Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 13:27   #1

Boat: Seaward 26RK
GPS stand along device for Raymarine VHF radio?

I have Raymarine A70D MFD with malfunctioning screen. The only reason I keep it because it feeds GPS coordinates(via hardwires) to Raymarine VHF radio model RAY55 for distress call purpose.

I'd like to get rid of MFD A70D to free space for the tablet.

What is the good and reliable stand alone GPS receiver for this purpose? Has c anyone done it?

Does it have to be Raymarine VHF radio compatible?

thank you.
facciatosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 14:13   #2

Re: GPS stand along device for Raymarine VHF radio?

I think the input is NMEA 183 so in theory any smart GPS sensor with NMEA 183 output can feed the info into the unit. Having said that I have not been successful in doing same to my Icom 802 SSB but have into Icom 602. Different radios need particular NMEA sentences. Your manual might tell you or a call to Raymarine Tec should be able to tell you. Somebody here might have same VHF and enlighten us.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
I think the input is NMEA 183 so in theory any smart GPS sensor with NMEA 183 output can feed the info into the unit. Having said that I have not been successful in doing same to my Icom 802 SSB but have into Icom 602. Different radios need particular NMEA sentences. Your manual might tell you or a call to Raymarine Tec should be able to tell you. Somebody here might have same VHF and enlighten us.
thank you. Found it. It is NMEA 183.
Old 23-01-2021, 16:50   #4

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Older Garmin GPS units like the G{S72 and GPS12 have an I/O port on the back of the unit. They are NMEA183 and should work. I use both; one for my autopilot and one for my Standard Horizon DSC Radio. Sorry. I don't know if they will work with your radio.

Whichever GPS you decide to get make sure it has an data out so you can get the NMEA data. The data in is not really needed.

Word of warning: There was recently an upgrade to the GPS system that may have affected older units. The two I have were not affected. I cannot remember what the system update was but it was all over the internet. Someone might remember what it was called.

added - Found it - GPS Rollover of 3/2020
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:55   #5

if you want a marine anteanna, one of the only choices left in nmea 183 is the garmin 19hvs. (not the 19x)

there are likely cheaper non marine options.

or you could replace the VHF with one that has built in GPS.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 17:15   #6

Stand alone fixed station GPS navigator option could be Furuno GP39. Navigation data output on NMEA 0183 to autopilot, VHF, etc. They are available for about $400. Or, as mentioned buy a new VHF with built in GPS.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 17:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
i

or you could replace the VHF with one that has built in GPS.
Yes, replacing the radio is a good option. Better have one piece of equipment than two. Need to check price difference between two options.
Old 23-01-2021, 18:00   #8

Boat: Antares 44i

For ~$135 you can get a Quark Electronics AIS receiver with built-in GPS and lots of other nifty features including NMEA-0183 in/out. I used on for a while on my last boat and kept it around as a backup when I moved up to an AIS transceiver. You need to add an external GPS antenna - I used a ~$15 puck style that worked fine. You also need to connect a VHF antenna for AIS.

Check it out on Amazon - just search QK-A026 there.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 18:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
For ~$135 you can get a Quark Electronics AIS receiver with built-in GPS and lots of other nifty features including NMEA-0183 in/out. I used on for a while on my last boat and kept it around as a backup when I moved up to an AIS transceiver. You need to add an external GPS antenna - I used a ~$15 puck style that worked fine. You also need to connect a VHF antenna for AIS.

Check it out on Amazon - just search QK-A026 there.
Thank you. I will check it out.
Old 23-01-2021, 19:17   #10

Boat: Beneteau 323

Wouldn't a separate GPS antenna with NMEA output work?

https://smile.amazon.com/ADIGA-Nauti...454480&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Standard-Ho...1454480&sr=8-3
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:24   #11

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

I have both system in my boat .Seatalk and High speed network using a marine Gps trough a NMEA 183 and it work fine plus a backup gps antenna .The radio have their own Gps connected directly to back of it The raymarine AIS is attach to the net too .
good luck
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:34   #12

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

There are many repair video for Raymarine MFDs that are functioning but have display problems. I repaired a Raymarine unit of our neighbors one afternoon while moored in the bay of Naples.

Disassemble everything and thoroughly clean all the flexible flat cables connecting all the PCBs and other elements in the housing. Some recommand to use WD40 on these connectors but I did not and the display came back to life.

That was 4 or 5 years ago and last summer it was still operational. Good luck, it is a cheap solution worth trying.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:45   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

I added a Digital Yacht AIT2500 AIS transponder to our Raymarine Seatalk NG network and it is supplying GPS data to all the Raymarine instruments including the Ray 55. Also added the Digital Yacht Navlink 2 so we can have data (GPS, AIS, wind direction, windspeed, temp, depth, boat speed and SOG) sent via ethernet to our switch, then to the Pepwave router which WiFis it to our iPads and iPhones. WiFi appears to be far more reliable than any Bluetooth solution, at least on a boat. Works with Navionics, iNavx and Aquamaps which we use simultaneously. However with iOS 14 we have found that Aquamaps crashes when receiving WiFi data.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 15:36   #14

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

If all you want to do is get a GPS for input to the VHF then you can get one for $40: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Ship...r/313328751580 . You might want to consider a more modern GPS with support for GLONASS, Galileo, and BeiDu, for just a little more (usually they contain a uBlox 8 module). The more expensive units are not built any better or do anything different - they are just more expensive, and possibly backed by better customer service. The important thing is to buy a GPS that not only uses 12v power, but also outputs using 12v; the GPS module inside typically outputs at TTL levels (3.3v or 5v) but you want a 12v output for NMEA 0183. I bought one that said 12v power but turned out to have TTL output - easy enough to fix with a little extra hardware but not desirable.

[Edit: I would recommend getting this one, as it has the uBlox 8 module inside (a quality product) and defaults to GPS and GLONASS reception. It is possible to receive Galileo, probably as a third system, if you want to program it using a computer with a serial adapter running Linux, or for a really steep learning curve a Windows box. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEITIAN-RS-...9/362932122057 ]

Another alternative is to buy an AIS unit and pipe its GPS data to the VHF. In this case I strongly recommend buying a proper Class B transceiver, not just a receiver. Consider that it is a whole lot easier for you to see a freighter than for them to see you; broadcasting your AIS data is very useful for preventing close calls or worse.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 16:22   #15

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

I use a garmin 18x-lvc and a dc-dc power supply to feed gps to the radio. The dc-dc is wired to the radio power, so when the radio is powered so is the gps. Its standalone so satisfies any safety minded fear of sharing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, hf radio, marine, radio, raymarine, vhf