Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 08:49   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
First I have to check the back of a few trucks leaving the Airmar factory.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:08   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Knot Stick

Reliable knotmeter with no holes in the boat, batteries not included:

Knotstick Sailboat Speedometers

$45 USD
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:08   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
This has turned into a great topic. I forgot that radar can calculate speed also. In a sense, radar can also be a back up for a failed GPS. I'm so low tech that I had never heard of doppler units. I probably could not afford one anyways. I also wonder why the manufacturers of knot meters do not build them to be calibrated at low speed (say 2 knots) and a higher speed (say 6+ knots). This would certainly correct the problem I experienced. On Faiaoahe we were offshore of the Ca. coast heading south towards tropical depression "Boris" this summer. With 50% of the Yankee only, the log read 6-7 knots. We were probably doing 8+. The vessel was doing fine but if I had known, I would have switched to the staysail.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:30   #19

Boat: Norseman 447
Removed our 20yr old speed log and used hole to install our forward looking sounder, GPS speed is fine by me, we're cruisers not racers
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:51   #20

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Provided that your log is reasonably accurately calibrated (and that is not a difficult exercise, in general), I think that having both is a good thing.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 15:38   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
If you read my first post, you'll see that the log I had was not able to be calibrated over the whole range of speed. I wonder if everyone checked theirs at 2, 4, and 6 knots with their GPS if they would find the same error that i did...25%.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 17:08   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If you read my first post, you'll see that the log I had was not able to be calibrated over the whole range of speed. I wonder if everyone checked theirs at 2, 4, and 6 knots with their GPS if they would find the same error that i did...25%.

Along with the Doppler, we had a complete B&G system that was used more for a convenience monitoring solution in the crew lounge, officer’s cabins, my office and guest areas.

I did note that the speed log when compared to the Doppler in water reading mode, was always off by at least 5% and up to 30% in a Seaway.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote