Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 22:49   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36
GX2150 VHF/DSC - Auto POS Polling-works?

My Standard Horizon GX2150 has been installed for many years and seems to work fine. In particular, the routine DSC functions of Individual Call, Group Call, Position Request & Report, and DSC Test all work.

However, recently I attempted to use the Auto POS Polling function for the first time and it does not seem to work. I can confirm that it does work on the SH HX870 handheld.

Can anyone with a GX2150 confirm that Auto POS Polling works on this model?
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: GX2150 VHF/DSC - Auto POS Polling-works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
My Standard Horizon GX2150 has been installed for many years and seems to work fine. In particular, the routine DSC functions of Individual Call, Group Call, Position Request & Report, and DSC Test all work.

However, recently I attempted to use the Auto POS Polling function for the first time and it does not seem to work. I can confirm that it does work on the SH HX870 handheld.

Can anyone with a GX2150 confirm that Auto POS Polling works on this model?
Are you trying to poll other vessels? Or respond to an incoming request?

In either case, the Manual suggests it should work. Do you have GPS connected and is the radio showing GPS position?
Old 19-12-2018, 14:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you, Richard, for your response.

Yes, a GPS is connected and the radio shows the GPS position. And yes, I'm trying to poll other vessels using the Auto POS Poll function. (The radio is also connected to an MFD which shows the position of vessels responding to a Position Request call.)

And yes, the manual suggests it should work.

The function is apparently designed to periodically poll up to 4 other vessels (presumably via a recurring DSC Position Request message) and then show a TEST ACK message as a response from the polled station is received. I do not see that when the function is set up to poll a nearby station.

I believe that the relative positions of the other vessels may also be displayed on a "radar-ring" display as the Position Report messages are received (although the manual does not specify). The periodicity of the poll is user selectable in the setup.

Nevertheless, while Position Request does work (and such transmissions and the receipt of a Position Report are routinely recorded in my DSC log), the Auto POS Poll does not seem to work (an no entries appear in the TX or RX logs).

So I'm wondering if anyone else with this radio has actually verified that the function works.

I should note that I also have a newer HX890 handheld, and its manual documents the Auto POS Poll function as well. But it does not work, either, in testing--possibly because the "Class H" HX890 does NOT support the DSC Position Request function. The earlier HX870 does support Position Request and I have confirmed that Auto POS Poll on the HX870 does work.
Old 20-12-2018, 15:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I made a mistake. The Auto POS Polling function does work on the GX2150.

It just takes a while (and some patience) for the POS Reply messages to come rolling in from the polled stations. And the polled stations must be configured to automatically respond to a Position Request call or the operator at the polled station must accept the request in order to release a reply.

Each incoming POS Reply message is duly recorded in the RX OTHER Log. However, the POS Request(s) that are "automatically" sent out are not recorded in the TX Log. So unless you receive an affirmative POS Reply, its unclear if the function is working.

The frequency of polling is controlled by the AUTO POS INTERVAL parameter set in the DSC SETUP menu. Choices range from 1 to 40 minutes. What that means, in practice, is that one station (of the list) is polled every interval. So if you set the interval to 1 minute and are polling 4 stations, then each station is polled every 4 minutes.

And, while the manual indicates you should see a TEST ACK message from a responding station, you in fact see a POS Reply/Routine class message.
Old 20-12-2018, 17:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Interesting.. Good to know!

Tags
dsc, poll, vhf