Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 15:25   #46

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Hi Chip,

Thanks for the numbers. I realized after my post that I misspoke, but let it go. I was mainly commenting on the distortion issue. Btw, my batteries are rarely above 80%, or at least not for long... ;-)

take care...
don
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 15:52   #47
Eternal Member

Re: Ham on a Budget

Chip,

Thanks for running the numbers with the IC-7000. I suspect this parallels the performance of many ham radios -- but not all -- with varying levels of input voltage.

The really important difference between ham radios and, e.g., marine radios is that the former often distort badly (begin to "FM") with voltages much below 12.6, whereas marine radios are more tolerant. You can hear the difference frequently on the various maritime nets.

I've got a bunch of marine, military, and ham HF radios here, and several variable voltage power supplies as well as RF sampling scopes. One of these days when I find time I'll run some tests with them and report the results.

Thanks, again.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:20   #48

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Just a brief wave.... Hi Bill...just connected with you from Ft Liquordale on 7268 with my Yaesu 857D (100W). Band took a dive right just then, but understand I was light, but no problem reading.

Probably would have been a bit better if I had used the 700PRO at 150W.

Stay safe.

Best

John
KJ4JON

ps - what rig and setup were you using?
Old 25-08-2011, 05:43   #49
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
On the power output vs. input voltage question, I just ran a little test with my ICOM IC-7000,
thanks V V much for taking the time to post those figures. I'm waiting for ic 7000 from ebay to turn up, so of much interest.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:44   #50
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
Just a brief wave.... Hi Bill...just connected with you from Ft Liquordale on 7268 with my Yaesu 857D (100W). Band took a dive right just then, but understand I was light, but no problem reading.

Probably would have been a bit better if I had used the 700PRO at 150W.

Stay safe.

Best

John
KJ4JON

ps - what rig and setup were you using?
Hi, John...

Nice to hook up with you. You were doing just fine. Propagation on 40m at this time of day is flaky...changes from minute to minute.

I was using a Kenwood TKM-707 -- a little known but GREAT marine radio -- with an SG-500 amp running about 500-600W PEP -- into an inverted-L wire antenna, with the peak up about 50'.

The RF ground is a whole bunch of wire thrown into a window well outside my basement shack, plus the copper gutters running all around the front of my house.

Bill
Old 25-08-2011, 06:04   #51

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. I thought you might be running power....now I don't feel so badly .

Antenna is definitely doing a good job for you. I have tried L's and like them.

I am glad I have the Yaesu, but still think the 700PRO is a superior rig and gives me a better signal. Someone here mentioned how much more voltage tolerant marine rigs are. I have found that to be true and it can be an issue with some batt banks.

40m was flaky this am, but good propagation from your end. I could barely hear Chuck (ND7K) in the Keys (I must have been in the skip zone for him, though, I often hear the Keys here).

Stay safe

John
Old 25-08-2011, 08:00   #52

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gordon May (Ham Guru) tested counter-poise and found a simple attachment to a thru hull worked the best and that the copper lining was a waste and did not work as well. The Ocean is the counterpoise. so that costs almost nothing. Next, you can run a wire up the mast (proper length) for an antenna. Then to the coax to the tuner. Again, almost no cost. I use a manual MFJ tuner I bought off ebay for $50. My rig is a Yaesu 840 that I bought for $500. It is my second one. They are bullet proof. But yes, you do need a license and if the proper diodes are cut by a knowledgeable ham electronics guy, you can cross over into Marine bands...good luck.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:25   #53

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I think you mean Gordon West. You, and he, are absolutely correct, but many people aren't satisfied with a solution unless it's complicated and expensive -- go figure...
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:31   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
I think you mean Gordon West. You, and he, are absolutely correct, but many people aren't satisfied with a solution unless it's complicated and expensive -- go figure...
Opps...I got my Gordons mixed up...my apologies.

I did the copper sheet lining for years. Now I use an external copper plate which costs me $20. They even tested the cindered plates and found no improvement.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-08-2011, 09:03   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, the through-hull or external plate connection probably doesn't work so well in fresh water. If you're using SSB on the Great Lakes you will want some sort of radial or other extensive grounding network.

And Celestialsailor, don't forget that the "opened up" ham radio is not legal to use on the marine bands (except in an emergency.) I'm not saying you can't do it, and many do, but as we have discussed there are potential legal and technical repercussions.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:38   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
By the way, the through-hull or external plate connection probably doesn't work so well in fresh water. If you're using SSB on the Great Lakes you will want some sort of radial or other extensive grounding network.

And Celestialsailor, don't forget that the "opened up" ham radio is not legal to use on the marine bands (except in an emergency.) I'm not saying you can't do it, and many do, but as we have discussed there are potential legal and technical repercussions.
Yes...I knew about the legalities of clipping as well as many with Ham radios using a phoney Ham number. I guess a better way I could have said it is...A Ham radio is generally cheaper than a SSB and can receive on all the SSB frequency's...

I was just thinking that although slightly off topic, maybe us Hams should start a Cruisers net...
Old 25-08-2011, 11:31   #57
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...I knew about the legalities of clipping as well as many with Ham radios using a phoney Ham number. I guess a better way I could have said it is...A Ham radio is generally cheaper than a SSB and can receive on all the SSB frequency's... ...
Used marine SSBs are often about the same price as a used ham radio. I have several on hand at the moment.

Most any modern HF ham radio has broadband receive capability right out of the box, and can receive on virtually any MF or HF frequency. A "mod" is needed for them to transmit outside the ham bands.

While some cruisers adopt phony ham calls, they generally get caught out -- by real hams. In my experience such use of phony calls is more rare than it was some years ago, perhaps because anyone with just a bit of effort can get a genuine ham license.

Quote:
...I was just thinking that although slightly off topic, maybe us Hams should start a Cruisers net...
???? Not sure what you mean by this. There are lots of nets for cruisers on both the ham bands and the marine bands. A partial listing can be found here: Net / SSB Frequencies

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 25-08-2011, 11:53   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
???? Not sure what you mean by this. There are lots of nets for cruisers on both the ham bands and the marine bands. A partial listing can be found here: Net / SSB Frequencies

Bill
WA6CCA

I was meaning a Han net for the Ham licensed folks on this Cruisers Forum
...Martin N6FAI
Old 25-08-2011, 13:35   #59

Quote:
Yes...I knew about the legalities of clipping as well as many with Ham radios using a phoney Ham number. I guess a better way I could have said it is...A Ham radio is generally cheaper than a SSB and can receive on all the SSB frequency's...

I was just thinking that although slightly off topic, maybe us Hams should start a Cruisers net...
Many of the marine maritime ssb channels are duplex.... That is.... Different freqs for send and receive. My kenwood ts450s accepted the mm duplex in memory fine without mod. As far as big brother watching..... I dont get the impression anyone outside the us.... In general ... Really cares, or has no one watching any way. Inside the us the fcc seems to spend all its time helping the big cell companies etc gobble up frequencies.... No money in ham or mm ssb!_ as long as youre not right next to someone interfering with their cell and tv service....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 03:31   #60

Boat: Currently boatless

Hi Drew,

We did the single thru hull method with about 15' of copper foil which we bought from the guy on Vancouver Island who installs SSB-Pactors (can't remember his business because we only bought foil from him - sorry!).

See you in Mexico.

Livia
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget