Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 03:54   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
H5000 Pilot

Anyone have experience with the H5000 autopilot computer?

I'm helping a friend with an electronics refit on a Discovery 67, which has a Jefa autopilot.

We're going with a full B&G system with H5000 computer.

What about the H5000 pilot computer? Worth it?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:36   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: H5000 Pilot

I founf this link for the manual. No opinion on it.

https://productimageserver.com/liter...al/84018OM.pdf
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

post this question on sailing anarchy-- the 5000 is more a racing thing
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:49   #4

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

When someone spends a fortune on something, their subconscious is automatically conditioned, and from then on there is nothing else that works better in the world.
That happens with everything: Cars, stereos, boats ... Absolutely with everything.

If you are almost convinced that this is the best, you will not change with the advice of anyone, and you will try to avoid criticism when you have already spent the money. So buy it, install it and enjoy it.

I believe that sailing is an art with a scientific basis and I learned what I know in the world of regattas. I am a few years older and I think that the vision of the sea is much better than that of one or many displays.

I apologize for being rude, but I am sincerely saying this.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 01:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
When someone spends a fortune on something, their subconscious is automatically conditioned, and from then on there is nothing else that works better in the world.
That happens with everything: Cars, stereos, boats ... Absolutely with everything.

If you are almost convinced that this is the best, you will not change with the advice of anyone, and you will try to avoid criticism when you have already spent the money. So buy it, install it and enjoy it.

I believe that sailing is an art with a scientific basis and I learned what I know in the world of regattas. I am a few years older and I think that the vision of the sea is much better than that of one or many displays.

I apologize for being rude, but I am sincerely saying this.
What is this all about? Maybe posting after a couple of drinks? What do you think this adds to the discussion?

I have no experience with the H5000 pilot and no knowledge about it, and am not "almost convinced" about anything. For all I know it's just a rebranded AC42. Or on the contrary, maybe it's really good. I am asking if anyone has any actual experience or knowledge, of which I have none, and no prejudices one way or the other.

It's a natural question since we are going with other elements of the H5000 system.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 13-09-2021, 03:04   #6

Boat: Oyster 66

I looked into it a year ago when I was specifying a new one. I reckoned the basic pilot was good enough for a heavy, slow responding cruiser like mine or the Discovery 67. For a racing or performance yacht or a performance cat I would choose it.
poiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I looked into it a year ago when I was specifying a new one. I reckoned the basic pilot was good enough for a heavy, slow responding cruiser like mine or the Discovery 67. For a racing or performance yacht or a performance cat I would choose it.

Thanks.

You're using the AC42?

I can't say that I'm all that crazy about mine.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-09-2021, 06:15   #8

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

The Jefa is the rudder drive unit and in the end is just a DC motor with some type of gear reducer and clutching unit (skipping hydraulic for the moment). No electrical magic here.

The electrical bridge motor drive unit has not changed much over the years, the big recent improvement came with the addition of a heading rate sensor and more recently a solid state compass to replace the old gimballed fluxgates.

Adding a rudder position sensor to the mix will always improve the performance of most AP systems.

At a basic level the rudder does not control the vessel heading but the turn rate. Changing heading is a rate/ time integration process (we all do it without thinking hand steering) but sensing the thing you are controlling almost always works better.

Most else on a modern AP is just like a Christmas tree (some like a lot of decorations, some not so much).

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 15:37   #9

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks.

You're using the AC42?

I can't say that I'm all that crazy about mine.
NAC-3 and Triton 2 and keypad. Rudder sensor and Maretron compass. It’s fine for me. I also have a Fastnet to N2K interface adapter so I can use my old wind and depth sensors.
poiu is online now   Reply With Quote