhf (not good) (and illegal) I promptly turned it off and started this thread because I was afraid. I think I will head to downwind and see if I can tap that resource. I think part of the problem is that someone else installed this radio so I don't know what is what.

What exactly does the AH-4 do anyway?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 06:55   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Unbusted: you have three antenna connectors on the back of the radio. You must connect a VHF antenna to use the marine VHF band. I think the radio is trying to sense an antenna (the reason you see it alternating between tx and rx).
The 3rd connector is for an UHF antenna (440 MHz) but you would use that only for HAM. You can buy combo VHF-UHF antenna's and an antenna multiplexer to connect that single antenna to both VHF & UHF connectors.

The AH-4 is connected to the HF antenna connector and it tunes your antenna to the selected frequency on your radio. (The HF bands are too far apart for the antenna to cover all that without the tuner).

cheers,
Nick.
Old 30-05-2009, 07:17   #97
Eternal Member

Nick,

As is becoming your style, you're only partly right.

The 706MKIIG has only TWO antenna connectors (SO-239); one is for HF, the second is for both VHF and UHF.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 08:00   #98

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Sorry if some of the above doesn't track well....just getting over a 2-week bout with the flu...and I'm not tracking too well myself :-)

Bill

Haha, did you catch swine flu from a ham radio?

I only popped into this thread because i know nothing about radio and im learning lots already.

Thanks guys for the patience and skill to explain, .........sadly, i still dont get it all and need to read more
Old 30-05-2009, 14:25   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nick,

As is becoming your style, you're only partly right.

The 706MKIIG has only TWO antenna connectors (SO-239); one is for HF, the second is for both VHF and UHF.

Bill
Yep, you're right. The question is which other radio I was mixed up with...

But still I think I helped the OP as it is that 2nd connector that probably doesn't have an antenna connected and which is used for both VHF & UHF.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 30-05-2009, 16:11   #100

Should we have that other antenna if we want to get the most from our radio?
Old 30-05-2009, 17:38   #101
Eternal Member

All depends on what you want to do. If you want to work VHF and/or UHF stations, then you MUST have another suitable antenna connected to the second SO-239 (the lower one). But, if you don't care about VHF/UHF contacts, then you don't need the antenna.

BTW, while the 706 might be capable of transmitting on, e.g., the VHF marine band, it is illegal to use it this way. It's only for use on the ham bands. You can listen, though :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:17   #102

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
BTW, while the 706 might be capable of transmitting on, e.g., the VHF marine band, it is illegal to use it this way. It's only for use on the ham bands. You can listen, though :-)

Bill
Which brings up a good point - is unbusted67's Icom 706 opened up for marine HF transmit capability?

And yes, I know - when you "open up" a 706, it's opened for any and all bands beyond the ham bands - not just the marine bands... How do I know this? Because I opened up my 706 so I could access the 60m channelized band. That's legal. Using it in lieu of a marine SSB radio for normal traffic on the marine bands is not...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 22:02   #103

I think it is opened up. Someone somewhere on this thread told me how to test it and I did and it tx'd.
Old 10-06-2009, 20:32   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Ok, what is an ICOM IC 735? Ham or Marine?
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:08   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The ICOM IC-735 was (1980's) an Amateur HF transceiver (HAM), with SSB, CW, FM and AM modes.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote