Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 07:25   #1

Globalstar Update?

Anyone hear or know anything about how Globalstar is faring in terms of getting its second generation satellites online? They originally claimed that they would be starting to come online by the end of 2009, and now are saying summer 2010. This timing may be significant because, as some may know, GS has been offering a "great" service plan of $34.95/month for unlimited usage. This offer expires March 31, 2010.

So, if the service is going to be improved for this coming North American sailing season, taking advantage of this offer before the end of March to lock in the pricing might be worthwhile. For me/us in particular, if it would be reliable in time for June, I'd consider using it for our rally. But we can't have a scenario where we can't connect to our twice-daily skeds.

Anyone have any info?
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 08:01   #2
Eternal Member

Daniel,

Good question.

According to the latest press release on their website dated Jan 14, we can look forward to a "summertime launch". Also, they're making extensive preparations for additional services.

GLOBALSTAR PREPARES FOR LAUNCH OF SECOND- GENERATION SATELLITES

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 08:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Daniel,

Good question.

According to the latest press release on their website dated Jan 14, we can look forward to a "summertime launch". Also, they're making extensive preparations for additional services.

GLOBALSTAR PREPARES FOR LAUNCH OF SECOND- GENERATION SATELLITES

Bill
Yup, I saw that, which is what prompted my post. I sent in an email asking if they are expecting to have the constellation online by June, which is the significant date for me. If I hear anything I'll pass the word.

It would be great if GS could get online. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Globalstar