Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 11:38   #1

Guidance systems

Hello everyone, I have a question about integrating two different electronic components. I have installed on my boat at this time, a Tailfin Kicker guidance system by PowrTran. It is remote control but is not an Autopilot. I've heard that some folks have installed a Raymarine EV-100 autopilot with their Tailfin successfully. If anyone has heard anything on this topic, I would be extremely grateful for your advice. I've noticed that most of the Raymarine guidance kits come with the piston acuator to turn the trolling motor, but the Tailfin I currently have installed already has this, and so I'm good there, I just need the guidance system.

I was told by Steven Hiemenz (one of the owners of Tailfin and PowrTran), that he's heard of some people successfully integrating the Tailfin and Raymarine EV-100 together. He also told me he hasn't heard of anyone doing it with a Garmin system.

I should probably also state that my main fishfinder is a Humminbird Helix 10 MSI 3rd generation.

Thanks,

Bart Nordstrom
theputterguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Guidance systems

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bart.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:09   #3

I just got off the phone with Raymarine technical dept. They told me that they do not make an auto pilot system for a trolling motor. So now I'm wondering if there's a Garmin Reactor series that will work with the TailFin actuator that I have?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:09   #4

[QUOTE=theputterguy54;3355329]I just got off the phone with Raymarine technical dept. They told me that they do not make an auto pilot system for a trolling motor. So now I'm wondering if there's a Garmin Reactor series that will work with the TailFin actuator that I have?
Old 07-03-2021, 20:50   #5

normal pilot computers will put out a +12v / -12v volt signal to move a motor to port or stb. if whatever you have is looking for a power signal to move it. then a raymarine, simrad, or garmin mech refit kit will all be the exact same.

actually Garmin will require a rudder feed back so that will be harder. the raymarine is optional rudder feed back.

if it's looking for something more advanced like data. then a normal pilot is not going to work off the shelf

these systems will try to hold a moving boat at a heading. it's not going to hold a boat in a single spot.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 21:01   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theputterguy54 View Post
I just got off the phone with Raymarine technical dept. They told me that they do not make an auto pilot system for a trolling motor. So now I'm wondering if there's a Garmin Reactor series that will work with the TailFin actuator that I have?
I would expect Raymarine to tell you every thing you have needs to be Raymarine and new Raymarine at that.

What smac said.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:57   #7

Thank you Smac & Scubaseas, I really appreciate you taking some of your valuable time to respond to my inquiry.

Actually, since I posted my inquiry, I've been in touch with Steven Hiemenz, the owner of PowrTran.com and the maker of the TailFin (my steering system). He put me in touch with a guy in Milwaukee who fishes Lake Michigan. Apparently he succeeded with installing a Raymarine EV-100 guidance system onto his tailfin. If you'd like to know more, I'll be happy to post his story and instructions?

ThePutterguy