Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 09:02   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
GPS For Multiple Devices Via Bluetooth

I am looking for a GPS device that can talk to multiple computers at the same time via bluetooth. My first attempt at solving this didn't go so well - I did not know that most bluetooth links are only one to one so I screwed up there but then, to my dismay, the GPS unit I ended up with automatically shuts itself off whenever it hasn't moved for a while (I think).
Most specs do not discuss these little details so I am hoping maybe somebody has found a GPS unit that can be placed in the boat that runs 24/7/365 and can talk to at least three computers at the same time.
The idea here is primarily to get rid of the darn pucks that are wired and a nuisance to deal with when you move the computer a lot.

Thanks!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:53   #2

Re: GPS For Multiple Devices Via Bluetooth

get a garmin 19x nmea 183 antenna and wire to the 3 computers as serial data.

this is a marine solution, for a boat. funny that.

if they are laptops then consider a nmea to wifi setup. if you go this route you probably get a nmea2000 antenna instead.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:58   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

get an imux, put all your nav data into it, and use WiFi to receive on multiple devices.
Wish I had one.
Old 09-09-2016, 13:09   #4
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
get a garmin 19x nmea 183 antenna and wire to the 3 computers as serial data.

this is a marine solution, for a boat. funny that.

if they are laptops then consider a nmea to wifi setup. if you go this route you probably get a nmea2000 antenna instead.
I was thinking bluetooth but had not thought about going via wifi .... some more pondering is needed.
Old 09-09-2016, 13:16   #5
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
get an imux, put all your nav data into it, and use WiFi to receive on multiple devices.
Wish I had one.
Thanks! Interesting product, lots of links to research but a quick glance did not reveal a rough price. Brookhouse wants me to contact them for a price. Is this the typical 'if you have to ask you can't afford it' predicament ?
Old 09-09-2016, 13:47   #6

We use a Garmen Glo Bluetooth GPS and Glonass reciever. So far so good for accuracy. We have 2 pads and 1 computer connected.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 14:47   #7
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
We use a Garmen Glo Bluetooth GPS and Glonass reciever. So far so good for accuracy. We have 2 pads and 1 computer connected.
Thanks for posting that. Just to confirm (manual does not specify) you have 3 devices connected via bluetooth at the SAME time ... right?
If you leave the Glo alone and have it connected directly to the battery it doesn't at any time decide to turn itself off?

This might be just what I am looking for if you can confirm those details.

Edit:
I have just confirmed that the newest firmware on the Glo allows 4 simultaneous connections. One additional issue showed up though .... apparently the Glo turns itself off if it does not get bluetooth requests within a short period of time. I wonder if the Glo turns itself 'on' automatically if it turned itself off because of no bluetooth request and then a computer is turned on asking for a bluetooth connection.
In other words, can I hide the Glo in the electronics bay or do I need to leave it accessible to manually turn it on when I need it ? Does it only turn itself off when on battery power or does it do so even if it is externally powered ?
Old 09-09-2016, 17:29   #8

A piece of software you may find useful in your working around your problem is Franson GPSGate. It will listen to a GPS stream on one comm port and transmit that stream on several other comm ports. From recollection, I think the free version of GPSGate transmits on up to 3 ports, the paid version more.

Note also that the GLO is designed for iOS devices and you may need third party software to connect to Windows and android devices. GPSGate can be helpful in connecting to windows devices, particularily Windows 10 devices. The manual configuration of GPSGate can be used to force the windows device to recognise the GLO as a GPS, and connect.

For android devices use BlootoothGPS app.....see the Garmin site for instructions on how to connect.

As far as the GLO turning itself off, I think a manual restart is required...at least that is the case with mine, which is old, and I don't have the latest firmware installed.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 18:48   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I was thinking bluetooth but had not thought about going via wifi .... some more pondering is needed.
You may wish to consider contacting Jeff at Vesper Marine, whose AIS system with dedicated GPS can be shared wirelessly.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 21:29   #10
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You may wish to consider contacting Jeff at Vesper Marine, whose AIS system with dedicated GPS can be shared wirelessly.
An AIS system from Vesper is on the wish list but unfortunately is not in the budget at this time.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:48   #11
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

I worked for Merrill Lynch and Hewlett Packard fot many years. I find it interesting how little coordination there is among product manufacturers, especilly when it comes to electronics. Similar to the technology/networking environment years ago among manufacturers.

I had to read twice when i read
Cat 5. I bought a complete Simrad/Navico setup and found little cross platform integration information to speak of.

A suggestion for you about dropping your connection no GPS data is coming through.

1. Is there a refresh setting you can setup for automatic refresh after 30, 60, 120 second intervals.
2. By chance is there a sleep setting, that is set to off, anywhere.
Coming out of a sleep setting you can sometimes lose the conbection between devices or apps.

Good luck.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:57   #12

Boat: Krogen, Cutter 38

IMHO best way to go is use hard wiring to connect things together (NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, Ethernet) then connect to the computers via Wi-Fi.

Look into interfaces from ShipModul.

ShipModul Marine Electronics

They have several units that convert NMEA to Wi-Fi.

I have used them professionally and personally for lots of applications.
Also Actisense.

Actisense - Home - Manufacturers of Marine Electronics

Be sure to thin about what you want to do now and what you want to do in the future.
Richfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:38   #13

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

I am in the process of upgrading from the Brookhouse mux to Digital Yachts iKonnect. Solves your request for about +/- $300 and future proofs your system. Google is your friend.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I am looking for a GPS device that can talk to multiple computers at the same time via bluetooth. My first attempt at solving this didn't go so well - I did not know that most bluetooth links are only one to one so I screwed up there but then, to my dismay, the GPS unit I ended up with automatically shuts itself off whenever it hasn't moved for a while (I think).
Most specs do not discuss these little details so I am hoping maybe somebody has found a GPS unit that can be placed in the boat that runs 24/7/365 and can talk to at least three computers at the same time.
The idea here is primarily to get rid of the darn pucks that are wired and a nuisance to deal with when you move the computer a lot.

Thanks!
r

You can easily do this with a raspberry PI, and share ALL nmea data over WIFI for less than $ 50,- Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:08   #15

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

This guy:

https://www.vyacht.net/

Works great. Less expensive than Brookhouse. I'm upgraded from Brookhouse USB.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps