Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 06:23   #1

Hailer/PA Horn -- Useful?

Mast is down...chasing new wires for new antenna, etc. The radio has a hailer PA function but I don't have one installed and wondered if those that do find them useful.

I could yell "Shark!",
or aim it at the deck and yell "No, your doing it WRONG!" when docking,
or "Prepare to be boarded!" at the USCG, DHS, Sheriff, FMP, DEA,
or...

Just wondered if anyone found them useful?
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Hailer/PA Horn -- Useful?

I would love to have one of those destroyer "whoop whoop" sounding horns. Just the ticket for getting through a fleet of racing yachts.

Sadly back in the real world I wouldn't bother, its just one more wire and speaker to corrode away.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 07:11   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you sail in fog, the automatic fog horn feature is useful.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 07:37   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The other feature is the automatic fog bell for when you are anchored (or aground, though different sound). It makes that brass bell, with the 8" diameter, redundant (but I guess they aren't required in the USA any more). It can also be used for an alarm siren, if you have a driver attached. The hailer also functions as a listening device.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 17:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The hailer also functions as a listening device.
Hmm. Had not heard of this, so I googled this listening function...interesting. People use it to hear folks on the dock or other boats when the radio is in PA mode.

Will this work on the deck of the boat? It's hard to hear one another when anchoring and the engine is running. Our hand signal drill when anchoring/docking is always entertaining. I wonder if the PA/Listening mode would enable communications from the bow to the helm...(maybe I don't want to hear what is really uttered up there...)
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 18:02   #6
cruiser

Yes, very useful during docking procedures using a remote to keep unwanted hands away, and the horn is very nice.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:43   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

67Therapy, Here's what I've been using for some time: Marine

It's pretty cool. You sail or motor into the anchorage and quietly drop the hook with no apparent discussion, unless you're close enough to spy the headsets. I started using these when working in different parts of a boat and needed to effectively communicate with my helper, tracing wires or doing work at the masthead. No yelling, talking in normal tones, it makes you look superhuman in your ability to communicate discretely. I'm going to eventually get a better, more weatherproof system, but these work fine in all but the windiest conditions. They are transformative in making you and your crew communicate. Duplex means they operate at two different frequencies so you can cross-talk (not that anyone would interrupt the master of the vessel in his directives).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leocopy.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	70986  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:46   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you sail in fog, the automatic fog horn feature is useful.

Mark
This. Also, while I use a hands-free Family Band headset to communication from bow to helm while anchoring, it's still "push-to-talk". Instructions are better given from the helm through the hailer, and the person on the bow handling ground tackle can reply with a (small and distinctive) set of hand/arm signals.

If you are a practised cruising couple, very few words will be required, but it's a nice thing to have, particularly if the distance is longish and the wind is up. I have pretty good hearing, but if I'm at the wheel and you're only as far forward as the mast in 30 knots, if you turn your face away from directly at me while shouting, I won't be able to hear you.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:50   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Therapy View Post
Hmm. Had not heard of this, so I googled this listening function...interesting. People use it to hear folks on the dock or other boats when the radio is in PA mode.

Will this work on the deck of the boat? It's hard to hear one another when anchoring and the engine is running. Our hand signal drill when anchoring/docking is always entertaining. I wonder if the PA/Listening mode would enable communications from the bow to the helm...(maybe I don't want to hear what is really uttered up there...)

Yes, listening works like a champ. Not only with crew on your foredeck, but also with dock hands. I can easily hear which lines have been set or cast off, as the crew calls out each one... and they can certainly hear me if for some reason we need to alter the normal routine.

I often pass instructions to the dock (and the foredeck) via hailer; which pile or cleat to put the line on, etc. It's also especially useful when our forward enclosure is completely closed... so no "yelling" required (even though your volume control is part of that equation).

As mentioned, the auto features for fog signals is also good to have.

-Chris
Old 24-11-2013, 07:53   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

This. Also, while I use a hands-free Family Band headset to communication from bow to helm while anchoring, it's still "push-to-talk". Instructions are better given from the helm through the hailer, and the person on the bow handling ground tackle can reply with a (small and distinctive) set of hand/arm signals.
We sometimes use FR radios, too, with hands-free voice-activated (VOX) headsets... but that takes some getting used to, since there seems to be about a 3 second delay between "start talk" and "actually transmit" (so we have to work a bit to get the first few words out).

In any case, the hailer is better in that sense... but ours isn't hands free... and that'd be a virtue, too.

-Chris
Old 24-11-2013, 08:00   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
67Therapy, Here's what I've been using for some time: Marine

It's pretty cool. You sail or motor into the anchorage and quietly drop the hook with no apparent discussion, unless you're close enough to spy the headsets. I started using these when working in different parts of a boat and needed to effectively communicate with my helper, tracing wires or doing work at the masthead. No yelling, talking in normal tones, it makes you look superhuman in your ability to communicate discretely. I'm going to eventually get a better, more weatherproof system, but these work fine in all but the windiest conditions. They are transformative in making you and your crew communicate. Duplex means they operate at two different frequencies so you can cross-talk (not that anyone would interrupt the master of the vessel in his directives).
Yes, I have a pair of Cobra FB radios with headsets I bought 10 years back that are just like this, with private channels...cost: about $60 for the pair. Their range is feeble...maybe a mile?...but I've even used them to contact between boats in an anchorage. They "ring" just like a phone, and take four AAA batteries.

For something I thought would be a toy walkie-talkie to amuse my kid, they've paid for themselves several times over the years.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 11:48   #12

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Therapy View Post
Be careful about the listening function. Not all hailers have it.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote